Sponsored

569 2018 Gt350s for sale on Car Gurus

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I was going to buy a tricked out 2019 GT PP1. I drove one. Then I drove a Shelby. For what I key in on, it is totally worth it. I just bought one of those remaindered 2018 at a good discount, because I didn't want the tires (nor perhaps the suspension tuning) of the 2019's. On paper the Shelby is a poor value proposition, to be sure--because the GT (optioned to max) includes more "bits" that most folks interact with everyday (versus, say, the brake cooling ducts on the Shelby). I know all this, and bought one anyway.

Oh, and I'm selling (you could say trading) a Lotus Exige 240S for the Shelby--not a 911, but I could see doing that as well.
Sponsored

vancouver_voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
GT350 2019
I was in the market for a new car. I drove the GT and while I was impressed by the car it didn’t have me hooked. Nothing wrong with it. It’s a great car and had a ton of new features compared to my EcoBoost. But It didn’t offer me anything than a V8. I thought why buy the same car again when I can get another car to drive with all the luxury features of a GT and more.

When I stepped into the 350 and drove the car, I experienced something completely different. From the sound of the starting the car to reving it on the highway to making turns, I was hooked. If you just look at numbers on paper and never get to experience it you’ll not understand why a fully loaded GT and 350 are in their own class. On paper GT looks better on paper I agree if you care for all the extra features but in the end it’s a regular Mustang. 350 is an experience. I’m not too savvy on cars so take this from someone who would be your average person making a decision about a car. If I had to describe it. Just watch the Jay Leno’s 350 video and you’ll know the feeling he had is the same one I had first time driving it. And for me the price alone is worth it for that experience. Would have never bought one if I didn’t get to try one.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
On paper the Shelby is a poor value proposition, to be sure--because the GT (optioned to max) includes more "bits" that most folks interact with everyday (versus, say, the brake cooling ducts on the Shelby). I know all this, and bought one anyway.

Oh, and I'm selling (you could say trading) a Lotus Exige 240S for the Shelby--not a 911, but I could see doing that as well.
^^^The below is not necessarily directed to you, only the applicable parts.

The GT looks good on paper, but the difference between the 350 and GT (PP1 and 2) is significant enough to justify the difference. A big difference between the two that many overlook are coolers and cooling ability. A closer look at the main differences between the two cars (engine, front end, wheels/tires, aero, etc) justify the price difference. The 350 is an OEM track car out of the box. The GT PP1 or 2 is not.

If anyone has convinced themselves that they don't care about the differences, great, go buy a PP1 or 2. However, it is wrong to try to convince people that the differences are not cost justified.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody knows a GT350 is just a mustang with minimal differences (especially the R).

I very deliberately lined up the non-R's feature sets and built an ~equivalent car from Ford's website. Even adding the 2K bump for the PP2, the feature sheet are practically identical and the price premium is difficult to explain away.

despite the front end redesign from the A pillars forward, the exotic flat plane crank being unique to the car
There isn't a lick of useful difference between a GT+PP+Magnaride and 350 in the sheetmetal, cradle, or suspension. They both run the same electronic dampers. Springs cost next to nothing.

The 5-axis CNC machine that runs off a flat-plane or a traditional crank takes the ~same amount of time to do either design. There is nothing special about that hunk of metal where it concerns the manufacturing thereof. The cost is a wash. Porting the head (again just a CNC milling routine) is not expensive in the least - maybe a couple hundred dollars in machine time. Differences in pistons and rods both in metalergy, and treatments and such are worth something but likely well under $200 a set (x8). So ballpark the 5.2 engine has price delta of 2 grand.
There really aren't many differences except pricing and badging.
I've driven both. and yes it is mostly badging and intangibles. Sure, the 350 drove better than the PP but not remotely 15K worth. For a mere 3K to put Ohlins at 4 corners or even splurging 8K on a set of Penskes the GT so equipped will run rings around the factory car. Though if one were able to fully-retune the Magnaride algorithms that could be very interesting.

