Sponsored

2 post lift for the 350

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
Hi everyone. I am looking into a 2 post lift for my 350R for my garage that would require a low ceiling type lift. I have been looking online and come across so many. I have 110 inches of height (just over 9 ft) and do like the portable type that can be stored. What are you guys using that have them and what should I stay away from. Thanks
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Have you also looked into the 4 post option that has the option of also lifting from the jack points? Doesn't even need to be bolted down.

If you haven't, check this install:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I have a 4 post as well. Concrete has to be pretty thick for a 2 post type.
My ceiling is 9” 6” and can just fit a Mustang on top and one under. Anything shorter can be an issue for stacking.
Also, watch where your garage door opens. I had my door “lifted” so it goes to the ceiling vice the normal height so it doesn’t hit the car.

OP
OP

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
I did not know about the jacks on the 4 post. Portable is nice but not a must. Just want a quality lift. Ill look into them also.

Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I've got a Derek Weaver two-post installed in a ten foot high shop anchored into 4" 3500PSI concrete floor. Great deal and very easy to install. I had an electrician do the 220V power line to it. I looked into a four-post option, but couldn't see paying the extra cost for the centerline jacks in order to get the wheels off the lift. I use my lift nearly every day, sometimes just to spray on tire glaze. I'd buy a four-post for storage, but the two-post is for maintenance. Just look at any auto dealer service bay. How many four-post lifts do you see?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I hemmed and hawed for a long time over whether to get a two or four post lift. My wife made the decision for me by buying the four post display model at WoW about 5 years ago from the local lift guy.

I have not regretted having a four post over a two post for one second since. The four post is much more convenient for routine things like oil changes, you just drive on, no getting on your hands and knees to set the arms. The rolling trolly jack makes getting the wheels up to remove a snap. And the rails make a perfect tray for your tools when working under the car.

My son has both two and four post lifts in his shop. They both have their place but my experience over the past 5 years a four poster is hard to beat for convenience for the home shop.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I have a 4 post as well. Concrete has to be pretty thick for a 2 post type.
My ceiling is 9” 6” and can just fit a Mustang on top and one under. Anything shorter can be an issue for stacking.
Also, watch where your garage door opens. I had my door “lifted” so it goes to the ceiling vice the normal height so it doesn’t hit the car.

That is also the height of the ceiling in my garage. Please let me know the brand and model of your lift?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
Direct Lift: I have a 2 and a 4-post. Both will work in a low-ceiling garage. If I could only have one, it would be a 2-post. Direct Lift is Chinese, but owned and backed by Revolution. Installed them myself.

Last edited:

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Another vote for Derek Weaver lifts. I installed a 2-post lift in my shop, and went with them due to the direct-lift hydraulics rather than chain-style. That's neither here nor there for you, but I was very impressed with their quality, price, and ease of installation.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
That is also the height of the ceiling in my garage. Please let me know the brand and model of your lift?
Mine is from the Lift SuperStore. Even though this sticker says 110v, mine is 220v. Can be installed either way.
C67D4F3F-1D35-4BA5-A653-77638BC8DD8B.jpeg

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a 4 post lift as well and I highly recommend it. Much safer and easier to operate. Also works great as extra space to store things on:)

2 post lift requires not only much thicker concrete than you will see in a residential garage but also the pressure of the concrete has to be different. In addition, all residential garages have built in slopes. Its much easier to deal with that slope on a 4 post lift or not even deal with it at all vs in 2 post lift you need to use shims under those concrete anchors and a) they have limitations and b) its not something actual car shop owners will recommend. Bottom line is 2 post lift isnt practical for residential use.

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I have a 4 post lift as well and I highly recommend it. Much safer and easier to operate. Also works great as extra space to store things on:)

2 post lift requires not only much thicker concrete than you will see in a residential garage but also the pressure of the concrete has to be different. In addition, all residential garages have built in slopes. Its much easier to deal with that slope on a 4 post lift or not even deal with it at all vs in 2 post lift you need to use shims under those concrete anchors and a) they have limitations and b) its not something actual car shop owners will recommend. Bottom line is 2 post lift isnt practical for residential use.
I dealt with all of this in my previous garage. If you follow the lift manufacturer's directions you will be fine and safe. As far as a 2-post not being "practical"....I guess that is one man's opinion (who probably doesn't have on in his garage and probably hasn't worked with one).

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
2 post lift requires not only much thicker concrete than you will see in a residential garage but also the pressure of the concrete has to be different. In addition, all residential garages have built in slopes.
I beg to differ with the above. Search through the install PDF's for some randomly chosen 2 post lifts (not for heavy commercial trucks but rather the type being discussed here). You'll see, for example, 4” Min. Thickness / 3,000 PSI as the minimum. Both are typical for a residential home. Furthermore, not all residential garages have sloped slabs. If they did and you wanted a two post lift all you have to do is shim (I'd recommend using non-shrink grout as well).

I spent three decades in heavy/commercial construction and worked with concrete almost every day.

OP
OP

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350R
So I think a 2 post would fit the bill for my space. I have a height of just over 9 ft. I like the maxjack so I could set it up and store it away. Just concerns me without the top brace. Does the Maxjack want to lean in without a top piece to connect the 2 post. Is the maxjack a quality piece.
Sponsored