Sponsored

New 2020 GT500 Poor Quality Work From Ford

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
I think what would annoy me most would be the fact that this has been going on for so long.
Funny thing is my last 2 GT500's, both 2014's, were excellent in fit and finish. You would think as technology progresses and prices increase, so would quality. Seems the exact opposite.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Funny thing is my last 2 GT500's, both 2014's, were excellent in fit and finish. You would think as technology progresses and prices increase, so would quality. Seems the exact opposite.
One would think. Both of my S197s were excellent....my S550, not so much.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
The real culprit is the union employee, in my opinion. If the union is experiencing anything like the fire service, you just can't get good help anymore, and the "old timers" are overworked and checked out. Generational breakdown, fading work ethic, so on and so on.

But hey, everybody gets a trophy now....

Let me grab my ankles while I wait for the boomer comments :sunglasses:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Really hate this thread and having to overlook when mine shows up

Muntingia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
The fact that some guys say "It's a Mustang, what do you expect?" absolutely floors me. My 21 has so many poor quality control defects it doesn't make any bit of sense!
Would you build a house and be happy with your sheet rock being mudded all messed up and having the walls look horrible? No, you would have the contractor fix his shit job!
No excuses and Ford has done downhill! This is my 13th Mustang and by far the worst fit/finish ever!
The attitude and audacity of a company or anybody allowing or believing sending shit to a hard working paying customer is total BS!
It's because Mustang has a devoted fan base. Much like Tesla, though with those cars, it's more like a cult. People are still lining up to buy Tesla vehicles with horrible QC and even worse customer service. Another reason is there's lack of competition. More is coming real soon for Tesla. As for the Mustang, it's been outselling the Camaro (seen as its main competitor) for years, so Ford is not worried.

Last edited:

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The real culprit is the union employee, in my opinion. If the union is experiencing anything like the fire service, you just can't get good help anymore, and the "old timers" are overworked and checked out. Generational breakdown, fading work ethic, so on and so on.

But hey, everybody gets a trophy now....

Let me grab my ankles while I wait for the boomer comments :sunglasses:
When I
It's because Mustang has a devoted fan base. Much like Tesla, though with those cars, it's more like a cult. People are still lining up to buy Tesla vehicles with horrible QC and even worse customer service. Another reason is there's lack of competition. More is coming real soon for Tesla. As for the Mustang, it's been outselling the Camaro (seen as it's main competitor) for years, so Ford is not worried.
Complacency by us auto manufacturers is one of the major initial reasons import cars became as popular as they are today.
I have to say, it’s better than it was.

Last edited:

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback
Just picked up a 2020 GT500 last night. Traded in my 2019 GT350. My 350 build quality was very good. All the body panels were very good. The GT500's body panels are awful to say the least. My car has the vinyl strip option too. The stripes are terrible. They laid the stripes over dirt and hair. There are spots all over the stripes. The car was built in December of 2020 and per the dealer it was in their showroom the entire time they had the car. My mistake was buying the car via pictures rather than in person. I bought the car for MSRP but it was 500 miles away. Local dealers want $10K to $20K over sticker. Someone at the dealership walked off with the owners supplement box and the upper struts mounts from the handling package which was not mentioned to me until after the car shipped.

Below are a few pics of the quality work from Ford. My question is has anyone been successful getting the body panels fixed by Ford? The panel issue is on both sides of the car and both door handles are crooked. I do not care about the stripes on the car and they can be pulled off but it cost $1,000 for junk.

IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg
We're you able to get any of the alignments and such, resolved, or?

WEST TX GHOST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
Just picked up a 2020 GT500 last night. Traded in my 2019 GT350. My 350 build quality was very good. All the body panels were very good. The GT500's body panels are awful to say the least. My car has the vinyl strip option too. The stripes are terrible. They laid the stripes over dirt and hair. There are spots all over the stripes. The car was built in December of 2020 and per the dealer it was in their showroom the entire time they had the car. My mistake was buying the car via pictures rather than in person. I bought the car for MSRP but it was 500 miles away. Local dealers want $10K to $20K over sticker. Someone at the dealership walked off with the owners supplement box and the upper struts mounts from the handling package which was not mentioned to me until after the car shipped.

Below are a few pics of the quality work from Ford. My question is has anyone been successful getting the body panels fixed by Ford? The panel issue is on both sides of the car and both door handles are crooked. I do not care about the stripes on the car and they can be pulled off but it cost $1,000 for junk.

IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg
If you ask me, it looks like someone at that dealer went for a joy ride and ended up wrecking it without a GOOD repair

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
I may not have a GT500, sorry for still giving my 2cents here.
Quality Control seems to be a "slight" Issue, although i see myself lucky for not having any major Issues. (some small paint-intrusions) But the most obvious one would be...
They mounted the wrong door sill plate in my car. (One side said Bullitt, the passenger "Mustang")
But hey, at least the wrong panel was plugged in and illuminated. :D
Seats.jpg

Has been resolved over warranty without Issue. I guess QC was on a break.

Sponsored

Vics Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500 2020 Ford Fusion 2011 Ford Focus
My Shelby has a misaligned right front fender hood gap but other than that the car is really good and has not given me any problems! I dont try and get this fixed because the stripes would be off then and its not that bad but it should have been fixed at the plant.

Vics Shelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500 2020 Ford Fusion 2011 Ford Focus
Ford had conflicting info regarding the adjustable camber plates for the handling package cars. In the end, the plates were NOT included for the 2020 HP cars. This has been corrected for 2021 and the plates are now included. The owner’s kit will arrive at your residence 1-2 months after buying the car.

As for the quality control... work through this issues under warranty or chose to live with them. Sometimes taking it to the dealer to solve a “minor” issue creates more problems.

Congrats on the car.
That is exactly why im just going to let it go because it would probably be worse if I tried to grt it fixed!
Sponsored