Sponsored

2016 mt82 issue or just clunky as always.

jstaz1993

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Recently just bought a 2016 mustang GT with the PP with 38k miles. I've been noticing that when I go from 1-2 or 2-3 I can feel in the shifter like it's grinding and then popping into gear. (I can tell when the gears line up) when it happens the pull up coller for reverse rattles. I make sure the clutch is all the way depressed to the floor when this happens and pretty often. Wether the cars cold or warmed up. It worries me a bit.

I have read that changing the trans fluid to BG syncro shift 2 or even RP syncromax can help alot, but wanted to see if it's the same clunkyness that is with all mt82's
Sponsored

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic Metal
I had nibbles in mine, switched to BG about 1000 miles ago. The nibble is probably causing a little vibration in the shifter which makes the loose, for some reason, lockout collar rattle. The BG certainly made it smoother for me and nibbling at the gear has pretty much disappeared.

Used car? Maybe someone had aftermarket gear on there (lock out collar, short throw) and either didn't re-install properly or something was "knocked" loose?

I would pull the bezel and have a look. The reverse lockout has a channel that a screw rides in, I'd certainly check that.

King138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Performance Pack GT
I had nibbles in mine, switched to BG about 1000 miles ago. The nibble is probably causing a little vibration in the shifter which makes the loose, for some reason, lockout collar rattle. The BG certainly made it smoother for me and nibbling at the gear has pretty much disappeared.

Used car? Maybe someone had aftermarket gear on there (lock out collar, short throw) and either didn't re-install properly or something was "knocked" loose?

I would pull the bezel and have a look. The reverse lockout has a channel that a screw rides in, I'd certainly check that.
I’m still learning the s550 acronyms. What does BG stand for lol

OP
OP

jstaz1993

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m still learning the s550 acronyms. What does BG stand for lol
BG syncro shift 2, it's a transmission fluid that really helps out the mt-82 clunkyness. It's not cheap from what I've found, about $20-$25 a quart. If I'm not wrong the mt-82 takes around 3 quarts ( I haven't looked it up in my owner's manual).

I was just wandering if the nothyness when shifting was normal. Best way I could describe it is when I'm driving and press the clutch and I try to go to the next gears it feels like the gears are not lined up but then it slide into gear. But I'll change out the trans fluid and see if that helps.

I do plan on doing a Barton short throw trans mount some time. Not sure when I'ma be able to do that.

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
In a nutshell, BG should solve all of your issues. It will take some driving for it to settle in but after a week or so (depending on how much you drive) it should eliminate all that you describe.

The kit is about $80 and has everything you need. I paid a local shop $30 to swap it all out and could not be happier.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The “nibs” or grinding sensation is normal. Same with mine and it took a few weeks for my brain to wrap around the fact it’s a trait on the trans.

Mine thankfully is probably on the more quiet and less clunky side than some that have posted about issues, but it’s still got “character”.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
This tranny is noisy, notchy and very picky on when it wants to go into gear. Found that certain gears like higher rpms than others. Shifting at 3k seems to be the sweet spot. I don't care for the MT82 to be honest. Good parts from Germany but put together in China.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Honestly, give Motul Multi DCTF a try.
I’ve been a BG SS II user for many years.
Personally, my 2015 GT/PP MT-82 w/Motul DCTF fluid shifts outstanding. OEM fill, not so good and typical of most everyone’s experience.
Sub freezing temps she drops into gear with no effort with about 18,000 miles on fluid.
Motul DCTF is designed for abuse plus Getrag spec’s DCTF type fluid for the MT-82

Just one mans opinion.

