Sponsored

3rd Party CAI's basically useless on 2018+ Mustangs? With or Without tune?

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
You have a '22 so your intake does contain a carbon trap that restricts airflow. Remove it and then install a high flow air filter. You'll have the best air intake you could ask for.
Sponsored

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
and they still suck at it.

Now it may not make "sense" but a 93 tune from Unleashed really woke up the Coyote and it pulled harder and cleaner than the factory tune. Any of the GOOD tuners (that does not include Lund) can do the same thing. No, you won't necessarily get even a single HP but seriously, what's WRONG with you that 460 doesn't suffice? REV the snot out of the motor instead of dogging it below 3000 RPM. If you want more sensation get 3.73/4.09 diff gears.
what's the beef with Lund?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I would honestly expect to make 2-4 less horsepower with an aftermarket tune with a stock intake and normal 93 octane. Ford puts a lot of development into the engine tuning, and they have huge resources. They're highly motivated to get the most out of the engine safely.

For a tune to start to make sense, you probably need to be swapping out physical parts or changing fuel type (or you need them to adjust some significant variable like raising the RPM limit).
Haha what. This is complete nonsense… Tune and CAI combos put up 15-20+ hp over stock. Many people say the cai does nothing so the tune probably makes 15+hp alone.

Ford turns down the power to account for regular gas and a safety margin.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On the ‘15-17s the intake was a restriction, on the 18+s the stock one is pretty good.

as for tunes, show me a dyno from an aftermarket tuner versus the Ford both on the same entirely stock mustang which shows more hp and torque and I’ll change my stance. I’ll wait! Its not actually so easy to get gains like that.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
My IAT's definitely go up on my Mach 1 since it's using the GT350 open air intake. I don't find a problem with it because on a road course you're constantly moving and airflow is never an issue. If drag racing, closed box would be a lot better.

If you're in traffic, you aren't going anywhere so even with high IAT's pulling timing while going 2 mph isn't going to hurt you. :)
Doesn't someone sell a part to close off the GT350 airbox? Not that you want one. I think the open air design is offering some advantage when not in traffic.

Also, for those wondering if you get any power from a tune, even Ford sells an upgraded tune for 2018-2021 GT's. It uses the open airbox liek GT350 and Mach 1. I presume it will work on 2022 and 2023's as well (though it only specifies 2018-2021). Maybe with the other filter removed.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Also, for those wondering if you get any power from a tune, even Ford sells an upgraded tune for 2018-2021 GT's.
Keep in mind it's not from Ford it's a 3rd party / after market tune from Ford Performance.

Tuning alone can increase power just not significantly on its own on +18 without supported changes. Changing fuel to e85 + tune is the single best NA mod you can do. Tune plus long tubes (or in addition to e85) is also a great choice. CAI should remain stock on +18 NA cars since it flows well and keeps iats down. Just add a high flow filter to it and call it a day unless going boost.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Doesn't someone sell a part to close off the GT350 airbox? Not that you want one. I think the open air design is offering some advantage when not in traffic.

Also, for those wondering if you get any power from a tune, even Ford sells an upgraded tune for 2018-2021 GT's. It uses the open airbox liek GT350 and Mach 1. I presume it will work on 2022 and 2023's as well (though it only specifies 2018-2021). Maybe with the other filter removed.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B
I think there is something I saw at one point but yeah, I'm not worried about it. I've seen IAT's idling of 150 degrees in 102-degree heat in Texas but the second I start moving, it drops drastically but getting any cool air in mid-summer is difficult, lol.

wusthof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt vert
I should mention that I'm in Canada, where E85 is very difficult to come by.
E85 this n that for you yanks. Being Canadian, Midas well not be an option unfortunately. Sucks balls.....and the cost, well.......not even gunna get into that "if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay" bs.....

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
When it comes to cold air intakes, we would suggest pairing it with a tune to get the most out of them. Cold air by itself will net you 5-10 hp gains. We would also suggest that you get a closed air intake as this will keep the IAT temps down. Open-air elements are not favorable as they will heat soak easier and the IATs will go up if you are driving in traffic.

The tune will make the biggest difference over stock for the least amount of money. For under $700 you can get a tuner and a flex tune on your car and it will feel a World of difference over stock. I would highly recommend a tune on the car as a first mod. them an exhaust!

We also have 50 state-legal tunes for the 22 mustangs.
Do you have a link to a 22 tune for the Mach 1 that is 50 state legal?

Last edited:

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic