2018 fake air intakes?

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by mjr1989, Jan 31, 2018.

1. mjr1989

mjr1989 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    Has anyone else noticed that the front air intake inserts that are integrated in the front bumper of the 18s are fake? I remember seeing that they would be functional when the 18 redesign was first shown last year, but apparently Ford decided to install fake honeycomb inserts instead. I find that extremely disappointing, and it reminds me of the SN95 days, with all the fake hood scoops and side scoops that Ford used on that body style. Ford seemed to have turned a page on the S550 body style by using real and functional intakes/scoops, but it seems something has changed. I'm curious as to why Ford decided to install fake honeycomb inserts in the intakes, rather than the functional honeycomb inserts that were shown last year. Seeing as how I just ordered my 18 GT, I'm hoping an aftermarket company such as Roush or Steeda makes functional inserts to replace the fake OE ones.

Thoughts?

2. Spork3245

Spork3245 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
    0   0   0
    #2 Spork3245, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    I thought they were real? The 2013/2014 had real ones. Then again, on my old 2013 GT, in the winter when snow would pack into the louvers of the heat extractors the snow would quickly melt when the engine came on, but with my 2016 GT it definitely doesn't seem to do it as quickly, though I contributed that to the integrated turn signals taking up some of the space.

EDIT: Wow! Complete reading fail on my part! I thought you were asking about the hood vents. :p

3. BrandonB

BrandonB Tinted Window Licker

Vehicle(s):
    '18 GT Oxford 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Are you talking about the intakes for the "Aero Curtains" underneath the turn signal/fog light housing?

If so, they are blocked off for the Performance Pack models along with the deletion of the active grille shutters. I have a non-PP and they are indeed real, the active grill shutters are loud AF as well, I can hear them snapping shut under low-load cruising.

If that's not what you're talking about then... whoops.

4. OP
    OP
    mjr1989

mjr1989 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    Yes, I'm referring to the intakes in the bumper under the fog lights. Odd that they are blocked off in the Performance Pack GTs. I wonder what the reasoning is. Since I ordered a Performance Pack, I will have to swap out the inserts for some from a non-PP car, because fake grilles/scoops drive me nuts. :frusty:

5. UAmach1

UAmach1 Bullitt Hopefull

Vehicle(s):
    Ford/INFINITI
    0   0   0
    Likely aerodynamics. May be a trade off of less aero for fuel economy and more for downforce? Or for higher speed stability.

6. BrandonB

Vehicle(s):
    '18 GT Oxford 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I may be wrong, but I assume it has something to do with the larger/wider or more offset wheels. I think since they poke out more it destroys the "aero curtain" and makes the ducts pointless anyway. I've since put larger wheels/tires on mine and have noticed a little more wind noise down the doors... oorr that might just be the fact I'm running 285's.

The airbox scoop on the driver's side of the grill is functional as well, I don't know how functional but there is a duct to the airbox present.

Pictures of my 301A for reference, hopefully they don't suck. IMG_8221.JPG IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8219.JPG IMG_8223.JPG

Timeless, mjr1989 and UAmach1 like this.
  7. TomcatDriver

TomcatDriver Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
    0   0   0
    I wonder if you could re-route those to the brakes.

8. BrandonB

Vehicle(s):
    '18 GT Oxford 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    You probably could. It LOOKS like the bumper insert is one piece itself, and then the duct that exits into the wheel well is a separate piece that snaps into the back of the bumper insert. Hopefully the aftermarket catches on to this..

9. Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    I can confirm the the EcoBoost performance pack keeps the functional vents/scoops. What up with that? Checked the sticker and took some photos so it’s for real for anyone interested in the Ecoboost.

10. xt6wagon

xt6wagon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 base triple yellow
    0   0   0
    Ford spent a non-trival amount of money to put those in, so they are there for a reason.

not sure if its to cool the outside tread block, or for some drag reduction purpose.

11. Fatguy

Fatguy Banned

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0
    They are there for aerodynamics. The current theory is that the pp wheels extend outside the air curtains created by those scoops. But the same 19X9 wheels are used by the GT and EcoBoost pp. Yet the EcoBoost has the functional scoops which would seem to blow that theory out of the water.

I would put more faith in Ford if they hadn’t screwed up other things up like the tach on the Canadian cars. But right now it is all open to conjecture.

12. Robby

Robby Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '16 DIB 2.3T
    0   0   0
    Anyone know where I can get some of those "Push To Release" Pins in the Wheel well?

13. BrandonB

Vehicle(s):
    '18 GT Oxford 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    The idea is that they create high pressure ‘sheets’ of ‘wind’ down the side of the car that lays over the wheel well openings. So that oncoming fresh air that goes around the front bumper and down the sides of the car does not have the chance to hang up on the rotating wheels or in the wheel wells themselves.

All in the name of saving gas and being slippier in the air.

The ‘18 Ecoboost PP does not get the same wheels the GT PP does. They don’t have as aggressive an offset as the GTPP’s. **I Beleive**..

So keep your faith! They still make sense on the EBPP. A wheel that extends off the front hub more than X millimeters (whatever that distance Ford may have determined) would block and ultimately destroy that ‘wind sheet’ I was talking about.

Very technical terms, I know....

canyon ed likes this.
  14. nrc

nrc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EB PP
    0   0   0
    I wonder how many decimals they have to carry on the drag coefficient to see the benefit of those functional scoops. :)

15. BrandonB

Vehicle(s):
    '18 GT Oxford 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Like I said... just keep your faith.. lol