2015 Backup Camera Glitches when Hot

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
So as the summer quickly approaches I’ve noticed my mustangs backup camera going out and glitching. It’s happened twice and seems to be only happening on really hot days.

I have a 2015 Mustang Gt Premium. I live in Arizona and the temp was like 95 ish. Seemed to work later in the day when it was cooler. First time it happened the camera went black and the mustang gave me an error saying camera wasn’t detected (happened a few weeks ago). Today it went black and the image changed color and moved up and down the screen. Was fine later in the day.

Has anyone had this issue? Do you think I’ll need to get the whole camera replaced or is there maybe a fix I could try doing myself? Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
First thing to do is check the wiring harness from the body to the trunk lid. It's a known problem area for earlier S550s. I could easily see wiring and wire insulation affected by extreme heat, or cold for that matter.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
First thing to do is check the wiring harness from the body to the trunk lid. It's a known problem area for earlier S550s. I could easily see wiring and wire insulation affected by extreme heat, or cold for that matter.
Thanks for the suggestion I’ll look up a video and see if anything looks out of place on mine. Would be nice if it just needs new insulation or something.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
failing capacitors. Get a new board. Or figure a way to vent the area to keep temps down - trim away sound panel, add holes, tape/lay a white hand towel over that area of the trunk when you park in the sun? Move to North Dakota?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Mine had this like many others and it started presenting in hot weather first after a really rough trip over I580 construction that was the most uncomfortable woops I've ever felt...for miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Mine had this like many others and it started presenting in hot weather first after a really rough trip over I580 construction that was the most uncomfortable woops I've ever felt...for miles.
What was the solution? Adding new insulation or just putting the wiring harness in a better position?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
What was the solution? Adding new insulation or just putting the wiring harness in a better position?
Thankfully it was under warranty at the time so I made it Ford's problem. I did look into the TSB out of curiosity and it looks like it can be fixed without replacement by repairing the wires where they rub at the trunk hinge, getting more length on the wire bundle to prevent rubbing and possibly adding some sleaving to the wires to lessen any rub that remains.

The root cause is a tight wire harness at the trunk hinge rubbing until the wires break. Here is the TSB if I recall: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/tsb-18-2362-pdf.531547/

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Thankfully it was under warranty at the time so I made it Ford's problem. I did look into the TSB out of curiosity and it looks like it can be fixed without replacement by repairing the wires where they rub at the trunk hinge, getting more length on the wire bundle to prevent rubbing and possibly adding some sleaving to the wires to lessen any rub that remains.

The root cause is a tight wire harness at the trunk hinge rubbing until the wires break. Here is the TSB if I recall: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/tsb-18-2362-pdf.531547/
I opened my harness and no wires were broken. It still turns off after sitting in the sun. I have a 2015 GT as well.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I opened my harness and no wires were broken. It still turns off after sitting in the sun. I have a 2015 GT as well.
Wires can break inside the insulation. I'm not saying this is your problem, it could be something else like the camera itself. But a visual inspection of the wiring does not always tell the whole story. Get a DVM and check for continuity while flexing the wiring.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Wires can break inside the insulation. I'm not saying this is your problem, it could be something else like the camera itself. But a visual inspection of the wiring does not always tell the whole story. Get a DVM and check for continuity while flexing the wiring.
This does happen too. If you don't want to pin out each wire (the engineer method) you can also shake the crap out of the harness when it is working and have a partner look for the failure to happen (the technician method.) The engineer method gives you subjective data, the technician method tests on a more dynamic, real world operation.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
This does happen too. If you don't want to pin out each wire (the engineer method) you can also shake the crap out of the harness when it is working and have a partner look for the failure to happen (the technician method.) The engineer method gives you subjective data, the technician method tests on a more dynamic, real world operation.
Sure, both work but one, pinning out the wires, will tell you which wires need to be fixed. The other method will confirm a problem but not tell you specifically where. If a tech is simply replacing the harness it's fine but if you are repairing the specific problem then it's just an extra step before doing the pinning anyway...

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Sure, both work but one, pinning out the wires, will tell you which wires need to be fixed. The other method will confirm a problem but not tell you specifically where. If a tech is simply replacing the harness it's fine but if you are repairing the specific problem then it's just an extra step before doing the pinning anyway...
Pull out and check one wire for the length of the harness or check the 2-4 that go to the affected part in the bend point of the area you shook. Either way your going have to inspect that wire to get at the failure point or go hog wild and re-string the wire the whole length at which point I'd just order a new harness.

moses19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moses
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Happens to mine basically every day now lol sometimes i just open and close the trunk and it fixes it.

dwc032

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Stage 3 Roush
My camera was doing the samething. The wires in the trunk were about 90% cut in half. No idea how anything worked. I added about 2'' of wire and all works fine now.

tempImageNNVVHK.png

tempImagebz4iJu.png
Sponsored