Sponsored

18 vs type r?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What do you mean by precise? Are you saying the tires are stickier?
According to this guy's review they were extensively tested through autocross / 4 road track days and he says they suck. The OEM tires "Continental SportContact 6 tires"
Sponsored

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
What do you mean by precise? Are you saying the tires are stickier?
It's the quicker steering ratio, with the mustang, you have a bit of play on center. With the R, the slightest turn off center, and your moving. The steering is just insanely direct in the R

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's the quicker steering ratio, with the mustang, you have a bit of play on center. With the R, the slightest turn off center, and your moving. The steering is just insanely direct in the R
Makes sense. So, if you changed tires and alignment settings you would probably duplicate some of the feeling.

I know in my Mustang the steering is pretty direct and the car will change directions very quickly.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Didn’t think this topic would create such a debate. I love it. I think where i stand on this as the OP, is that these two cars are so close in 1/4 and 0-60 that this would come down to a drivers race. Whose got the better launch. From a roll though, say, 30-100,110, I’d say the eco boost would win. Almost every time. But I have zero proof of that, it’s just a guess.

Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am still thinking of something that combines my GT with my Fiesta ST and get down to one car. Some you may laugh but I think the GT is too fast while on the other end my Fiesta is too slow. Type R and also Veloster N are both right in the middle. I am looking for reliability and a no issues car. My 2017 Camaro RS had tranny issues and my 18 GT has the 2-3K engine rattle, which is annoying and getting old. The Fiesta ST has been great, no issues at all and is a great corner carver but being blown away by SUV's and mini vans is no fun at all on my daily commute.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am still thinking of something that combines my GT with my Fiesta ST and get down to one car. Some you may laugh but I think the GT is too fast while on the other end my Fiesta is too slow. Type R and also Veloster N are both right in the middle. I am looking for reliability and a no issues car. My 2017 Camaro RS had tranny issues and my 18 GT has the 2-3K engine rattle, which is annoying and getting old. The Fiesta ST has been great, no issues at all and is a great corner carver but being blown away by SUV's and mini vans is no fun at all on my daily commute.
I don't think your crazy.... I have two cars too. I have a Veloster Turbo. Paid it off and set my eyes on the Focus RS then I stumbled upon a Motor Trend video of the GT350R. Sold and got myself one. Now I got a slow car and a super fast car too meet my needs. Now if you're saying that the GT is too fast and you want to combine 2 cars for one and have a between car. Then you should get the Focus RS (288 whp) The Type R and the Veloster N (233whp) are both jokes. I own a Veloster. I wouldn't get Veloster N unless it reached 350 hp like the RS. Get a used Focus RS with the head gasket fixed and the warranty for another 10 years that covers engine and interior and do not mod it. You'll be golden and coming out ahead.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Try a focus ST. I had one of those. That wasn’t shit your pants fast but with that tiny turbo it was plenty quick around town. Loses out on the top end but, up to like 5k rpm it’s great. Plenty of charge space. Car gets even better with a few parts and pro tune.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think your crazy.... I have two cars too. I have a Veloster Turbo. Paid it off and set my eyes on the Focus RS then I stumbled upon a Motor Trend video of the GT350R. Sold and got myself one. Now I got a slow car and a super fast car too meet my needs. Now if you're saying that the GT is too fast and you want to combine 2 cars for one and have a between car. Then you should get the Focus RS (288 whp) The Type R and the Veloster N (233whp) are both jokes. I own a Veloster. I wouldn't get Veloster N unless it reached 350 hp like the RS. Get a used Focus RS with the head gasket fixed and the warranty for another 10 years that covers engine and interior and do not mod it. You'll be golden and coming out ahead.
I almost bought a used Focus RS with 5K miles before I bought my 18 GT. The head gasket issue had not been addressed and the dealer didn't accept my offer of 35K for it so for it. I opted for my brand new GT which I got for 5K less.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Try a focus ST. I had one of those. That wasn’t shit your pants fast but with that tiny turbo it was plenty quick around town. Loses out on the top end but, up to like 5k rpm it’s great. Plenty of charge space. Car gets even better with a few parts and pro tune.
I test drove one a couple of years ago and it did not wow me for some reason. I did not like the fake engine sound in the cabin. And probably since I had a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 which I loved until it got totaled. I would still have it if it didn't get totaled.

