Sponsored

17 EB vs 18 EB

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Id also go for the cheaper one, only time will tell how that 10 speed holds up, first model year with it an all. I will say if you are using it as a daily the premium is quite nice,m. Im not sure how bad traffic is in Cincinatti but the nice sound system and heated/ventilated seats are a really nice option. The only thing the 17 did not have was a heated steering wheel but I swapped to an alcantara wheel which has made it a bit more tolerable in the single digit weather.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you driven either of them?

The 2018 (or a 19) with the Perf Pack and 10R80 is a very solid performer. You won’t want an S550 with the 6R80 after driving a 10R80... and that’s coming from an owner of a 2018 EB Premium w/Perf Pack and 10R80, after owning the same exact optioned drivetrain but a 6R80 in my prior 2016...

Others can agree, you’re going to get more bang for the buck with a 2018/19 over a prior 2015-2017 equipped similarly... Don’t look at it from the perspective as to what is “cheaper”, but what you’re getting in the overall package.

Also, don’t read into any online comments or threads about “10R80 problems”... the S550 10R80 has only had (2) major issues to date (valve body or one way clutch cluster failure for the 2-3 shift), which seems to have affected *some* early Built 2018’s. Even with knowing that, there have been very few reported instances of those exact failures on this site by actual owners. The trans is also an adaptive learning trans and most new owners or non-car enthusiasts do not understand that terminology or how a mechanical device with software is programmed... so honestly, don’t think of 10R80 issues as being any type of show stopper....

The 10R80 is a very stout trans in stock form and the GT owners have been beating the crap out of them at the track, running 11’s... it’s designed very well.

If you have not driven a 6R80 or a 10R80 equipped S550, do it back to back on same day and you will be surprised at the major difference between the two transmissions.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Get a used GT.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
OP - Is it the operating cost(fuel, maintenance, INSURANCE, etc.) or the car price that is putting a GT out of your reach? Can't very well give you any advice without knowing the source of the cost issue. Otherwise do what many business people have done in your position. Obtain a coin. Heads is the 18 and tails is the 17. Flip the coin and before it hits the ground you will find yourself hoping for one over the other. Whether that side does or not, that is the decision you go with....the one you were hoping to see.

Have fun.

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
anybody who says the 10 speed may not hold up to an Eco boost is talking out of their ass. look how well they are doing in boosted GT applications. I've had a couple GT's with the 6R80 and now a GT with 10 speed and there is a night and day difference between the two.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I liked my 6R80 just fine. it was the computer that made it seem sluggish. seemed like a downshift took forever to happen. a tune fixes all that

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Financially, at this time, the GT doesn't make much sense. Going forward, after watching reviews and doing research, I am okay with this. I stumbled on a dealer with two different EBs and it's VERY tough deciding between the two. I'd love to hear from you guys and nail down which.

18 EB Shadow Black (32K MSRP)
Performance Pack
201A Package
10 Speed Auto
Nav

17 Oxford White (36K MSRP)
Performance Pack
Premium Package
Shaker Audio
6 Speed Automatic

The downside to both is my dislike for the automatic. Reviews for it haven't helped either. They're taking 10K off the 17 off bat and 5.5K for the 18. I also prefer black.

It's definitely a toss up for me at this point.
The 18 is a model year newer, has 350 lb-ft of torque, and is a color you prefer. Price is $26.5K after discount?
The 17 is a model year older, has 320 lb-ft of torque, and is not your preferred color. Price is $26K after discount?

If I've got the discounts right, I'd be taking the '18 all day, every day, no questions asked. If you do have a question, go drive both in Sport mode, THEN go home with the black one. I like the Shaker my car came with, but it's not an option I would have ordered given the opportunity.

Full disclosure, I've got a 2018 201A EBPP A10 and it's fantastic. Mileage is meh if you're messing around at all, but that's really my only complaint.
Sponsored