Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
the current 5.0 is like the 5th generation of the ford modular V8 which has like a couple dozen different mass produced iterations spanning 3 decades... it should be obvious by now that ford figured out how to build over head cam V8's (and a couple V10's) to such a degree that people were kind of shocked when they dropped the new pushrod godzilla.

its not the best thing ever but only an idiot would argue it isn't any good.
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Spend enough time on any car forum and you wind up being a "vehicular hypochondriac".

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
The problem with searching topics like this on the internet is confirmation bias. The people that have had issues are much more likely to post about their issues on the internet than the people that don't, and someone worried about having engine issues are more likely to search out topics of that nature. You have to figure that for every person here, there are a hundred or more in the real world that don't know this site exists, much less care to post about how well their car runs with only bare minimum maintenance.

Remember, Ford (and all other automakers for the most part) build these vehicles to be operated by dumber than average people without major issues. If you want a 5.0-powered Mustang, buy one and drive the hell out of it. The likelihood that you're going to have an engine problem is something along the lines of 3.4 in a million. If you're really that worried about it, invest in an aftermarket warranty or pony up for a new/CPO car. Or do all of the above.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
While I don't doubt that the Coyote has a good reliability record so far, it's worth noting that most of the high mileage success stories are about the first two generations. The third generation is quite a bit more complex, not to mention its super-duper plasma coating, which nobody knows how well will last over time.
Personally, I'm more worried about accessories and electronics than the engine per se. A mechanically perfect engine can be rendered useless by a failed injector or ECU, which in twenty years' time you may not be able to source anymore.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
....op probably read it on the internet once and
then saw it on here.................................:computerrage:

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Google garage can diagnose and fix anything.

Sponsored

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Maintain it properly and the coyote is tough to break.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Owned two worth 650+ whp. Traded the first at 14000 miles and it’s still going. Second one is at 15k and being driven 3k miles in a couple weeks. No issues unless you consider a Ford dealership doing my oil change a problem. Car runs like a raped ape. Or a scalded cat. Take your pick.

(I only put 7k a year on my cars normally)

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
The Coyote is the most durable out of the big three. Whoever told you they “go bad” needs to remove their head from their anus.
The LS/LT engines from GM have excellent reliability too. The rev counter on my C7 showed a lifetime revs over 5,200 rpm with 18,000 miles on it. I will be thrilled if I can get 3-4 years of track sessions out of my mustang.

Dodge is a big bag of garbage.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The LS/LT engines from GM have excellent reliability too. The rev counter on my C7 showed a lifetime revs over 5,200 rpm with 18,000 miles on it. I will be thrilled if I can get 3-4 years of track sessions out of my mustang.

Dodge is a big bag of garbage.
AFM engines are DOG SHIT though. Performance cars without it? Great. Brand new Tahoes with 500 miles dropping valves? Normal these days.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Spend enough time on any car forum and you wind up being a "vehicular hypochondriac".
It's cancer, isn't it doc? It's cancer, I just know it.
On the other hand, the opposite extreme - denial - is also real and, it seems to me, even stronger sometimes than hypochondria. A lot of people feel much better if they convince themselves (and others) that the issues are overrated and that the chances of a major failure happening to them are extremely slim.
Which is yet another reason why you can't trust forums on such matters.

Owned two worth 650+ whp. Traded the first at 14000 miles and it’s still going. Second one is at 15k and being driven 3k miles in a couple weeks. No issues unless you consider a Ford dealership doing my oil change a problem. Car runs like a raped ape. Or a scalded cat. Take your pick.
The LS/LT engines from GM have excellent reliability too. The rev counter on my C7 showed a lifetime revs over 5,200 rpm with 18,000 miles on it.
That kind of mileage doesn't say anything. Any car produced in the twenty-first century, even the cheapest piece of trash, should be able to achieve it extremely easily. That's like saying "my coffee machine is very reliable, because I've had it for six months and brewed ten coffees with it, and it's still going strong".
Reliability is about reaching (and hopefully exceeding) 200K miles, not 15K.
Sadly, with the third generation going back only four years, 200K mile reports are next to impossible to find yet, so we have no way of knowing how reliable this engine actually is. We can only speculate and hope for the best.
Sponsored

Last edited: