2018 GT BBQ Tick question---again...with poss scoring

WOT88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know this is likely getting redundant for some of you- but I didnt want to ressurect any old threads since I've seen posters flamed for doing so on other forums.

I have a 2018 GT with 22k miles, primarily driven previously by my wife. So no tracking, beating ect (yet) The car has ticked since the first oil change. Frankly I wasnt all that suprised or worried intially since my 2017 6.7L F250 ticks like hell after an oil change, but it then subsides after a few hundred miles. But with this car, it has never really gone away and seems to have been getting worse and ticks louder (to me) from what I have watched on the tube.

My wife tired of lugging kids around in the mustang so we picked up an SUV and I opted to keep the car. I've ordered a stage II procharger kit for it that literally arrived yesterday , but I am hesitant to install it becasue the more I'm around with this car daily, the more it concerns me.

I picked up some decent audio of the tick, and also of it clacking up to 2000-2200 RPM. Sounds like much more than a ''normal'' tick to me. Listen to all the revs, it gets really bad toward the end. I can still pick up the sound when fully warmed, although less apparent. I also scoped the cylinders and noted some very light scoring, but it could be carbon smearing as well. It is difficult to tell really.

I have an appointment with Ford tommorow but I wanted to get some feedback. I dont want to mod the car if there is a problem that would be covered under warranty. They may tell me thats it's ''normal'' under the TSB but I have to try atleast for some peace of mind.

The pictures are not the greatest, crappy light and an older borescope. Listen to the full video and let me know your opinion and any tips on how to handle Ford.

Mustang Scope 1.jpg

Mustang Scope 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
95% chance...Ford is going to tell you it is normal.

My '19 ticks like a mad man and Ford says it is normal. They actually asked what kind of gas I used. I told them only Shell 93+Nitro since new, so try again.

Until you have a failure of some sort, they are going to tell you it is characteristic of the car. I hate it, most who have it hate it, but there's nothing you can do.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Dat's a Coyote for sure. The gen1 5.0 in my F150 has 193,000 miles on it, but my under hood gnome has a noisy typewriter on cold start.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I'd be worried to hell if I were you, and I'll be glad to take that supercharger off your hands for a good price to fit on my 2018 5.0.

OP
OP
WOT88

WOT88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd be worried to hell if I were you, and I'll be glad to take that supercharger off your hands for a good price to fit on my 2018 5.0.
I see what you did there. Bottom line though, something is getting boosted. Lawnmower, whatever....:crackup:

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
My 2018 GT does not sound like that at idle. The injectors tick a bit at around 2000 rpm, but nothing like that at idle.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My car sounded very similar without the ceratec. I took mine to the dealer and they told me it was fine. That is just embarrassing to me, which is why I use the ceratec.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have all different kind of sounds but nothing like this.
2K sound all 18+ seem to have, typewriter tick seems to be very common(I have it as well). However the typwriter tick is under idle only as per Fords TSB.
The sound you had in your vid is changing when revving and also has a different characteristic during idle than the typewriter tick which is a random sound yours seems to be constant until you rev and the frequency increases....

OP
OP
WOT88

WOT88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well I am fairly confident that I know the outcome already. I dropped the car off this morning and explained the whole matter. I showed the service writer the photos and the video. He seemed to have a very dismissive demeanor like he already knew the outcome. I guess we'll see.

Sponsored

Tenbrooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Super Duty F-350 Dually
I know Ford uses Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 from the factory in the 5.0L engines. Ford dealerships will normally use this same oil when doing an oil change unless the owner specifies otherwise.

Which brand of oil and weight did you go with at the first oil change? Did you use any additive at the first and subsequent oil changes, i.e., Ceratec, BG, other?

If that Mustang were mine, I'd be at the Ford dealership also and record everything you've discussed and the dealership's response. Keep good records and date them.

OP
OP
WOT88

WOT88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know Ford uses Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 from the factory in the 5.0L engines. Ford dealerships will normally use this same oil when doing an oil change unless the owner specifies otherwise.

Which brand of oil and weight did you go with at the first oil change? Did you use any additive at the first and subsequent oil changes, i.e., Ceratec, BG, other?

If that Mustang were mine, I'd be at the Ford dealership also and record everything you've discussed and the dealership's response. Keep good records and date them.
I've religiously used Motorcraft 5W-20 and motorcraft filters. I absoluley agree with you. I called and got the service writer and managers emails. I sent them the video, the photos, and a full written description of the issue. To date, no additives. I did buy some certatech to try if Ford tells me to pound salt.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
On mine car I used 5qts 5w 20 & 5quts of 5w30 only because they out of 5w20 on the 1st oil change so far on tick & I have 9543 miles so far

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
At the end of the day whether it is a actual mechanical issue or not. FORD seems to think it is not and many many many people have the tick and 100k miles with no issues. For 40 to 50 K spent on these cars new I would expect there to be no annoying noises. Some days it is hard to enjoy the car with the windows down cause everything you pass bounces the tick tick tick back at you or any one of the other 7 funky noises it makes normal or not. I swear I could have a chance to marry the finest woman on the planet but if she constantly burped and farted I just couldn't stand it. Some thing you simply expect to sound like they look. Hell cheap 9k used cars dont make some of the noises these mustangs do.
Sponsored