Sponsored

2020 GT500 PCM and TCM Updated Calibrations from Ford?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Preliminary. Haven't verified it yet. Let's dig in and see.

A few months ago it was reported that Ford had supplied the Ford Performance Racing School with an updated TCM calibration file that supposedly mitigated the delay at launch - and it may have done other things to the strategy as well but I'm not certain.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/launch-control.142819/#post-2925747

Ford Performance, if you called them, had no clue. Dealers were in the dark as well. I verified that the cars were updated with the school, specifically those that handled the update. They couldn't share much else.

Well, word round the campfire is that an updated TCM calibration is now available from the dealer (for those "early cars" anyway, whatever early encompasses). There also appears to be an updated PCM calibration file as well. I don't now if the two became available at the same time or if they are typically installed together.

Here is a screenshot floating around that was pointed out to me from yesterday. It depicts what a dealer would see in IDS if plugged into the diagnostic port of your GT500 and was connected to Ford's network.

GT500 latest calibration file numbers.jpg

Note the change in the suffix for each number moved up a letter, the TCM from BF to BG and the PCM from LL to LM. These are updated calibration files that are shown that may offer an improvement in vehicle "performance."

So I dug up a screenshot I took the last time I was in FORScan of my own car to compare those two calibration numbers from my own car.

GT500 latest calibration data from my own car highlighted.jpg

If you break down the numbers, my strategies begin the same with an LR3A, but the middle portion differs from the first screenshot I posted. This is something I'd like to verify with you guys and see if your calibrations are similar to mine or to that of the first screenshot. Either way, the suffixes in mine correlate to that of the alleged calibration update. My TCM strategy ends in BF (meaning a BG may be available) and my PCM ends in LL (meaning a LM may be available). If you guys know how to look at your own in FORScan this would certainly help. There could be differences depending on whether the car is a Base or CFTP, as well as differences due to more recent calibration changes. Let's see what you got!

Another route you can take if you don't have FORScan is to use Ford's ETIS site. Once you register for it you can access a plethora of data for your vehicle as well as someone elses (if you have the VIN). Ford is changing ETIS very soon as I understand so you may want to take a snapshot while you can.

I highlighted in red the TCM and PCM data with the calibrations falling under the "Software Part No." heading. They are an exact match for what I found by plugging my car into FORScan. Nice thing about ETIS is that you don't have to even make a physical connection to the car. Once you enter in your VIN (under the Vehicle Lookup tab), click on the Vehicle Software tab, followed by the Summary tab. Look closely at the following screenshot and you'll see the tabs I'm talking about.

Ford ETIS Late Aug 2020 highlighted.jpg

Also of importance, and related to some current threads, note what I highlighted in yellow. I am not participating in Ford's PASS program and yet my vehicle is forwarding data to Ford. The 8/3/20 date keeps changing and is staying fairly current with respect to usage. You may want to look closely at yours as well. I may pull the related fuse which should put the kaibosh on that. It could possibly just burn up on its own as sometimes fuses get overloaded.

I spoke to Jaime about some of this earlier today and I believe he is scheduled to visit his dealer tomorrow who may or may not update the respective control modules. Looking forward to hearing from him on this one.
Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Interesting info.

Since you are already registered on ETIS, I would be willing to send you my VIN to compare data points if that's helpful?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
As Tob mentioned, I made an appointment for tomorrow, to see if I can get them to update my PCM & TCM. They typically will not just update calibrations because there is one, there needs to be a warranty related reason to do so. I will be sure to update here with what I find out tomorrow.

Here is my ETIS information before I go to the dealership tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 2.48.30 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jaime. So you're TCU is forwarding driving data to Ford and you look to have the early TCM and PCM calibrations.

I had a member forward me his VIN on a recent GT500 build. A CFTP car, built at the end of June. I blocked the last four numbers of his VIN from the screenshot but suffice to say it was in the mid-2300 range. Look at the last two letters of his TCM and PCM calibrations...

1FA6P8SJ9L5502321HIGHLIGHTED.jpg

His LM and BG would seem to indicate he has the latest calibrations, and may have the delay programmed out of his TCM. Interesting that his TCU module has yet to update.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I for one am impressed with you experts and have already emailed my ASM with Tob's screen shot. I will be very curious to hear what they say, Jaime, not that I plan on doing burnouts and launches anytime soon. :-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KB, shoot me your VIN if you can and I'll look at it. My guess is you have the early calibration...

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tim U's CFTP car that was produced on 7/10/20. Again, looks like it has the latest calibrations, LM and BG.

FA6P8SJ1L5502605 Tim U car.JPG

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Tob, thanks for the data feedback.

A couple more changes I noticed. The DSP and BCM have different software part numbers (highlighted and underlined in blue). Interesting to note that the SODL and SODR reference is absent on my report.

upload_2020-8-27_18-36-59.png

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
This is from my 2020 GT500 Build date 02/28/2020

TCM - Transmission Control Module
Part number: KR3A-12B565-DA
Strategy : LR3A-14C337-BG

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: LR3A-12A650-KA
Strategy : LR3A-14C204-LM
Hardware type: KR3A-12B684-AA
VIN: 1FA6P8SJ2L550

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't expect that but the build date shows the change may have been made earlier than I originally thought.

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
VERY interesting, Earl. What was the day of the Job 1-2 switch if you have it handy..was it like 01DEC19 or something?
I think change from Job 1 to Job 2 was in Jan 2020. If the car has a shark fin antenna, it's a Job 2.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I didn't expect that but the build date shows the change may have been made earlier than I originally thought.
Is it possible that the dealer dealer did an update during PDI? Mar 17 2020

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Earl so it could have beeny earlier than your build date. Roger on the fin, I was just trying to determine if the software change coincided with the switch mainly to have info to give to the service folks. I hope they'll just do it as a service call but we'll see.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible that the dealer dealer did an update during PDI? Mar 17 2020
No Earl, it was delivered the first week of Feb.
Sponsored