Sponsored

2020 GT500 - Battery Drain Concern from Ford

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Feb 4 2021 1707 - 2020 Mustang GT500 - Battery Drain Concern When Applying Electric Parking Brake After Turning Ignition Off
Some 2020 Mustang GT500 vehicles may exhibit a battery drain concern when the customer applies the electric parking brake after turning the ignition off. This may be caused by the operation of the antilock brake (ABS) module software. To correct this condition, reprogram the ABS module using the latest version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 2C219 and any applicable labor operations in Section 2 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Begs the question...is the issue mitigated if you apply the electric parking brake before turning off the ignition?
Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Feb 4 2021 1707 - 2020 Mustang GT500 - Battery Drain Concern When Applying Electric Parking Brake After Turning Ignition Off
Some 2020 Mustang GT500 vehicles may exhibit a battery drain concern when the customer applies the electric parking brake after turning the ignition off. This may be caused by the operation of the antilock brake (ABS) module software. To correct this condition, reprogram the ABS module using the latest version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 2C219 and any applicable labor operations in Section 2 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Begs the question...is the issue mitigated if you apply the electric parking brake before turning off the ignition?
I just printed this out for Spring dealership appt for them to update the software.

jpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Audi RS3
Thank you, Epiphany! I already have the brake pedal recall scheduled for this Thursday. I printed this out and will bring it with me then. Perfect timing. Thanks again.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
These cars will drain a battery without anything turned on. I continuously hear sounds coming from the car when it is parked, it is coming from the rear of the car and sounds like a compressor?
I am sure the battery would be drained at a faster rate if the car was locked up due to the alarm.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
And the OEM batteries are not anything to write home about either, Earl. I've left cars parked at airports without issue but only a 2016 or older and I'm guessing the newer they are, the more they drain. Locked up with the system on would for sure drain it more quickly. I know I've never had a vehicle that truly needed the maintainer like this one.

My car clicks her relay on her own, too.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
And the OEM batteries are not anything to write home about either, Earl. I've left cars parked at airports without issue but only a 2016 or older and I'm guessing the newer they are, the more they drain. Locked up with the system on would for sure drain it more quickly. I know I've never had a vehicle that truly needed the maintainer like this one.

My car clicks her relay on her own, too.
The noise I hear is the same one generated when I push the start button without my foot on the brake. Non start mode.

Another drain is the cars need to be able to communicate with the mothership about everything, location, tire pressure and anything else Ford thinks they can make a buck on.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Another drain is the cars need to be able to communicate with the mothership about everything, location, tire pressure and anything else Ford thinks they can make a buck on.
Yep, another reason to pull the plug.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Yep, another reason to pull the plug.
I'm pretty sure that when you opt out of FordPass, it only means that Ford will no longer share that information with you, but that doesn't mean they are not still collecting the information.

Just another reason to pull the plug.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I pretty sure that when you opt out of FordPass, it only means that Ford will no longer share that information with you, but that doesn't mean they are not still collecting the information.

Just another reason to pull the plug.
Yes, I know. The data never stops transmitting.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I get the want to unplug, really I do, but every vehicle is doing this. Doesn't matter what modern car you drive, they all do it. To me it's just not worth the bother.

I mean, you all drive around with your cell phones don't you? They are recording and selling more information than the car ever will. Especially Android devices. Resistance is futile.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
The noise I hear is the same one generated when I push the start button without my foot on the brake. Non start mode.

I have this too, and a couple days ago I went to look on my baby and the battery tender and after I unlocked the car randomly I hear all these noises without touching it, I'm thinking its either the fuel pump, or the magna ride, but yes this thing keeps activating itself randomly. Now its in deep sleep mode and i wont check on it for another week, but its crazy how often it triggers something. Feel like its christine trying to get my attention.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Love Stephen King, Mike and just finished listening to "From a Buick 8" in audiobook form for the second time. I listen to books every day and highly recommend the practice.

Unfortunately, my little town library doesn't have the best King selection.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I have this too, and a couple days ago I went to look on my baby and the battery tender and after I unlocked the car randomly I hear all these noises without touching it, I'm thinking its either the fuel pump, or the magna ride, but yes this thing keeps activating itself randomly. Now its in deep sleep mode and i wont check on it for another week, but its crazy how often it triggers something. Feel like its christine trying to get my attention.

Maybe it's the Flux Capacitor charging?