Last edited:

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
Personally, my 2015 GT/PP MT-82 w/Motul DCTF fluid shifts outstanding. OEM fill, not so good and typical of most everyone’s experience.
Sub freezing temps she drops into gear with no effort with about 18,000 miles on fluid.
Motul DCTF is designed for abuse plus Getrag spec’s DCTF type fluid for the MT-82

Just one mans opinion.
Where can you buy this fluid? My trans shifts like crap with only 40k on it but keep in mind I have the roush phase 2 supercharger with 727 hp and 3:73 gears in the back. With my new clutch a Spec 3+ its kinda hard to drive it normal. I think 3rd and 5th are the worst gears and higher RPMs make it even worse. I`m just outside of Chicago.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Summit Racing
Amazon
Rally Sport Direct
Worldpac if you gotta guy that can hook you up.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Same boat here. Picked up a 2017 about a month ago. Previous car was a sn95 with a T45 I had beefed up. I used to be able to just whack that thing into gear without thinking about it. The mt-82 is a totally different animal. Taken me almost 3 weeks or more of driving to get used to it's quirks and learn what it likes & what it doesn't.

I just swapped out the stock trans fluid with the BG stuff on Sunday. Have only done limited driving (awful weather in Chicagoland this week), but within a few miles I noticed a difference. Seems to go into gear much smoother now. So I definitely think swapping out the trans fluid for the BG stuff or something similar is worthwhile.

All that being said, there just seems to be a lot of lash in the driveline as a whole. Seems to be normal characteristics from what I've been reading. I"m installing the steeda stop the hop starter kit soon. Hoping that assists in calming down some of the thumps I'm hearing.

Last edited:

LeagueRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
That Guy
Vehicle(s)
Same boat here. Picked up a 2017 about a month ago. Previous car was a sn95 with a T45 I had beefed up. I used to be able to just whack that thing into gear without thinking about it. The mt-82 is a totally different animal. Taken me almost 3 weeks or more of driving to get used to it's quirks and learn what it likes & what it doesn't.

I just swapped out the stock trans fluid with the BG stuff on Sunday. Have only done limited driving (awful weather in Chicagoland this week), but within a few miles I noticed a difference. Seems to go into gear much smoother now. So I definitely think swapping out the trans fluid for the BG stuff or something similar is worthwhile.

All that being said, there just seems to be a lot of lash in the driveline as a whole. Seems to be normal characteristics from what I've been reading. I"m installing the steeda stop the hop starter kit soon. Hoping that assists in calming down some of the thumps I'm hearing.
The boomba trans mount gets rid of 90% of the driveline slack. Made going into gear even smoother

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
These transmissions seem to be hit or miss. You either got a good one or a bad one. Mine happens to be super quiet and shifts great so I consider myself lucky. Even though this transmission is a German design I believe not only is it assembled in China, but I'm sure a lot of the parts are made in China too. Most Chinese things are very inconsistent in my experience. Ford should have stuck strictly with Tremec on all the Mustangs, but the bean counters sometimes win out and the end user sometimes has to deal with it. Truly sad

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine is awful notchy. I fitted a Boomba transmission mount and that has improved it, but I can still get a missed shift between 4th and 5th every so often. Apparently the MT-82 is the same box fitted to the Ford Transit van (in UK) and I drove one of those the other day and it was great. So go figure...

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package

Just one mans opinion.
^^ This. Not sure why everyone obsesses about BG. It is a manual transmission fluid with a 75W-80 viscosity. DCTF fluid is 75W with a hot viscosity of about 7 to 9 cSt at 100C, not 80! Both Getrag and Temec specify DCTF or Automatic transmission fluids for their manuals. The only thing your accomplishing by running traditional higher viscosity fluids is increasing fluid drag and consequently reducing power to the wheels...I've tried BG SyncroshiftII 75W-80, Ravenol 75W-80 and finally went back to DCTF with Motul DCTF. Motul has resulted in by far the best operation over all.

NONE of them fixed my issue of grinding in a 2-3 down shift when cold (below about 45F temps), so I avoid that until the tranny has warmed up. Apparently I got a half baked MT-82 that refuses to work 100% when it's cold, but it works flawlessly when warm and is extremely smooth with Motul. Stick with DCTF, works the best in a transmission designed for DCTF and results in the greatest power to the wheels.
Sponsored