Sponsored

2018 GT BBQ Tick question---again...with poss scoring

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The typewriter tick IS NOT piston slap.

It's most likely Lash Adjusters not being fully inflated when oil pressure is below 30psi at low RPM. Temperature really doesn't have much to do with it. When you start it up cold, it won't tick much, because the cold oil is at almost 40psi during warmup, so the HLA's are fully inflated. Once oil warms up, and rpm comes down to idle, oil pressure drops below 30psi and the ticking starts.

Do you have oil pressure gauges on your car? Do a cold start and watch the oil pressure gauge and also the digital temp gauge and notice when it starts ticking,.
Mine will tick when it is cold. It will tick some when cold and it is rev up to about 1500-1800 rpm and let off. I did it tonight and the oil pressure is high since the engine is cold (even when letting off the gas).
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If its oil pressure sensitive...which I also believe too. Isn't this a case to support oil cavitation? If its the Lash Adjusters as you state...would this be metal on metal contact? If so, many people who have the tick have shown no metal in the oil.
No, not necessarily metal in the oil if it is very slight. The top of the lash adjuster touches the bottom of the rocker arm. It's not a very surface abrasive type of contact, like a bearing surface scraping over another surface. It's more like a mini hammer tapping a nail head. And, it is lubricated, so most of that contact is cushioned by oil . I think two things happen when you add Ceratec. It is so much more slippery, it allows the HLA in that tight hole to inflate more easily. Plus, the Ceratec being a nano-solid lubricant may help cushion that contact surface. he same kind of affect may also be seen by those with a quieter tick as the old ages with carbon build up.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
My 13 ticked after an oil change but then would go away after a couple hundred miles.

I beat on that car and sold it at 107k miles with no issues other than the MT82.

My 18 ticks a little louder and more consistent.

What I did was switched from 5w-20 to 5w-30 and put one bottle of ceratec. Immediately she was quiet, I put maybe two thousand miles on this oil change with two trips to the drag strip and shes still quiet!!

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I'm curious how many cars developed this tick/rattling after an oil change and the oil filter was not primed.

I got my 18 used (built December 17, sold January 18,bought by me Oct 18) and it had 4500ish miles and still on factory fill. I changed the oil, primed the filter and no issues. I am running Sig series amsoil 5-30. I'm on my second oil change now, lots of racing for the last 3500 miles and still no issues. These oil filters damn near hold a half qt themselves.

I do occasionally hear the 2kish flutter but it sounds more like the IMRC which can be attributed to the vacuum changes

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
Remove your AC belt and run the car with just the regular belt on and see if the noise goes away. Mine did a similar noise and I installed this after I confirmed the noise went away. Plus now it’s way easier to uninstall and install the AC belt. Don’t worry about it saying 11-14. My car is a 2019 and it fits fine.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8620DK/for...bojQ1zX0vrdxsWujWLbIQmCd18_HUU5hoCM4oQAvD_BwE
1CABBF88-0E9C-412C-9AC7-C61C4918C89D.jpeg

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Remove your AC belt and run the car with just the regular belt on and see if the noise goes away. Mine did a similar noise and I installed this after I confirmed the noise went away. Plus now it’s way easier to uninstall and install the AC belt. Don’t worry about it saying 11-14. My car is a 2019 and it fits fine.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8620DK/for...bojQ1zX0vrdxsWujWLbIQmCd18_HUU5hoCM4oQAvD_BwE
1CABBF88-0E9C-412C-9AC7-C61C4918C89D.jpeg
I did the same thing in hopes it would stop my 2018 from making a noise.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I installed a tensioner, and it did seem to help, but the tick is still there. In fact, it got louder after switching to 5w30.
Sponsored