10R80 is no PDK

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I don't know but here's another article from Ford.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../18/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Has-Touched-Down.html

"Mustang Mach 1 customers have a choice of high-strength, high-precision transmissions designed to comfortably manage high-rpm gear-shifts. Offered for the first time in Europe on a production Mustang, the TREMEC six-speed manual gearbox features a robust twin-disc clutch and short-throw shifter, while aggressive upshifts and downshifts are made smoother, more precise and easier to perform with rev-matching technology and flat shift capability. Also available is Ford’s advanced 10-speed automatic gearbox, featuring an upgraded torque converter and unique calibration.

Both transmissions benefit from a dedicated oil cooler, rear axle cooling system and limited slip differential for consistently optimised transfer of torque to the road. The 10-speed automatic also features a second air-to-oil cooler – increasing cooling capacity by a further 75 per cent."
While it says "featuring an upgraded torque converter" it doesn't say compared to what. It could be an upgraded converter from an EcoBoost, not the GT, though the calibration could very well be different from the GT.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I have both a new 5.0 convertible with the 10 speed and a Two year Tesla model 3 performance. The instantaneous response and torque in the Tesla is absolutely addictive. Driving the Mustang after it is like driving a pulpwood truck. However I love a convertible on nice weather days so I have both, but damn the Tesla is so quick. I can't wait for the next generation electric Mustang Convertible. Plus now Fords can use the supercharger network.T
Comparing an ICE powered vehicle to a Tesla is like comparing a slot car with the Cox-engine cars back in the day (long ago). Electric has max torque from zero to max rpm and it's flat across the board whereas ICE isn't. May as well compare steam powered to ICE; that's about the kind of comparison that's being done here. If you like the Tesla better, great. Just have fun going cross country and having to stop for 40 minutes to fast charge it to 80% capacity as you can't go to 100% without damaging the battery, while I'll stick to my GT and be on my way in 5 minutes after refueling. No, each has it's advantages/disadvantages depending upon your usage. Can you imagine a company switching all their F-150 construction fleet to Lightnings? They'd go broke paying their guys to sit for 40 minutes recharging the truck every couple hundred miles. Add a load to the truck and it's down to 100 miles. How about an EV semi-truck pulling double trailers? I seriously doubt it could go anywhere near as far as current diesel turbo rigs. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into an ICE vs. EV argument because there really isn't one. Biden wants everything "fossil fuel" eliminated but until I see an EV commercial passenger aircraft capable of flying for 3,000 miles non-stop at the same speed/time as current aircraft, I'm sticking to fossil fuels; though hybrids are attractive as fuel prices increase. Hybrids give you the best of both worlds; short refuel stops with greater ranges.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The PDK is no 10R80

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The 10R80 may be strong, but it is nowhere near as user friendly as a PDK. The PDK shifted in milliseconds, the 10R80 takes centuries to follow my command.

I tell the 10R80 to downshift, wait a second, tap down, wait a second, tap down, wait then B-A-N-G it shifts three at once feels like I hit a tree.

Ford's manual transmission has problems and their automatic also has problems. The ZF (6 speed manual) in my 335Xi is fun and willing to play. The PDK is a joy.

Why can't Ford and GM make a fun transmission?
$$$$$$$$$$

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I still like my Tremec better than my Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored