Sponsored

2018 front bumper corner Honeycombs removal?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The factory vents which are open for airflow from the front bumper cover to the wheel well isn’t directing air to the tire tread. Although it appears that way, the airflow at speed is being directed over the front of the wheel, pushing air over the brake rotors.

I’m really surprised some of you 2018 PP1 owners have blocked off vents, they should definitely be open. My prior 2016 EB w/PP and my current 2018 EB w/PP both have the correct open vents in the front bumper cover - that’s part of the PP package.

So for the PP1 owners who had responded, if your vents are blocked, are you also missing the opening and associated tract from the vent in the front wheel well liner?
Do you have the safe and smart package with active cruise control. Because I’m thinking that’s where the difference is. People who have it I assume would have it blocked. That package doesn’t work with most of the after market lower grilles.
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’ve got a 2019 PP1 (built July 18 if it matters) and my vents are blocked off too. I was thinking about changing them out to open ones.

I’ll prob do that when I replace the honeycomb grill.

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the safe and smart package with active cruise control. Because I’m thinking that’s where the difference is. People who have it I assume would have it blocked. That package doesn’t work with most of the after market lower grilles.
I have a 2019 GT with PP1 and Safe and Smart with ACC and I have closed vents and no hole in the wheel liner.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2019 GT with PP1 and Safe and Smart with ACC and I have closed vents and no hole in the wheel liner.
Which is what I assume every one with that package would have. Including myself.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
gtpp cars have closed vents for better aero. open vents create drag at high speed
Was about to say this. It's like open on non-PP cars to help with MPG on lower speeds, but higher speeds closing is probably better for aero.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nope, I don’t have S&S package.

Here is an older thread I found where a 2018 GT owner posted pics of his front bumper cover and inner wheel well liner showing the ported corner bumper vents and how the air tract comes through the wheel well liner (post # 6):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-fake-air-intakes.97704/

I’m now curious myself as to why some have the correct parts and others don’t?

I have been looking through online Ford brochure PDFs and don’t see any mention, with the only exception being that both EB and GT PP equipped Mustangs come with a “unique splitter” (obviously) and that’s the ONLY reference to the front bumper cover or anything on the front exterior of the car.

Does it have something to do with build dates?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, I don’t have S&S package.

Here is an older thread I found where a 2018 GT owner posted pics of his front bumper cover and inner wheel well liner showing the ported corner bumper vents and how the air tract comes through the wheel well liner (post # 6):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-fake-air-intakes.97704/

I’m now curious myself as to why some have the correct parts and others don’t?

I have been looking through online Ford brochure PDFs and don’t see any mention, with the only exception being that both EB and GT PP equipped Mustangs come with a “unique splitter” (obviously) and that’s the ONLY reference to the front bumper cover or anything on the front exterior of the car.

Does it have something to do with build dates?
I am assuming all 18+ GT PP cars have closed vents. Every one on that thread who has a GT pp had closed vents.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yeah. I’m assuming only Ecoboost cars are open or non pp GT’s.
Good discussion.

So if we’re are discussing 2018-19 aerodynamics, why would the exact same body and front end have vented vs. non-vented inserts, IF the front wheels are not dramatically different and both models (EB PP or GT PP) can exceed 120+mph?

The S550 Shelby (even though front bumper design is totally different), has open ventilation.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
maybe the belly pan with the air diverters on the PP cars do a better job than the bumper scoops? could be conflicting air movement? meaning coming from both sides of the wheel

OP
OP
Stangry

Stangry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Sooooo I did all that work to paint the lower grill, and corner pockets gloss. Got the car wrapped. Someone just backed into the car this week. I need a new bumper, fender headlight, wrap. I can see the comedy in it, but I'm still pissed lol. We're over 5k in damage.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Sooooo I did all that work to paint the lower grill, and corner pockets gloss. Got the car wrapped. Someone just backed into the car this week. I need a new bumper, fender headlight, wrap. I can see the comedy in it, but I'm still pissed lol. We're over 5k in damage.
That's horrible man..sorry to hear that .. hope everything works out and fix as good as new

OP
OP
Stangry

Stangry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks. I'm gonna see if he can sneak a Bullitt lower grill into the claim. Shhhhhhh...
Sponsored