TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yes. It's a well-known issue.

I have a CSF aftermarket rad to try. I just haven't gotten the opportunity to put it in.
Sponsored

Dark Side

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP Fastback. 1967 Mustang Fastback
Yes. It's a well-known issue.

I have a CSF aftermarket rad to try. I just haven't gotten the opportunity to put it in.
I've been eyeing a new radiator. Any particular reason you went with CSF over any other company?

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
That's really good to hear. Also, what you're saying about the race IC makes a lot of sense. It never really added up in my head to get an IC capable of 600+hp for a 50+/- gain in HP. I'll get the street and save a couple bucks.
So you bought the charge pipes as well then? Are the stock pipes unable to connect to the upgraded IC? Or is there a real benefit to upgrading them?
Gabrial,
My car is a daily driver. I have a Garrett intercooler that they rate for 600 HP and I don't have throttle lag. Those "full race" intercoolers sit behind the front bumper bar and bumper cover so I would think a lot of the cooling air flow gets blocked reducing their effecency. Additionally unless the hole where the stock intercooler sits gets plugged in some way the cooling air will just flow around the radiator not through the radiator contributing to overheating issues. Interestingly Garrett was the only intercooler manufactuer that had actual data showing the intercooler's performance when I was planning my modifications. I am running the factory plastic hot air pipe and cold air hose with no issues with around 23-24PSIG boost pressure with my PD Tune.
Tom

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The race ic takes up the stock area and then some. Before it extends upward overlapping the rad.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
There aren't many radiator options for the Eco. I think it's just this one and the Mishi. I know a guy that knows a guy and the CSF seemed a good way to go.

In terms of intercooler, the Garrett and CVF street are essentially the same design. The Garrett has a CARB sticker, but you have to make your own with the CVF. I find absolutely zero difference in lag with this intercooler and the gain in high end breathing and heat rejection is massive.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Gabrial,
My car is a daily driver. I have a Garrett intercooler that they rate for 600 HP and I don't have throttle lag. Those "full race" intercoolers sit behind the front bumper bar and bumper cover so I would think a lot of the cooling air flow gets blocked reducing their effecency. Additionally unless the hole where the stock intercooler sits gets plugged in some way the cooling air will just flow around the radiator not through the radiator contributing to overheating issues. Interestingly Garrett was the only intercooler manufactuer that had actual data showing the intercooler's performance when I was planning my modifications. I am running the factory plastic hot air pipe and cold air hose with no issues with around 23-24PSIG boost pressure with my PD Tune.
Tom

Bang/buck, this is the best combo going. Except get the metal pipes so you can hear the turbo whistle.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
Just made this video today from two seasons ago, about half way into the third 20 minute session. Cvf street, stock charge pipes, PP radiator, 5w50 oil. i would guess it was in the 70's. Boost pressure was being limited due to temperatures, but no temp warnings were hit. Since then i changed to the cvf race and i plan on going back there this year, although it will most likely be hotter since it is in july.

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HPP. We love pics.

That is refferrencing 400 WHP but as stated above a safe tune level is generally 380 WHP to keep the block and head gasket happy. Also as stated with the HPP your turbo is a little bigger so you can make the 380 WHP easier with less boost and less stress on the motor.

350WHP is a very doable safe goal for your car.

Enjoy.

BD
It took a while, but I finally got a photo to share.

01.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost with handling package
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HPP. We love pics.

That is refferrencing 400 WHP but as stated above a safe tune level is generally 380 WHP to keep the block and head gasket happy. Also as stated with the HPP your turbo is a little bigger so you can make the 380 WHP easier with less boost and less stress on the motor.

350WHP is a very doable safe goal for your car.

Enjoy.

BD
Hello i enjoy my 2020 HPP with HP for 2 years and i am now ready to go for some tuning and MODs to improve performance. I aim for 350WHP too - how much additional torque can i expect ?
Thanks for your inputs - this forum is really helpful.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Hello i enjoy my 2020 HPP with HP for 2 years and i am now ready to go for some tuning and MODs to improve performance. I aim for 350WHP too - how much additional torque can i expect ?

Rear wheel torque should be in the area of 400/425 FT/LBs at the 350 WHP range.

BD

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

I've got a '20 as well. I highly recommend working with PD Tuning. Ryan is a very good engine guy and really knows what he's doing. You'll need an intercooler (street is fine) and get the pipes with it, because it sounds great.

Follow what he tells you to do and you'll see ~325 HP on 91 and ~350 on E30. It completely changes the car.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
You're not even seeing the IC temp unless you're running a separate OBD display. If you're going for any period of time on the stock IC, though, then it's cooking. It's for decoration only. That's a relatively easy fix, though. For ~$400 you can get a completely reasonable street IC. The real issue is water and oil temp. They are much bigger nuts to crack.
Hi, i understand the need to change the IC - do you recommend to change the water radiator as well ? I have a 2020 HPP with HP- i am considering mods and tuning to reach 350 WHP - 400 Lbs-ft. Mostly for Canyon drive and some week-ends on track, just for fun, nothing intense. Thank you all for your advises.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
I've got a '20 as well. I highly recommend working with PD Tuning. Ryan is a very good engine guy and really knows what he's doing. You'll need an intercooler (street is fine) and get the pipes with it, because it sounds great.

Follow what he tells you to do and you'll see ~325 HP on 91 and ~350 on E30. It completely changes the car.
Thank you ! That sounds like a good plan to me. where PD Tunig is based ? I am based in Raleigh NC - i would need a pro tuner to help me on this.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Thank you ! Is this Ok for the engine to go up to 425ft-Lbs ? Do you know of any limit recommended to keep the engine safe ?
It would be best to discuss all your goal and mods with the tuner to keep the HP/TQ in safe limits for your intended reliability level. PD tuning is very qualified and can do Etunes with the Cobb AP where you do datalogs per the tuners criteria and send them to him and he analyzes and revises the tune and sends it back to you to download into the AP and flash your car. Then repeat the process until the tuner is satisfied, he has reached your tuning goals and safety level.

BD
Sponsored