2 post lift for the 350

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I don't think the top piece on a two-post lift is technically a "support". Realize all lifts flex. The stanchions could easily fail fore, in for aft if improperly designed, manufactured, installed or used. I'd rather they flex then fail. Watch any large aircraft wing on takeoff; they flex a huge amount during rotation for takeoff. On shorter two-post lifts like my DW, the hydraulic lines and cable that connects the lifting mechanisms run on the floor between the stanchions. On taller stanchion lifts, those mechanics can be run from above. My two-post is rated for 9K pounds, and when I lift any vehicle, I use four jacks under the lift points for support and added safety.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
My next place with have a lift installed. I've helped install and worked on 2 and 4 post residential lifts. For me - the drive on 4 post is useless much of the time unless you buy optional trolley jack(s) to get the wheels off. The best deals - if you have the ceiling height - is buying used commercial lifts, two friends have scored lifts off Craigslist from local shops closing up. Install is usually more involved but they are more stout for sure.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Whether you go with a two or four post lift, I highly recommend Bendpak - their stuff is very high quality, but priced so that it's affordable for the home hobbyist.

I have the HD-9W, which is a four post, 9000 lb capacity, with extra width.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I hate you, your cool cars, AND your well organized shop. :p

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I wouldn't hesitate to store a car on my 2-post, but I don't need the space at the moment. If we area talking about stability, that is one thing I wondered about the Max Jax system. If you are buying the lift to work on cars...the 2-post is much more versatile. If you are getting a lift to increase parking...4-post (easy to put together, concrete and cracks aren't an issue, and it can be moved around the garage if needed.

Sponsored

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R HR222, Audi RS3, BMW 1M, Boxster Spyder
Agree with the comments thus far...2 post for mechanical work, 4 post for storage capability as general guidance. What is weird in my case is how quickly my needs/priorities changed. I had extra concrete reinforcements poured and a 220 run to the ceiling to support and power a Bendpak 2 post (home was new construction). I then opted for an additional car, and I got a 4 post that runs on 110 to completely negate my “upgrades”. I have grown to appreciate the versatility of the 4 post, but the center mount jacks to give it some 2 post maintenance capability won’t come cheap. If your mission is maintenance ability and cost effectiveness, 2 post all the way. If you have an inability to stay focused or believe you can acquire cars like a random show on Velocity (both my Achilles Heels), get a 4 post.
aaa.jpg

Last edited:

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Whether you go with a two or four post lift, I highly recommend Bendpak - their stuff is very high quality, but priced so that it's affordable for the home hobbyist.

Bend Pack for sure, very nice lifts. Love your garage and cars as well.

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Miata (BBR turbo), '18 Subaru WRX
I have a Bendpak 10,000 lb asymmetrical lift in my shop. Only hassle is the GT350 is so low the front arms will not go under it. I have to drive the front wheels up on a 2" ramp to get them under the car. They go under my lowered Miata with no problem.

This is an old picture, all the cars shown have been sold.
DSCN5456.jpg

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)

#GarageGoals

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I have a Bendpak 10,000 lb asymmetrical lift in my shop. Only hassle is the GT350 is so low the front arms will not go under it. I have to drive the front wheels up on a 2" ramp to get them under the car. They go under my lowered Miata with no problem.

This is an old picture, all the cars shown have been sold.
A friend has a car like the one on the lift. Can’t remember, is it a Lotus or an Alpa Romeo????

Sponsored

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
A friend has a car like the one on the lift. Can’t remember, is it a Lotus or an Alpa Romeo????
Its a 2004 Caterham 7 SV, the only Lotus 7 clone authorized by Lotus when they sold the rights, parts and fixtures to Caterham in 1973.

When I built it I put in an 1,800cc turbocharged Miata engine and transmission instead of the Ford Zetec and T5 transmission the kit was designed for. It weighed 1,340lb and dyno'd 301 HP at the rear wheels.

SkipCannon-BA.jpg

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Its a 2004 Caterham 7 SV, the only Lotus 7 clone authorized by Lotus when they sold the rights, parts and fixtures to Caterham in 1973.

When I built it I put in an 1,800cc turbocharged Miata engine and transmission instead of the Ford Zetec and T5 transmission the kit was designed for. It weighed 1,340lb and dyno'd 301 HP at the rear wheels.

SkipCannon-BA.jpg
Cool, I’ll bet that thing flys! I don’t think Gerry’s is a clone, not that it matters. He’s got a really cool collection including a 91 F-40 and a 71 Lamborghini Muira.

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
Cool, I’ll bet that thing flys!
The problem was that at 135 mph the front end starts to lift and life gets really scary. 0 - 60 was 3.5 seconds.

On a warm day with sticky tires several passengers noted that the front wheels came about 4" off the ground when I banged a good shift into second gear. I never saw it as it requires one hand on the steering wheel, one on the shifter, one eye on the tach and one on the road under WOT. It was a fun car, I miss it.
Sponsored