I'm finding that it's very hard to find something that's ideal- there seems to be problems with all the makes out there. Mustang GT's have typewriter tick, piston slop issues- I know mine has it. Camaros have 8 speed transmission issues- I know I had one. (although have not heard any M/T issues). Veloster N I am not sure about, don't really like the Hyundai name. CTR if it had 19" wheels and no wing I so far would like the best but to spend 36K and have to buy new tires and wheels for 2K on top of that is pricey......Focus RS they don't make anymore and some need new head gasket. Since my Fiesta ST has been so good I'm very tempted to cash in on my GT and drop 3K into the ST for tune, larger intercooler, intake and bigger turbo. Then it should be in the 5.9 sec range, pretty much matching the Veloster N but not quite the CTR and make it a decent commuter able to keep up with traffic.

Sponsored

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
I test drove one a couple of years ago and it did not wow me for some reason. I did not like the fake engine sound in the cabin. And probably since I had a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 which I loved until it got totaled. I would still have it if it didn't get totaled.

I'm finding that it's very hard to find something that's ideal- there seems to be problems with all the makes out there. Mustang GT's have typewriter tick, piston slop issues- I know mine has it. Camaros have 8 speed transmission issues- I know I had one. (although have not heard any M/T issues). Veloster N I am not sure about, don't really like the Hyundai name. CTR if it had 19" wheels and no wing I so far would like the best but to spend 36K and have to buy new tires and wheels for 2K on top of that is pricey......Focus RS they don't make anymore and some need new head gasket. Since my Fiesta ST has been so good I'm very tempted to cash in on my GT and drop 3K into the ST for tune, larger intercooler, intake and bigger turbo. Then it should be in the 5.9 sec range, pretty much matching the Veloster N but not quite the CTR and make it a decent commuter able to keep up with traffic.
Going stage 3 on the FiST completely changes the car. Its amazing how much even just a DP, IC, and tune will change the way the car starts to put power down. If you went big turbo, you loose most of that low/mid range grunt that currently makes the FiST so fun to drive. We recommend going stage 3 before settling on a BT.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
The Type R is a road course car, not a straight line car. It's competing with cars 2 to 3 times its price tag on the tracks. I'd say it's a really good bang for the buck.

I'd get a Type R when the refresh hits and they tone down that ridiculous wing.
Type R vs Focus RS is what I'm considering. Yeah the wing on the CTR is ridiculous

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Type R vs Focus RS is what I'm considering. Yeah the wing on the CTR is ridiculous
New Type-R rumor to have NSX tech go to it with electric motors powering the rear with the same turbo up front. 400+ HP. That's going to be nuts.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Makes sense. So, if you changed tires and alignment settings you would probably duplicate some of the feeling.

I know in my Mustang the steering is pretty direct and the car will change directions very quickly.
To be honest, I doubt it. It is not just about changing direction quickly. I drove the type R and it is an amazing machine. The chassis is setup so well and it feels extremely direct with a level of feedback that even the GT350 does not have (mostly because of those stupid soft subframe bushings and the extra pork). The only reason I do not have one yet is that my slightly modified FiST is a riot to drive :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To be honest, I doubt it. It is not just about changing direction quickly. I drove the type R and it is an amazing machine. The chassis is setup so well and it feels extremely direct with a level of feedback that even the GT350 does not have (mostly because of those stupid soft subframe bushings and the extra pork). The only reason I do not have one yet is that my slightly modified FiST is a riot to drive :)
Interesting. I don't think I would want more feedback than my GT350 has... at least not for a car I regularly commute in. I usually don't mind having to pay attention and have a firm grip on the steering wheel at all times, but it can be a little annoying occasionally when you want to relax. Just not possible with the amount of feedback in the GT350, unless the road is quite flat.
Sponsored