All of you who were happy to pay the Shelby markup have any number of reasons to justify doing so and I hope you're enjoying the car to your satisfaction The OP asked a question, I answered it from the point of view of a person who very recently had a choice of buying a 350 or a GT+PP and looking at it dispassionately. The Shelby brand means little or nothing to me and I suspect a lot of others who are likewise considering the trade-offs. I somewhat regret getting the PP because I could have spent the same 4 grand on the base model and gotten a hell of a lot more car. Still it only cost me 33k+tax so I can trivially spend 5 grand on it and still end up having a better handling car than the 350 except maybe being short 500 RPM which isn't important since I don't race.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
I very deliberately lined up the non-R's feature sets and built an ~equivalent car from Ford's website. Even adding the 2K bump for the PP2, the feature sheet are practically identical and the price premium is difficult to explain away.

There isn't a lick of useful difference between a GT+PP+Magnaride and 350 in the sheetmetal, cradle, or suspension. They both run the same electronic dampers. Springs cost next to nothing.

The 5-axis CNC machine that runs off a flat-plane or a traditional crank takes the ~same amount of time to do either design. There is nothing special about that hunk of metal where it concerns the manufacturing thereof. The cost is a wash. Porting the head (again just a CNC milling routine) is not expensive in the least - maybe a couple hundred dollars in machine time. Differences in pistons and rods both in metalergy, and treatments and such are worth something but likely well under $200 a set (x8). So ballpark the 5.2 engine has price delta of 2 grand.

I've driven both. and yes it is mostly badging and intangibles. Sure, the 350 drove better than the PP but not remotely 15K worth. For a mere 3K to put Ohlins at 4 corners or even splurging 8K on a set of Penskes the GT so equipped will run rings around the factory car. Though if one were able to fully-retune the Magnaride algorithms that could be very interesting.

All of you who were happy to pay the Shelby markup have any number of reasons to justify doing so and I hope you're enjoying the car to your satisfaction The OP asked a question, I answered it from the point of view of a person who very recently had a choice of buying a 350 or a GT+PP and looking at it dispassionately. The Shelby brand means little or nothing to me and I suspect a lot of others who are likewise considering the trade-offs. I somewhat regret getting the PP because I could have spent the same 4 grand on the base model and gotten a hell of a lot more car. Still it only cost me 33k+tax so I can trivially spend 5 grand on it and still end up having a better handling car than the 350 except maybe being short 500 RPM which isn't important since I don't race.
You can tell yourself that all day long, I own both and there is a huge difference. GT is a Grand Touring car and the GT350 is a factory built race car. I guarantee you can't make them equal with $15k.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Still it only cost me 33k+tax so I can trivially spend 5 grand on it and still end up having a better handling car than the 350 except maybe being short 500 RPM which isn't important since I don't race.
Here at first I thought you weren't trolling. Better handling, huh? :crackup:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The 350 and 350R were built for a very specific buyer/enthusiast. If you're cross shopping Mustangs and view the 350 or 350R as an optioned Mustang, then yes it's not for you. We knew there was going to be turn-over from buyers who didn't really know what this car was about. Buying a car is a personal and emotional decision. For me, the 350/R remains one of the bargains in the track sports car world. The experience is more visceral than when I test drove a 570S. If a Mustang GT satisfies you, then that's the car for you. There's no point in wasting time coming into a forum trying to tell people how a Mustang GT is "practically as good." For me, one of the most enlightening experiences in owning my R was the kind of attention and admiration it would get from so many car enthusiasts, including ones driving far more expensive exotic machines. I'll meet someone with a GT3RS want to admire the car. However, it's always been the Mustang GT owners who want to come look at the car, and then tell me how they could have gotten one but how their car is practically the same thing for much less. That speaks volumes.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
@Demonic , that is truth. It is absolutely visceral. It goes beyond technicalities and specs. I bought my '18 R in November 2018. I test drove a several 2018 GT 5.0's as well as a ZL1 1LE. I could have bought any of those cars. I knew the specs, the 0-60's, all that stuff. But when I drove a used 2017 Grabber Blue GT350, that was it. Yes it had power, it handled like it was on rails, it had the rumble. But man, just driving that thing, I knew what I had to do. I ended up with an R, even without having test driven one.

