2020+ hpp tune question

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I'm assuming an aftermarket tune corrects for this and that's where the big power gains come from?
An aftermarket tune will still not give you 100% WOT but it does correct for overly rich fueling issues in the stock tune and add some additional boost psi throughout the rpm range holding it farther up in the higher rpms. The ford performance tune raises the boost from a max of 20 psi to 24 psi and holds it there longer in the higher revs. The FP tune keeps your 3/36 warranty intact but beware if your car is 2018+ once you flash the FP tune in your car the only way to go back to the stock tune is by having a dealer reflash the "as built" calibration back to PCM for a fee. 15-17 eco owners with FP tune can go from FP to stock on their own at will, that option was removed from the program for 18+.

An aftermarket tune such as with a Cobb accessport alters the parameters even a bit more than stock and then if you get a pro tune thru the Cobb you can work with pro tuner to get fine tune to what your goals for your car are power wise. There are limits on what a stock block eco motor can handle without severe engine damage occurring. The general consensus is max of 400 HP but that is riding the very edge of reliability, this is what you need to discuss with whomever you choose to do your pro tune.

BD
Sponsored

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
Just got a cobb,street.intercooler,airraid intake and K&n filterwaiting on Ryan's 1st.map,
22HPP N0010
She will be running like a ten in no time.
Tom

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
Hello all, I got a 22' HPP + HP not too long ago just went through this entire thread. A lot of super useful information on here. Thanks for that!

I saw that the max HP for the stock block is 400 (which I've read in a bunch of different threads). Is that 400 crank or whp?

My goal is to get 350 whp but I think that'll end up being around 405ish crank hp. Is that too much?

Last edited:

Sponsored

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
Hello all, I got a 22' HPP + HP not too long ago just went through this entire thread. A lot of super useful information on here. Thanks for that!

I saw that the max HP for the stock block is 400 (which I've read in a bunch of different threads). Is that 400 crank or whp?

My goal is to get 350 whp but I think that'll end up being around 405ish crank hp. Is that too much?
that is generally the “sweet spot” in horsepower. On a stock block it seems most tuners won’t go past 380whp which puts it in the upper limits of the “safe range”. That’s a pretty quick ecoboost.

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
that is generally the “sweet spot” in horsepower. On a stock block it seems most tuners won’t go past 380whp which puts it in the upper limits of the “safe range”. That’s a pretty quick ecoboost.
Also since you have the HPP model you have a slightly bigger turbo. So theoretically you can make those numbers with less boost pressure on the block which means less stress.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HPP. We love pics.

That is refferrencing 400 WHP but as stated above a safe tune level is generally 380 WHP to keep the block and head gasket happy. Also as stated with the HPP your turbo is a little bigger so you can make the 380 WHP easier with less boost and less stress on the motor.

350WHP is a very doable safe goal for your car.

Enjoy.

BD

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Clean up the fueling first. Also why even bother doing mods for so little? You won't notice
The fueling can be addressed in a pro tune right?

As for the power, IDK. 350 wheel seems pretty solid to me. I figure stock, I'm making around 270ish whp. An 80whp bump would definitely be noticeable for me. I also really want the throttle to be improved. Stock is dead in the regular drive mode and too jumpy on Sport+.

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Also since you have the HPP model you have a slightly bigger turbo. So theoretically you can make those numbers with less boost pressure on the block which means less stress.
I was hoping that was the case. I really just want to optimize what the car came with. I'm mostly satisfied with it.

Sponsored

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HPP. We love pics.

That is refferrencing 400 WHP but as stated above a safe tune level is generally 380 WHP to keep the block and head gasket happy. Also as stated with the HPP your turbo is a little bigger so you can make the 380 WHP easier with less boost and less stress on the motor.

350WHP is a very doable safe goal for your car.

Enjoy.

BD
Thanks for that! That's what I was hoping to hear.

I'll post pics after my next wash! I'm just waiting out the rain.

Dark Side

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP Fastback. 1967 Mustang Fastback
I also really want the throttle to be improved. Stock is dead in the regular drive mode and too jumpy on Sport+.
Have you done anything to her? Replacing the intercooler and hot/cold pipes with CVF parts really woke my 2020 HPP up.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
I was hoping that was the case. I really just want to optimize what the car came with. I'm mostly satisfied with it.
Gabrial,
Jeremy Sunkel is the sales manager for PD Tuning. Give him a call at 443-528-1520. He will answer your questions and give you direction so you can acheive your performance goals.
Tom

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

That number is with respect to whp. The real thing you need to watch is torque. Keep that below 400-425 lbft, which will limit the stress on the block and the power to about 400 with the stock rpm redline, which is all the stock turbo is good for anyway. The base turbo really can't even support over about 5.5k revs.

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Have you done anything to her? Replacing the intercooler and hot/cold pipes with CVF parts really woke my 2020 HPP up.
I haven't swapped the IC/Pipes out yet. I'm planning to in the coming months though.

How do you mean it woke it up? It smoothed the throttle out? Did you go with the race or street intercooler?
Sponsored