18 vs type r?

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Anyone ever race a new civic type r? Results? Stock vs stock?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
What type of race? I drag raced one last friday. I ran a 10.4 to his 13.8. I would expect it to do quite a bit better on a road course. Wrong wheel drive is probably the worse racing set up there is. So pretty impressive they run as good as they do.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
Drag and a 20 roll I suppose. I thought maybe the type R would win based on it being like a 3000lb car. There’s nothing on YouTube that I know of.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
I mean I know weight isn’t everything. I’d like to see some YouTube videos of it though

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The Honda is 1 second slower to 60 mph compared to an auto mustang! Roll race would make things worse for the Honda. Manual vs Manual, GT still has the upper hand. Road coarse again, GT with PP or PP2 can run alot faster times than the R. They are on different levels of performance!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I just ran 11.92 on a bone stock 18 on 255 tires. I'd say that Honda will be 15 cars back.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The OP has an ecoboost, not a GT. Considering the Type R is factory rated for 13.5's the Type R would blow an ecoboost into next week.

A GT on the other hand would do the same thing to a Type R, at least in a straight line.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The OP has an ecoboost, not a GT. Considering the Type R is factory rated for 13.5's the Type R would blow an ecoboost into next week.

A GT on the other hand would do the same thing to a Type R, at least in a straight line.
I missed that. He'd need at least a tune to keep up with the R then.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)

Doubt that. At least in a drag race. The EB will jump out while the honda is sitting there spinning their wheels. In a roll where power to weight matters more. The civic would probably pull away.

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Doubt that. At least in a drag race. The EB will jump out while the honda is sitting there spinning their wheels. In a roll where power to weight matters more. The civic would probably pull away.

isn't the ecoboost still like a low 14 second car? I don't know with the new 10 speed but I know the old 6spd auto EB's were slower than 11-14 v6 cars. The civic type R is like a 13.5 sec 1/4 mile car. The only way it'd lose in the real world is traction problems or a bad driver.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
isn't the ecoboost still like a low 14 second car? I don't know with the new 10 speed but I know the old 6spd auto EB's were slower than 11-14 v6 cars. The civic type R is like a 13.5 sec 1/4 mile car. The only way it'd lose in the real world is traction problems or a bad driver.
AFAIK the EB Mustang runs a 13.9 1/4 mile vs. the type R 13.5, so they are pretty close.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Im going to make two assumptions. First one. Those are magazine times your quoting? And second. You've drag raced both front and rear wheel drive cars? You might get a 1.7 sixty in a rear drive car on street tires. If your good. You might get a 1.9 sixty foot in a front wheel drive car. On street tires. If your lucky. Talking real world. In drag racing. Rear drive cars transfer. Weight to the back of the vehicle. Pushind down on the drive tires, Increasing traction. Where as the weight being transfered to the back of the car. When a front wheel driver launches. Is actually causing a loss of traction. Because yout unloading the drive tires. Im not insulting you. If it seams that way. I had a 400whp srt-4. On Full slicks. It would run high 11s low 12s. My tuned GT also put down about 400whp. The GT was 1000 pounds heavier than the srt-4. But it could run mid 11s on drag radials. Same driver. Same power level. The SRT-4 had a huge weight advantage. But the rear drive car was 2-3 tenths faster. Front wheel drive cars are traction problems personified. And on top of that. Wheel hop is so intense in a front drive car. Axles snap on stock power levels. Go to the drag strip. And count the number of hondas that break. Then count all rear drive cars that break. That number will be easily 5 to 1. Thats why all the ricer honda guys want a roll race. A guy with an automatic EB. Will have a huge advantage over a stick shift/front wheel drive civic at the drag strip.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Local guys were out tonight at the strip and the Type R got left behind. 17 with tune, catback exhaust, CAI, and cat deletes beat him by 1.5 seconds in the quarter mile. We're definitely not in boost weather here in South Florida though so can give him a little benefit of the doubt for now.

OP
OP
Kaw8787

Kaw8787

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
18 ecoboost mustang
My bad should have mentioned I was in a manual PP on all seasons. I’m under the assumption my stage 1 Cobb 18 would lose in a drag and maybe win in a roll. If I was on pilot super sport 3’s or some version is pilot super sports I’d have better chances. Prettt sure the type R comes with summer tires. I suppose it could be a drivers race in both situations. I’d say they are comparable cars and a fair line up. From what I’ve seen the type R and what Honda has done managing the torque steer and wheel hop is pretty well managed.
Sponsored