18+ PP1 Tire wear/alignment issues

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I understand this is probably a long shot but I'm curious about how many of you have been successful in getting tires cover under warranty due to alignment issues. A little back story here, last weekend I was changing the oil on my mustang and I noticed the driver front tire has extreme wear on the inside edge only and slight cupping on that same edge, I mean in one spot the cord is showing. Now the rest of the tire is fine and the passenger front is starting to do the same but is not as severe. I have 21,000 miles on it and there is no suspension modifications on the front, only suspension related mods are on the rear in the form of Steeda stop the hop kit. Never been to the track, or been driven under conditions that could warrant tire wear like this, best guess I have is there is too much toe out causing the inner edges to scrub. When I took my car to the dealer for the transmission issue and for them to check the engine tick at around 13,000 miles my paperwork say they did their multi-point inspection which checks the tires and suspension and the rest of the car and everything checked out as normal. Now I checked Michelins website and they say the PS4s have a 30,000 mile limited warranty, I could understand if I was at 30,000 miles or more but I have plenty of tread left on on all 4 tires, see attached pictures. What do you guys think?
IMG_2259.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg
IMG_2253.jpg
IMG_2252.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you checked to see if the wheel bearings are ok at all 4 corners?

The S550 is known to have premature wheel bearings failures; some M6G members have had failures below 5k-10k, not even making it to 30k or even multiple failures on the same side hub.

Jack the car up and check each wheel by grasping it at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions and shake it - if it wobbles = bad hub bearing which can result in premature tire wear/tear.

Incorrect tire pressure will also affect wear/tear. The S550 should have 32 or 33psi when stone cold (check your VCL label on driver door jamb). Those psi readings will rise when the tire warms up, to about 35-36 respectively.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I have not checked the wheel bearings but I will tonight after work, tire pressures run between 30-32 cold, I check at least once a week via the cluster reading

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
The 30k mile life expectancy of the PS4's is if you can rotate all four corners side to side/front to back. Sense you cant do that with a staggered setup that the PP1 has that will cut the life of the tire by 50%, providing you rotate side to side. That means you got more then expected life out of the tires. Oh, I got 12k out of mine when I replaced them. The rears were pretty even with wear band just starting to show only a slight more wear on the inside. The fronts were bald on the inside of the tire with wear bands just starting to show.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Does your car have mysteriously more miles on it than it should? /joke

Check your tire pressure using an old-fashioned gauge too just to be sure.
This looks like an alignment problem to me. you're barely used the main tread and you're showing extensive squirm on the inner edge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
The 30k mile life expectancy of the PS4's is if you can rotate all four corners side to side/front to back. Sense you cant do that with a staggered setup that the PP1 has that will cut the life of the tire by 50%, providing you rotate side to side. That means you got more then expected life out of the tires. Oh, I got 12k out of mine when I replaced them. The rears were pretty even with wear band just starting to show only a slight more wear on the inside. The fronts were bald on the inside of the tire with wear bands just starting to show.
The rears have almost the same amount of tread, no cupping and even wear across the whole tire

Does your car have mysteriously more miles on it than it should? /joke

Check your tire pressure using an old-fashioned gauge too just to be sure.
This looks like an alignment problem to me. you're barely used the main tread and you're showing extensive squirm on the inner edge.
No only 21,467 miles as of this morning on my drive in to work, I checked my pressure with my tire gauge on all four corners yesterday when I put it up on the jack to check the front bearings, no play in either side and all 4 were between 32-34 psi after my drive home only 10 miles on side streets speeds under 50mph.

going to run by the tire shop at lunch to get tread depth readings on all 4 tires

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll find your toe is wildly off.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Yea that's what I'm thinking, I'm waiting for the dealer to call me back

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Had same issue with my 18, PP1... inside of both front tires down to cord on inside shoulders. Only got 16k miles out of original set but did have a track day on them. Bought some Steeda camber plates and aligned to my specs... 6k miles later and all looks good so far.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Had same issue with my 18, PP1... inside of both front tires down to cord on inside shoulders. Only got 16k miles out of original set but did have a track day on them. Bought some Steeda camber plates and aligned to my specs... 6k miles later and all looks good so far.
was your toe off or just camber? mine is wearing only on the drivers side, the passenger side is worn but not as bad

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
was your toe off or just camber? mine is wearing only on the drivers side, the passenger side is worn but not as bad
Toe being out was what caused the inside shoulder wear...I added the camber plates to allow a little more negative setup than factory specs for the convertible. Installed camber plates and new tires at same time so only one alignment needed.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm going back and for with the dealer and it looks like I'm going to be out of luck, they said alignments are covered only in the first year or 12k miles but they were going to see what they could do. We shall wait and see

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Well I'm going back and for with the dealer and it looks like I'm going to be out of luck, they said alignments are covered only in the first year or 12k miles but they were going to see what they could do. We shall wait and see
I know things are expensive on the left coast but a wheel alignment, even from a dealer should only be $80.

My front's were seeing too much wear on the inner shoulder,, Like the others posted, camber plates and a four wheel alignment fixed it..

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'm not worried about the alignment, I'd just hate to cough up $700 for two front tires when they have plenty of tread left

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I'm not worried about the alignment, I'd just hate to cough up $700 for two front tires when they have plenty of tread left

Those shoulders are toast.. When Cords are showing .. Replace them.
Sponsored