2020 GT500 confirmed orders

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
I go back and forth on the CFTP and painted stripes. Sure it will make the car rare and collectible but thats not my intention so i decided 28k isnt worth the bragging rights and the potential for better retained value.

To me my fully loaded base will be just as cool and be overkill for what i want.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The truth on POTS is, the vast majority of "other people" will never notice the difference. Yep, an expensive option but I wanted them to prevent deterioration of the vinyl over time and, because I'm an OCD "polisher" and detest those edges. :-)

A fully-loaded Base car will definitely be just as cool.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Surprised that a Navy Man is an OCD polisher. As a Marine I just want to get it ceramic coated and not go back to my old days of intense cleaning and leave myself more time to enjoy driving it.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
I took my dealers last allocation, which was a golden ticket but went with base regardless (30k markup for a golden ticket order).

I told them I'd be willing to get painted OTT stripes instead of vinyl if the markup didn't change. Dealer had zero interest in that but there are people out there who would prefer the look of painted stripes and would be willing to pay for it.

Heck, getting PFF/Ceramic coating redone to replace the vinyl is about half the cost of the painted stripes in the first place!

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
I know all the concerns about the edge gaps, ripples and overall quality of the vinyl stripes but are we confident that the painted stripes are going to be much better?

Or are we assuming cause they are charging 10k and outsourcing that they will look fantastic?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Surprised that a Navy Man is an OCD polisher.
Evan: What can I say and believe it or not, I was converted from a civilian to a "Navy man" by Paris Island INSTRUCTOR DI's in Pensacola way back when. :-)

I have been watching the ceramic coating offerings for quite some time but as yet, I haven't tried it. The main reason is that same OCD issue. I have this NEED to polish and you just can't do that once it's coated. I'm HOPING that Penske does a better job of painting than Ford's factory as the paint job on my 2014 had a fair amount of orange peel in it. Can't have that, right? :-)

As for your question as to whether the painted version will look better, all I have to go on are the photos I've seen.

(Edited)

Painted Example

Vinyl Example

Unfortunately, the photographers who have seen the car in person don't seem to be interested in closeups of painted stripes (and I've scoured the Web looking for some.) I can't even say for certain that the two examples above are actually POTS but I THINK they are. Reason is, you can see where they stop whereas vinyl would wrap around.

Last edited:

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
I wish you luck Kilo and i look forward to seeing that polished beauty in your driveway.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I wish you luck Kilo and i look forward to seeing that polished beauty in your driveway.
That won't be a problem, Evan, as I'm an OCD amateur photographer, too so stand by come the middle of November.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know all the concerns about the edge gaps, ripples and overall quality of the vinyl stripes but are we confident that the painted stripes are going to be much better?

Or are we assuming cause they are charging 10k and outsourcing that they will look fantastic?
If I were buying a GT500 and getting stripes my main concern would be durability. Paint will last a long time. Vinyl is very fragile and might not even last through delivery to you - if you have super high standards for appearance.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Hack: I think they will look better to discerning eyes and I agree with the fragility of vinyl. I have some nicks in the striping on my '14 at the front of the hood and these are OEM replacement stripes that were installed after putting Xpel film on the entire hood not to mention, treated with loving care. This obviously won't be an issue with POTS. Also, as Deviruchi mentioned above, if you film a vehicle with vinyl stripes, you have to remove the originals first, put the film down, then replace the stripes and that is expensive. Granted, not 10k but then, the stripes aren't under a couple coats of clear, either.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You can absolutely get a base car with painted stripes, but it requires the same "golden ticket " / allocation.

Had it been $5k, or allocation not required, i would have done painted

Shelby GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not a big fan of youtuber Speed Phenom, but his attached video does show nice examples of painted vs vinyl stripes on the GT500.

stixxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang, 2012 Mustang
Oh man, with the sad news of a probable February build week, this is outstanding! I will continue to "hope" this is the case, just so I don't break down and cry if it's not.
Base and Handling package have Pilot Sport, Track pack have Pilot Cup.

All are 305/315.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Base and Handling package have Pilot Sport, Track pack have Pilot Cup.

All are 305/315.
This is what I have discovered as well. The confusion is early information stated the base got 295/305 tires and only the track pack got 305/315.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I did watch that video but after watching it again, I have to take back what I said earlier. The stripes that have "gaps" are vinyl while the POTS go over the edges all the way.

I snagged some images from the clip and here are seven shots, three painted and four vinyl. One thing I forgot about is the texture of the vinyl which you can see in these photos. NBD, but I do prefer the smooth clear coat.

Here are the photos.
Sponsored