Sponsored

2.9L whipple surging

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
I have something that may be what you guys are describing, especially in 3rd gear, but I'm on a Lund tune. I tried to describe it to Lund to ask what data they wanted to log to capture it and Jon Sr got a little defensive and said its they same tune they run in their car and they have no driveability issues...I wasn't sure if I'm just pickier than he is or what. Was thinking about bringing it up again, also thinking about contacting Whipple to see what it would take to upgrade to stage 2 and switch to flight control. Either way, it's a little encouraging to know that I'm not crazy and there may be a resolution to the problem!
Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I received the restrictor from whipple but it did not come with any install instructions. does anyone have a PDF they can post please...
Press into the end of the bypass nipple, until it locks in place (to its step). Reinstall hose. For easier access remove air tube and throttle body.

CDawsonAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Does anyone know when the update will be released or how to get the bypass from Whipple?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Does anyone know when the update will be released or how to get the bypass from Whipple?
Whipple is currently working on the hesitation issue some have with a new calibration. Hold tight as it will be announced and made available to those with the hesitation issue when ready.

aoe_viruz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
Just wanted to chime in and say I've also had this problem from the get go. I have a big hill I have to climb to get home. I've noticed it the most at 1/4-1/2 throttle between 2-3krpms. Solution, Floor it. :cheers: Looking forward to the update.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
The update is suppose to be out this week sometime

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Drivers bank tensioner upside down

I think it's been proven, when the tune is done in the way ours is done with the advanced engineers and calibration tools, it does work. We've got more PD kits out there than anyone else and far more sophisticated logic added to the software than anyone else. There is a reason everyone bolts on and goes without custom tuning.

As for cam variance, how would a custom tuner even know this? You can data log the position, but that lies the problem, it's telling you where it thinks it is, not where it actually is. If you don't have logic to detect when those readings are off, then one would never know. And then, how do you adjust, 1 cam, 2, 3 or 4? What happens if debris on the cam is causing it to be off and the debris moves? These are all things that are happening in the engines every minute, we already have logic in there for this, but we have gotten more advanced in detecting and correcting to be even more accurate.
Can you comment on the drivers side cam to cam chain tensioner is not on the lag side? Freakn position seems to be variable with load and thus depending on the spring rate: there are variances in the tensioner the load curve at which the tensioner starts giving up slack (and thus floating the cam position slightly like +/- 1 to 3 degress)).

I have heard that more than one tuner call BS on this in logs and I think at least MMR has an drivers bank tensioner mount that moves the tensioner to the slack side. Supposedly more than one engine builder already does this thought they dont advertise the mount stand alone for sale.

Whipple done any testing on this?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
this is something we talked about when the coyote first came out the drivers side slack being the wrong direction

all the new engines we do, we always recommend the mmr bracket that flips the tensioner to help keep consistent tension on the drivers side

Bkingnorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I have something that may be what you guys are describing, especially in 3rd gear, but I'm on a Lund tune. I tried to describe it to Lund to ask what data they wanted to log to capture it and Jon Sr got a little defensive and said its they same tune they run in their car and they have no driveability issues...I wasn't sure if I'm just pickier than he is or what. Was thinking about bringing it up again, also thinking about contacting Whipple to see what it would take to upgrade to stage 2 and switch to flight control. Either way, it's a little encouraging to know that I'm not crazy and there may be a resolution to the problem!
I am currently having what's sounds to be the same issue with a A6. Just installed everything and had Lund tune it. Drive it and noticed a terrible lag climbing any grade at all beginning at 2300 rpms. I have to apply tons of throttle to get around it and the result is a kick down into a crazy gear that will put you broadside in the rain. I have been scratching my head all day and have come to the conclusion that it is in the tune. Here's why, if I run in manual shift mode, problem is gone. What is changing between the two modes to propagate this condition.
I too have been insisting on some further investigation from Lund but he is definitely defensive about it.
This is what I'm observing.
During this condition:
The transmission is performing as it should, kicking down to lower gears as per throttle pedal position feedback.
What is NOT happening (data logs are showing) is the TPS sensor records NO change in position regardless of the pedal position at that time which means that is the root of the surge/lag problem. Trick is getting Lund or someone to listen. And again, this is only present in "drive" transmission mode.
Data log your manual car and see if you're is doing the same.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I was emailed from Whipple today the new tune to fix the surging isnt yet ready for release. they are close and it should be soon. if i hear anything ill keep you guys posted.

rich

CDawsonAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I really expect this to come out by the end of the month. I have been hearing we're close...it should be out in a few weeks..soon. I've had this issue since February and the soon responses are not going to keep me much longer. Has anyone else considered returning for a refund? I have been considering this option and looking at a VMP 715 HP system. Has anyone heard if VMP has this same issue?

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
I was emailed from Whipple today the new tune to fix the surging isnt yet ready for release. they are close and it should be soon. if i hear anything ill keep you guys posted.

rich
In speaking with Dustin, it is going to be a few weeks. The tuner is coming in to do live testing on the test car, and go from there.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Has anyone heard anything new from Whipple yet?

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone heard anything new from Whipple yet?
As stated above your post, it's still gona be at least a couple weeks. Dustin stated they made some changes, but their calibrator was coming in to do live test/tune on the test car they have in order to get it fully dialed in. Followed by a lot of testing i'm sure.
Sponsored