Sponsored

18 vs type r?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Interesting. I don't think I would want more feedback than my GT350 has... at least not for a car I regularly commute in. I usually don't mind having to pay attention and have a firm grip on the steering wheel at all times, but it can be a little annoying occasionally when you want to relax. Just not possible with the amount of feedback in the GT350, unless the road is quite flat.
I was not taking only about the feedback through the the steering wheel. And to me tramlining is only a component (unwanted) of feedback through the steering wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
The only complaints I’ve heard about the R is the tires stretched around those rims. They’re 20’s that don’t absorb shit and heard you’d be lucky to get 20k miles outta them. And something about 2nd gear popping out or some kind of issue with the tranny. Not it’s reliabilty just glitchy

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was not taking only about the feedback through the the steering wheel. And to me tramlining is only a component (unwanted) of feedback through the steering wheel.
So you are saying the R changes directions very easily and quickly with only a small input to the steering wheel, but if you aren't trying to change directions it doesn't do that?

I agree tramlining isn't generally wanted, but if a car doesn't tramline then by definition it has less feedback through the steering wheel.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
So you are saying the R changes directions very easily and quickly with only a small input to the steering wheel, but if you aren't trying to change directions it doesn't do that?

I agree tramlining isn't generally wanted, but if a car doesn't tramline then by definition it has less feedback through the steering wheel.
I guess my definition of tramlining is different than yours. Mine is the tendency of a car to pull on the steering wheel in a direction that I do not want. So according to my definition less tramlining is not less feedback.

I really do not want to create debate here to be honest. But, if you have the chance I would definitely drive a type R and see what you think.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guess my definition of tramlining is different than yours. Mine is the tendency of a car to pull on the steering wheel in a direction that I do not want. So according to my definition less tramlining is not less feedback.

I really do not want to create debate here to be honest. But, if you have the chance I would definitely drive a type R and see what you think.
Hey sorry I know I can get argumentative at times. I'm not really interested in a type R, so I won't waste a Honda dealership's time by driving one. Just the appearance of it makes it a complete non option for me. However I do like cars - and knowing how they work - and I was mostly trying to understand what you are saying. I'm still not 100% clear, but that's ok.

I think if road features don't pull on the steering wheel, then steering feel is generally described as "NUMB". I know that when I go to my narrow winter tires on the Mustang I don't get nearly as much tramlining, but road feel in general is also diminished as the tires don't have stiff sidewalls or a lot of grip.

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Hey sorry I know I can get argumentative at times. I'm not really interested in a type R, so I won't waste a Honda dealership's time by driving one. Just the appearance of it makes it a complete non option for me. However I do like cars - and knowing how they work - and I was mostly trying to understand what you are saying. I'm still not 100% clear, but that's ok.

I think if road features don't pull on the steering wheel, then steering feel is generally described as "NUMB". I know that when I go to my narrow winter tires on the Mustang I don't get nearly as much tramlining, but road feel in general is also diminished as the tires don't have stiff sidewalls or a lot of grip.
Totally get it! No worries! I drove a friends one so I could test it properly. It was fun. I am also not a big fan of the visuals but I can get over that for a good car.
Another thing with the road feel is that generally the wider the tires the more tramlining you are prone to and also less 'feel'. Now feeling the road surface, proper on center feel, load on steering wheel when not on center is all part of it. Plus all the feedback you get not from the steering (seat for example). Conclusion is that one day, given the right circumstances I am open to own one. :)

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's really hard to imagine a front engine front wheel drive car being great on the road course. I realize they have done some tricks to reduce understeer, but you still have two tires doing all the work and two just along for the ride. Almost anything front engine RWD will be more enjoyable.

I would think it's good for city driving and 0-30 racing. And looking really terrible.
Type-R is the fastest FWD car around the Nurburgring at 7:43 for example our beloved Mustang GT 2015 had a run at 8:07 so even if it's hard to imagine the car is insanely fast around a track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NĂĽrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Not to mention Type-R is much cheaper than a Mustang GT.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
A type R is not much cheaper than a GT. IYS 34,100 for a type R and a GT is 35,500. So we’re not talking about much of a difference here. Although for the price I think you get more from the type R. They make one model of the car. And it’s a premium car.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A type R is not much cheaper than a GT. IYS 34,100 for a type R and a GT is 35,500. So we’re not talking about much of a difference here. Although for the price I think you get more from the type R. They make one model of the car. And it’s a premium car.
Second hand the difference is huge. Today on the track there was one this car is really fast.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
This is just my opinion. But NEVER buy a second hand “sports car”. You don’t know how hard someone abused it. Especially if they knew they were gonna get rid of it so they beat the absolute piss out of it. On that note if you’re gonna buy a second hand, at least get one still under warranty for a good 12k plus or more miles. Just my opinion. Not shitting on someone’s choice to do that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Especially a turbo second hand.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
This is just my opinion. But NEVER buy a second hand “sports car”. You don’t know how hard someone abused it. Especially if they knew they were gonna get rid of it so they beat the absolute piss out of it. On that note if you’re gonna buy a second hand, at least get one still under warranty for a good 12k plus or more miles. Just my opinion. Not shitting on someone’s choice to do that.
I bought my Viper used and have no issues with it what so ever, and that's a dodge

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
I’m not saying it can’t happen. And sweet, I love vipers. Suuuuper butt hurt they stopped making them too

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not saying it can’t happen. And sweet, I love vipers. Suuuuper butt hurt they stopped making them too
i'm in Europe and here you can get a Type-R for 5000 euro less than an entry level GT add bit's and peaces to the the GT and we are talking over 15 000 euro difference brand new.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Type-R is the fastest FWD car around the Nurburgring at 7:43 for example our beloved Mustang GT 2015 had a run at 8:07 so even if it's hard to imagine the car is insanely fast around a track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NĂĽrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Not to mention Type-R is much cheaper than a Mustang GT.
Even if I believed that Nuburgring times are reflective of how much I would enjoy driving each car, I would still not be interested in buying a Type R. I very much doubt I would ever roll down the window so I could hear the exhaust sound better, for example.

I wouldn't worry about a used Mustang, but I would steer clear of a used Honda. They are not built to handle abuse like Mustangs are. I've had really good luck with used Mustangs over the years.

i'm in Europe and here you can get a Type-R for 5000 euro less than an entry level GT add bit's and peaces to the the GT and we are talking over 15 000 euro difference brand new.
I could see in Europe a smaller FWD car might make more sense. I would pick a FiST or a FoRS over a Type R, though.
Sponsored