Sponsored

150ft pound torque lug nuts a pain to break

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
It was correct since anti-seize will reduce friction on the thread - no doubt about it, but it's way too insignificant to come up with "OMG, you will overtorque the bolt and die"will also prevent from it being damaged. Note how large the conical seating area of the nut is and the friction that it generates during assembly of the joint.
Not exactly...during the rundown of the nut the friction difference is insignificant, but once you're down on metal to metal, the forces between the threads is what creates the bolt stretch and the friction required for the same stretch absolutely is reduced a significant amount with anti seize or other lubricatant. You should be lowering your torque to 110-120 for lubricated threads.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It was correct since anti-seize will reduce friction on the thread - no doubt about it, but it's way too insignificant to come up with "OMG, you will overtorque the bolt and die"will also prevent from it being damaged. Note how large the conical seating area of the nut is and the friction that it generates during assembly of the joint.
I never said OMG you're going to die. I said you risk damaging the studs/ lug nuts. Those things are a real PITA to replace.
In my opinion, applying anti seize is an unnecessary risk when simply following industry recommend guidelines negates the need.
Your opinion obviously is different and you're entitled to it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Solution proposed...

Since you are able to afford a $50k car at age 16, you have no trouble taking your car to a shop to get all the work done. Sell your air tools and compressor now! You don't need them. Might as well put a blower on it since the cashflow is unlimited. Whoops, do I sound bitter? :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
The bullitt is my dads car I posted the question on his account. Thanks for all the kind words though

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I torqued them to 150 as it says to but now it’s so hard to get them off. My impact gun can’t even break them I had to stand on the ratchet and use my weight to get it to loosen the lug nut. Are there any tricks to loosening them.
If you don't have a breaker bar or a cordless impact gun, use a piece of pipe on your ratchet to get leverage.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Better impact gun.

If you don't have an expensive and large compressor at home it probably cant put out enough CFMs to run the gun. Get an electric impact. My Dewalt XR has around 1200 ft/lbs. No lug stands a chance lol.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Easy peezy:
Put a 3 foot cheater bar w socket on it and then put a monster hose clamp round the bar and a spoke of the wheel so the cheater cant come off.
Put car in reverse and floor it.
This is how the lug nuts are designed to be removed when stuck per Ford OEM repair manuals.

Make sure and take video and post it to YouTube!:like:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Must be nice to own a $50,000 car at 16 years old.

Get a 24" breaker bar and it will be easy as pie.
Don't hate on the kid cause of age and what he owns. For all you know he started making YouTube and toy unboxing videos and has been a millionaire since age 10.

Even if his mom and dad bought it for him, again who cares. Worrying about what others had and you didn't or chirping them for having money / nice car /whatever at a young age is lame.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
pro tip: should be using a impact gun to remove or tighten lug nuts.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Reactions: boB