Sponsored

Engine tick/knock

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Hey guys so took my 17 for an oil change and now I have a loud knock at idle. After the oil change previous to this one it developed a ticking sound but only at around 1500 rpm. After the most recent one it now has both ticks and the one at idle almost sounds like a crackle as if it could be exhaust expanding or something. They both only seem to happen after the car has warmed up never cold.

Obviously seems like a problem for the dealer but before I go in has anyone had any experience with these noises? Could it potentially be something being left loose underneath when they do the oil change.
Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: seems that when the car is in drive it doesn’t do it. In park and neutral it’s loud and very repeated while in drive I could only get it to tick if I shifted into neutral/park and let it tick for a bit then shifted into drive.

The sound definetly comes from the engine bay so I’m a little lost on what could be going on.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@17Magnetic5.0

Test your oil like I did I used blackstone labs they will tell you if anything's wrong inside ie increased metal shaving in oil. Then add pour some ceratec liqui moly into the oil and be done with it. Engines tick and coyotes are loud, do what I said above for piece of mind and to quite the engine "tick" down and you'll be fine. Dont fall into the whole engine tick freakout. You'll have better chances at the Powerball than a tick being anything actually wrong.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG...

If you post 10x more tick threads before actually searching the forum you are my hero...

Aww really thanks. Like I haven’t been a member of forums and haven’t heard of the tick. I posted mine because everyone else is getting it when their car is cold. Mine only does it at idle, and aside from that I’ve had the tick for a while it’s the new knock that’s different.

Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@17Magnetic5.0

Test your oil like I did I used blackstone labs they will tell you if anything's wrong inside ie increased metal shaving in oil. Then add pour some ceratec liqui moly into the oil and be done with it. Engines tick and coyotes are loud, do what I said above for piece of mind and to quite the engine "tick" down and you'll be fine. Dont fall into the whole engine tick freakout. You'll have better chances at the Powerball than a tick being anything actually wrong.

I’ll more than likely end up taking it to the dealer. I’m not concerned with it since I have extended warranties to be sure.

Soton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I’ll more than likely end up taking it to the dealer.
Did you ever take this to the dealer? I just got my oil changed and I'm hearing the knock now. I can feel it in my shifter but only at idle. I don't notice any of the other ticks people usually complain about.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope just living with it. Being stock and having the extended warranty I’m ok with it. It’s annoying when driving through a parking garage but oh well. So far it runs as it should and is still really strong so I’m gonna drive it till it blows up or it’s time for a new car.

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s weird is most people get it after an oil change.

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change that is, that’s when I first heard my typewriter tick. Maybe Ford had added friction modifier in the original oil?

Anyways my tick went away after adding a can of Ceratec Liqui Moly every oil change.
Sponsored