2020+ hpp tune question

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
Ryan Martin at PD Tuning has the reputation as the best Mustang Ecoboost tuner. Like BD said Cobb may be the only company out there with tuning device that works on HPP cars. Contact PD Tuning and talk to them, Jerrmy Sunkel is the sales director, he will answer your questions and develop a plan for you.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The other pro tuner who is popular and pretty switched on is Adam at Tune Plus. I believe Livernois does their own tuning, as well. The important part is that you're tuning *YOUR* car, not using something canned.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
The other pro tuner who is popular and pretty switched on is Adam at Tune Plus. I believe Livernois does their own tuning, as well. The important part is that you're tuning *YOUR* car, not using something canned.
I talked to Dave at Livernoris because I was interested in the ARH catted downpipe and they are a distributor. We talked about my plans for my 22 HPP and he gave me misinformation. Needless to say I would not recommend them to anyone based on my experience.
Tom

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I talked to Dave at Livernoris because I was interested in the ARH catted downpipe and they are a distributor. We talked about my plans for my 22 HPP and he gave me misinformation. Needless to say I would not recommend them to anyone based on my experience.
Tom
What kind of misinformation were you given if you don't mind me asking.

BD

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
What kind of misinformation were you given if you don't mind me asking.

BD
BD,
I had a conversation with Dave on Jan 27, 2022. I was intereated in the American Racing Headers long exhaust system and Livernoris is one of the distributors so I called them. I told Dave what my plans were for the car and he was the bearer of bad news. I was in a conversation on a post about exhaust systems "MODS ON ACTIVE EXHAUST" on this forum so I posted my results. I copied the following 2 paragraphs from that post;

I have done research and American Racing Headers has a sweet long systen that checks most of the boxes for me. I spoke to one of the dealers, Dave at Livernois Motorsports about it. The price is around $1500 which is more than I want to spend for a downpipe and Y pipe. He also told me that emission laws have changed for the 2022 model year. The 200 cell converter in aftermarket downpipesare not up to the task of the 400 cell factory converter so the Check Engine Light will stay on. And more bad news. Ford changed the engine management programming for 2022 so aftermarket tuners will have a new challange figuring that out.

There are other options for downpipes and they all are 200 cell. I see that people are putting an extender that takes the downsteam of the cat sensor out of the exhaust stream. I don't know if that will work on 2022 models, Dave made it sound like that won't work on 2022 models. Any way I see it I will probaly have to go custom for a 3" into two 2.25" Y pipe for now. I have driven more than one vehicle that had the Check Engine light on all the time. So long as the engine runs fine and gas milage is good I am ok with that. Since the light will constantly burn and it won't pass emission testing I am leaning toward a catless downpipe that will get swapped out for biannual emission testing or leave the exhaust stock.

May of this year Cobb had the Accessport for the 2022 HPP cars on the market, I installed the O2 extender and the Check Engine Light went away. So in my opinion I was given misinformation by Dave.

Tom

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
BD,
I had a conversation with Dave on Jan 27, 2022. I was intereated in the American Racing Headers long exhaust system and Livernoris is one of the distributors so I called them. I told Dave what my plans were for the car and he was the bearer of bad news. I was in a conversation on a post about exhaust systems "MODS ON ACTIVE EXHAUST" on this forum so I posted my results. I copied the following 2 paragraphs from that post;

I have done research and American Racing Headers has a sweet long systen that checks most of the boxes for me. I spoke to one of the dealers, Dave at Livernois Motorsports about it. The price is around $1500 which is more than I want to spend for a downpipe and Y pipe. He also told me that emission laws have changed for the 2022 model year. The 200 cell converter in aftermarket downpipesare not up to the task of the 400 cell factory converter so the Check Engine Light will stay on. And more bad news. Ford changed the engine management programming for 2022 so aftermarket tuners will have a new challange figuring that out.

There are other options for downpipes and they all are 200 cell. I see that people are putting an extender that takes the downsteam of the cat sensor out of the exhaust stream. I don't know if that will work on 2022 models, Dave made it sound like that won't work on 2022 models. Any way I see it I will probaly have to go custom for a 3" into two 2.25" Y pipe for now. I have driven more than one vehicle that had the Check Engine light on all the time. So long as the engine runs fine and gas milage is good I am ok with that. Since the light will constantly burn and it won't pass emission testing I am leaning toward a catless downpipe that will get swapped out for biannual emission testing or leave the exhaust stock.

May of this year Cobb had the Accessport for the 2022 HPP cars on the market, I installed the O2 extender and the Check Engine Light went away. So in my opinion I was given misinformation by Dave.

Tom
Ok, I appreciate the info and sorry you were given poor info by him. Not in his defense but at the time he may have only had that info to go on as far as what he was aware of.

I do know I am in talks with Ford performance tech about an issue with my FP tune that part of its function does not work and have been told that they are working with Livernois on developing a procal 4 tuner for the eco boosts which is a rebranded Livernois tuner, but it has yet to become reality. So, he may have actually been misinformed by ford themselves. This has been ongoing since June of this year and after Jim Farley made the decision to close plants and lay off 3000 employees, I was told Friday that the engineers working on the Procal 4 tuner were part of the layoff.

At least the aftermarket is stepping up to take care of us modders.

BD

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Out of curiosity, what kind of gains are normal on an HPP tune on 91 octane with an intercooler as the only upgrade?
I would assume it would tune better than a regular EB due to the larger turbo.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, what kind of gains are normal on an HPP tune on 91 octane with an intercooler as the only upgrade?
Metalhead,
I didn't feel any power gain or loss when I installed my Garrett intercooler. I burn 93 octane here in Maryland. The tune made the car come alive.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Maybe 75 HP & 100 ftlb, but even that's deceiving, because the Ford partial throttle mapping sucks as bad as its WOT tuning. It makes the car better basically any time it's making noise. I can even tell the difference at idle.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Maybe 75 HP & 100 ftlb, but even that's deceiving, because the Ford partial throttle mapping sucks as bad as its WOT tuning. It makes the car better basically any time it's making noise. I can even tell the difference at idle.
That's pretty significant from just a tune and intercooler upgrade. I love turbo cars.

What do you mean partial throttle mapping sucks? I haven't been following Mustangs much the past 5 years since I sold my last one.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's pretty significant from just a tune and intercooler upgrade. I love turbo cars.

What do you mean partial throttle mapping sucks? I haven't been following Mustangs much the past 5 years since I sold my last one.
Ford's idea of mixture control is all over the place. They are pig rich at WOT, very lean on cruise and irratic everywhere else.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Jesus, dude, did I get in your head or what? Good.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

The throttle blade on most cars since 2010 are electronically controlled by the PCM so there is no physical connection between your right foot and the throttle blade. The PCM tells the electronic throttle assy how far to open or close the blade based on your inputs at the gas pedal and the load on engine as well as other sensor inputs, so it is very rare to ever get full 100% WOT at any time. Most of the time at WOT you get 90% throttle blade positions.

BD

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ford's idea of mixture control is all over the place. They are pig rich at WOT, very lean on cruise and irratic everywhere else.
The throttle blade on most cars since 2010 are electronically controlled by the PCM so there is no physical connection between your right foot and the throttle blade. The PCM tells the electronic throttle assy how far to open or close the blade based on your inputs at the gas pedal and the load on engine as well as other sensor inputs, so it is very rare to ever get full 100% WOT at any time. Most of the time at WOT you get 90% throttle blade positions.

BD
I'm assuming an aftermarket tune corrects for this and that's where the big power gains come from?
Sponsored