Also the point about respect, that is true also. Apart from the thumbs ups we all get, I was at a wrap/paint correction shop locally here in so-Cal, maybe one of the premiere shops in this area. I was getting my vinyl stripes re-applied on the hood, and the cars and clientele there are "high end" folks: La Ferrari, 720s, GT3RS, 911 Turbo S, Tesla X, etc. My R was by far the least expensive car there. There was one guy, a client, who pulled up in his Porsche Panamera in that amazing chalk gray. Ends up he has 10 Porsches, including a GT2RS, 2 GT3RS, MacLaren 720s and a brand new Senna, etc. But he was a cool dude. And the point? He kept gushing about how he would totally buy an R. He gushed about its looks, how aggressive it is, how unique the Voodoo is, a true car enthusiast. I would think he would look down on me, but he just kept raving about the GT350 and how Ford got it right. He spoke about the respect the 350 has amongst his Porsche pals and on Rennlist. Seriously a filthy rich young man (the shop owner told me he owns a clothing company and also designs spoilers for cars) but one who appreciates the 350.

So yes, everything you say about this car's admiration and attention is true. Even those with exotics and supercars love the GT350/R. It's no 5.0.

IMG_20190219_110554.jpg
IMG_20190219_110602.jpg

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Really not trying to sound elitist here, but this is exactly what folks say when they justify NOT spending the extra $$$. To many of us, there’s a ton of difference between them.
That's what people say to themselves to justify spending the $$$. It's for a different market really for some of us. My base '19 GT manual was $28,777 after dealer discount. I love the car. Don't track or autocross. On the street it feels plenty competent and beastly and for what I paid, it's a joke.

Ponying up another $25-30K for a GT350? I'm sure it's better but that much better? Hell no.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
However, it's always been the Mustang GT owners who want to come look at the car, and then tell me how they could have gotten one but how their car is practically the same thing for much less. That speaks volumes.
I agree. Ford has apparently failed to make it's case to the "ignorant" public (aka me and my ilk) that there is a notable distinction to be made between an optioned out GT vs the 350 (not the -R which is a related but different increment; I don't know why the -R keeps coming up. The OP wasn't talking about the -R and neither was I in the main) even driven back to back, such that the 15K gets you a screaming deal by any reasonable metric. Anyway I don't think I have much more to add at this point. Had the 350 been priced around 50k before discount vs the GT+PP2+etc which rings up to around 39 with the usual and customary discounts, I would have been inclined to take the leap.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Its kind of funny how you characterize that there aren't many differences in the GT vs the 350. You have actually made a portion of my argument for me. Both share the S550 chassis and are built on the same line in Flat Rock together. They share many of the same parts. However the parts that are different transform the S550 GT platform into something special, the GT350.

Now, take those (lower volume) parts that are different (and more costly) like the engine, transmission, various body parts etc and then add it all up. I don't think a coyote will be the same cost as a Voodoo. Nor do I think the Tremec 3160 will be the same as the (Chinese) MT82. I could go on and on, but my point is that there is more to parts differences than time on a CNC machine.

If it were not for the commonalities of the GT, the GT350 would cost a lot more money. Despite the fact that the GT and GT350 share many of the same parts, the differences are significant enough to warrant the extra cost despite your argument. GT350 performance level is typically only found in high end European sports cars. If the GT350 was built from the ground up not sharing any common parts with the GT, many of us would not be able to afford this car. Many European sports car enthusiasts have bought the GT350 based upon its renowned reputation for being a world class road course car. I thank Ford for building this car and making this level of performance attainable for many people who would otherwise not be able to afford it.

And then there is you. You 'dis Ford and practically accuse them of ripping people off. I get the impression that you feel people are just paying for a Shelby name. I also get the impression that you feel that you could make the modifications yourself and realize the same level of performance that Ford produces (kind of like the "throw a whipple on it" crowd over in the GT500 section). Just like the GT500, the GT350 is an OEM solution. The Ford Performance division costs Ford a lot money. Ford develops specialty cars like the GT350 and the GT500 to further their reputation in motorsports and to increase sales of subsidiary units (like your GT). Ford doesn't make a whole lot of money on these specialty cars. They do it to promote the brand.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
That's what people say to themselves to justify spending the $$$. It's for a different market really for some of us. My base '19 GT manual was $28,777 after dealer discount. I love the car. Don't track or autocross. On the street it feels plenty competent and beastly and for what I paid, it's a joke.

Ponying up another $25-30K for a GT350? I'm sure it's better but that much better? Hell no.
Its always the same cheapskate rant from the same old people. Think of the level of performance the GT350 brings and price match that with a European sports car. Thank you Ford

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Given all the problems that have been experienced by past, current, and most probably new owners of the GT350, the model is absolutely not worth the premium over the GT. My two Boss 302's were bulletproof in comparison.
Oh, its Mr. doom and gloom again.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350