2018 mustang gt engine tick

DeesNewtons

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
To start I know these 5.0s make noises and what not but I am absolutely in love with the 2018 gt I just purchased unfortunately I do not have a warranty on it and it did make a ticking noise after I drove it home and already signed the papers. With that being said I still love the car and I just wanted to know if it’s anything detrimental to the engine at all. Everyone on YouTube gives different answers and have said it’s not really known what it is or whatever. I just don’t wanna have to stress so if there’s anything that could help put my mind at ease that would be awesome
Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I’d try a heavier weight oil first. See if that works and add a bottle of Ceratec also.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I was gonna try to use 5w-50 what would you recommend
I went with a 5/40 and it’s a lot less noticiable. Didn’t use ceratec on this one. Wanted to see if just oil weight would help and it did.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Youtubers made a HUGE deal about the tick. More than likely just for views... Caused a lot of unnecessary worry for the rest of us. I notice mine after an oil change and every once in awhile after that. Just know you're not the only one! lol. I've put 68k on my '18, zero issues with the motor. I'd say you'll be fine. Also I've used 5w-20 for most of those miles. The last 2 oil changes i switched to 5w-30. It may be a little quieter but I probably tune it out of my head.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That tick is your injection pump, I believe the direct injection pump? (I may be wrong). The pump just operates loudly. I hate my tick to, but I can’t hear it over the loud exhaust 👍🏼

Last edited:

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
I'm biased but adding a bottle of Ceratec has consistently gotten rid of the "BBQ tick" it sounds like you're hearing. I was hesitant to use different oil weights and have heard some have success and some do not. Up to you, I'd do a small bump up to 5w30 and see if theres an impact, or add a bottle of ceratec and keep the same weight. Theres a massive thread on this issue and it comes down to these 2 remedies. No known negative impat on engine performance or reliability

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Op the coyote is a stout motor but yes it makes all kinds of noises. If you worry about them it will drive you crazy. Ignore and enjoy. I've only been able to hear the bbq tick about 5 times in my gt over 4 1/2 years of ownership so I'm lucky in that regard. I do hear the 2k rattle every day and I have gear rollover from my clutch. Constant ticking from my di pump and vct. Dash rattles and probably many more I choose to ignore. The more you mod, the more you'll hear things. I do pay attention though and every once in a while I will hear a new noise. If the car is running fine, which it always is, I just beat on it harder and drive the piss out of it. "New noises" seem to disappear after this and I'm back to hearing just the good ole normal noises lol. This may not be conventional reasoning but I'm at 82k miles on a boosted stock engine and trans and the car runs perfect. I guess the Italian tune up really does work! 🤣
Sponsored