N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I purposely parked nose to nose with a cop with enough distance to make sure he seen my front plate. Passed the sniff test lol
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Question for TX:

Did TX change the laws regarding the necessity for front plates? I could have sworn that back in the 90’s, a front plate was not a requirement? And I also thought the statute varied based on ‘county’?

Am I wrong? I have family out there and when visiting, I used to help move cars for a since closed GM Dealership many years ago and front plates were usually not present on most vehicles seen around the Lake Medina/Medina/Kerrville areas.

——

So if your law does not state an exact location on the front of the car, other than it must be visible, then you could mount it inside of the vehicle facing out the front windshield - many ways of doing it so it’s not hideous or a flying object.

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Unfortunately it looks like NY law states the front plate has to be "securely attached" to the front of the car. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to avoid it in NY :(

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Question for TX:

Did TX change the laws regarding the necessity for front plates? I could have sworn that back in the 90’s, a front plate was not a requirement? And I also thought the statute varied based on ‘county’?

Am I wrong? I have family out there and when visiting, I used to help move cars for a since closed GM Dealership many years ago and front plates were usually not present on most vehicles seen around the Lake Medina/Medina/Kerrville areas.

——

So if your law does not state an exact location on the front of the car, other than it must be visible, then you could mount it inside of the vehicle facing out the front windshield - many ways of doing it so it’s not hideous or a flying object.
Texas has always required a front plate as far as I know, even in the 90s. It does not vary by location.

Either way, the front windshield is the best place if you're worried about it. Like I said, I just keep mine within reach to throw in the front window if necessary.

Sponsored

Ash1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Shelby GT350 Race Red
I’ve been pulled over 4 times for no front license plate in Texas and have been given 4 warnings in 4 different Mustangs. In fact, I was pulled over Easter Sunday. I normally have the plate in the back seat and just pull it out real quick and throw it on the dash. My new Roush has a removal plate but I don’t put in on. Each time I was pulled over was by the highway patrol, local cops don’t mess with it. I would just pay the ticket before I put it on my bumper.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Paper or drive out tags do not require a front plate in TX. A regular hard plate does require both.

A few years ago (3-4) they tweaked the law and forgot to add a penalty. So it was a violation, but no monetary fine could be charged. Next legislative session that was corrected.

molodus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6
The best by far. I've had it on my 2017 PP GT for 15 months and no issues whatsoever.

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/
This is a cool idea and I'm looking for something just like it for my 2018 GT. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2015-2017 part will fit. I had a quick look at my bumper cover vs pics/installs on 2015-2017's and that all but confirms my thoughts.

I went ahead and sent a message to Craig asking him to confirm and, if nothing existing works, would he be producing brackets for the 2018's. Will update if/when I hear back.

-Wes

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I wish I could have gone with a no-drill option. As it is my bumper now has FOUR freaking holes in it, two for the bracket and the other two because the dealer used screws about 457 feet long to install the plate onto the bracket.

OP
OP

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
This is a cool idea and I'm looking for something just like it for my 2018 GT. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2015-2017 part will fit. I had a quick look at my bumper cover vs pics/installs on 2015-2017's and that all but confirms my thoughts.

I went ahead and sent a message to Craig asking him to confirm and, if nothing existing works, would he be producing brackets for the 2018's. Will update if/when I hear back.

-Wes
Let me know if you hear back, I did the same in January and the response was no immediate plans but will get to it eventually. I emailed again about a week ago, no response. No Drill Options are limited for 18's and basically non-existent at this moment for PP2. I'm over here waving my money waiting for one of these no-drill manufacturers to take it, I'm betting nearly every PP2 buyer on here that has front plate requirements would buy too.

Unfortunately the 2018 doesn't have as much lip underneath the main section of the bumper to use the 2017 Craigs no drill option from what I can tell. I tossed my plate up front in the car this morning to throw on the dash if needed, but looks like latest texas code mentions "outside" the vehicle and I read somewhere some language about the front most part of the vehicle which will be interpreted as bumper, but it's all about how much stink the local law enforcement wants to make about it, some will give warning and some will write tickets.

Sponsored

emcee1011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Looks like CJponyparts lists STO N SHO brackets for both PP and non-PP 2018 GT's. I could've sworn someone posted that here but I can't find it.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like at least 25% of the cars I see in DFW don't have front plates and I haven't heard of anyone being pulled over for it in a long time. Mine is mounted using thumb tacks on my garage wall :thumbsup:

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I love that Tennessee requires no front plate.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I see a lot of people in the state of WA (that does have a front plate law, but only by exception can you avoid it and these cars do NOT get one) throwing their plate on the front dash. I specifically see a lot of challengers do this.

I hated the idea of putting holes in my bumper and I managed to stop the dealership from doing it. I ordered this:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LPB39

And it looks like the attached image.

There's a spring loaded release on one side that allows you to pull that and slide the plate out in your hands. The plate is mounted on an aluminum bracket with the two studs welded to a base and one of those has a detent for the spring loaded lock to fit into.

I had to add a bit of grease to the studs to make them slide better, but overall I think it's ok. You have to pull from the bottom otherwise you take the risk of weakening the join at the base over time, but I've only pulled it off a couple of times so far.
image2_plate.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
I see a lot of people in the state of WA (that does have a front plate law, but only by exception can you avoid it and these cars do NOT get one) throwing their plate on the front dash. I specifically see a lot of challengers do this.

I hated the idea of putting holes in my bumper and I managed to stop the dealership from doing it. I ordered this:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LPB39

And it looks like the attached image.

There's a spring loaded release on one side that allows you to pull that and slide the plate out in your hands. The plate is mounted on an aluminum bracket with the two studs welded to a base and one of those has a detent for the spring loaded lock to fit into.

I had to add a bit of grease to the studs to make them slide better, but overall I think it's ok. You have to pull from the bottom otherwise you take the risk of weakening the join at the base over time, but I've only pulled it off a couple of times so far.
Link didn't work. I'm assuming this is a Sto N Sho, which they don't have a version that will work on the PP2 yet because the attachment point is different with the added splitter. I've been talking with Mike at BigMike's that makes these and gave him all the measurements and dimensions, he's working on it, but trying to find something in the meantime. At least they make 2018 no drill options for the rest of the 2018 line-up, Craig's is falling behind....
Sponsored