2018 No Drill Front Plate Options

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
The 2018's have been out for some time, I'm struggling to find a front plate option that doesn't require drilling. Keep in mind I'm driving a PP2 so some options that work on 2018's, may not work on the PP2, I kept the temporary tags on for the first 2 months until expired, and now rolling the dice on not getting caught (200 dollar fine here in Texas). Some options I've come across:

- Sto N Sho - No PP2 option yet, been emailing Mike at Big Mike's to get a prototype built and tested so we have this option, gave some measurements weeks back, just not happening fast enough but may be where I want to end up eventually.....

- Craigs No Drill - No 2018 option, but has anyone tried to put a 2017 version on the 2018? Emailed them about 2018 options, didn't seem like they were in any hurry to make one, but would eventually

- iJDMTOY No Drill option - found this on amazon, bought one, looks like it probably works on most 2018 models, but doesn't align with any screws on bottom of my PP2 splitter, so I'm returning. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G75PT5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Any other options? In the meantime, riding dirty in Texas........
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Let me ask this, what exactly does the written TX State Law say about front plates?

Because here in NJ, the written Statute says that a front plate:
39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment 39:3-33.

The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that the rear identification mark may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying inflammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles which are used to collect, transport and dispose of garbage, solid wastes and refuse.
Note that our written law does not say WHERE on the front, as long as the plate is visible on the front and within the height guidelines as noted. So folks in NJ who don’t want front plates usually lay them on top of the dash propped in the corner of the windshield - and it’s legal because it meets the criteria of the law. Sure it may be ugly to some, but it beats 1) drilling bumper cover and 2) getting fined in certain Twps that rely on moving violation citation monies to prop their coffers.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I'd rather not have a license plate turn into a projectile in a collision. Mine's staying outside.

I haven't decided what I want to do with my front plate when they eventually arrive. I've only gotten pulled over once in many years of running without one. & it used to be a fixit ticket I think.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Well this isn't very helpful.

Texas Constitution said:
Sec. 504.010. ISSUANCE AND PLACEMENT OF LICENSE PLATE. (a) On payment of the prescribed fee, an applicant for motor vehicle registration shall be issued a license plate or set of plates.

(b) Subject to Section 504.901, the department shall issue only one license plate or set of plates for a vehicle during the registration period set by rule.

(c) The board may adopt rules regarding the placement of license plates for a motor vehicle, road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 175, eff. January 1, 2012.
I have yet to find where those placement rules are.

Ahhh, that's because there are none: TXDPS FAQs

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've not run a front plate on any car I've had in Texas - and I grew up here and live here now. I keep it inside of the passenger compartment so I can throw it on the dash if needed. I've been pulled over for other things and the plate has never once been mentioned.

My wife and my mother both don't run one on there RC's either, and have had no issues.

My son was pulled over twice on his Focus ST, but he had a job taking pictures of home for insurance/banks, so it was an excuse to pull him over. He never got a ticket, and they didn't really seem to care.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I've never had a plate on any Mustang I've owned in Illinois in 35 years, knock on wood. My wife gets pulled over the first week when we bought her one and didn't put the plate on, go figure.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I am running frameless. I have a "special" very strong velcro between plate and bumper. It is that strong that you rather break the license plate than get it off the car.

IMAG2058_small.jpg

Looks very nice and clean ;-)

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Front plate is required in Texas and you can be ticketed if you don't have one displayed. Like others have said and according to the TXDPS site, where on the front is not defined.

It makes for easy PC in Texas to conduct a traffic stop if you don't have one displayed.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm

From the site above:
"How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined."

To answer the Ops question, maybe suction cups on the front windshield?

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
I live in Colorado and we have the same front plate law. I keep my front plate in the seat back pocket and my excuse if pulled over will be that I ripped my front mount out the day prior on a concrete parking divider and I'm waiting for a new one to be shipped to me. :)

Also helps to have the broken one sitting in the back seat as well. :)

Sponsored

65 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 X5M
Do the new mustangs come with a bracket?

In the past I have told my salesperson to put the bracket in their desk so it doses not get installed during delivery cleanup.

I had a 93 LX that the dealer out 2 big holes in the front bumper for an advertising plate.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
2 zip ties, and I trimmed the plate.
29060908_1655816361179989_8856851577507190341_o.jpg

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
2 zip ties, and I trimmed the plate.
29060908_1655816361179989_8856851577507190341_o.jpg
That looks clean but a trimmed plate is a pet peeve for the Troopers in TX. Ask me how I know? Altering the plate is the charge. Apparently they take license plates seriously here.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a license plate that:
(1) is issued for a different motor vehicle;

(2) is issued for the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;

(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;

(4) is fictitious;

(5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time;

(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered;  or

(7) has a coating, covering, protective substance, or other material that:
(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability;

(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered;  or

(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.

OP
OP

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
The Texas Administrative Code (Title 43, Rule 217.22) states that the front license plate must be securely fastened at the exterior front. Courts have typically interpreted this location as the front bumper.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
The best by far. I've had it on my 2017 PP GT for 15 months and no issues whatsoever.

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/
I despise front plates and drove without one for 11 stop free months. Figured my luck was due to dry up, the car is already a cop magnet without giving them avoidable cause. I picked up a Craig's bracket, too. It's design is so simple I felt a bit stupid after seeing what it consists of. But there is no denying it does the job well, I'm satisfied with it.
Sponsored