Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
is there any merit to tossing all the vac boost and going linear? Of course the pedal/caliper ratio will need a massive change because otherwise as we know modern car brakes are basically completely worthless without the booster even if you're trying to break the seat by bracing against it.
That's actually where I'm going and the preferred install method. Tilton pedal box has dual master cylinders (one for front brakes and one for rears) that go straight into ABS unit and that sends it out to the 4 calipers.

This car won't use vacuum for anything - even though the dry sump will pull a crap ton of it. Figures. I finally fix my vacuum issues only to no longer need them ha. Not complaining, though. Bosch ABS has always been a bucket list item for me

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The full AP kit came in while I was on a work trip last week. So pumped about this kit. Total weight savings is about 45lbs of unsprung mass

IMG_1092.jpeg

Stock calipers/pads (add 30lbs for stock rotors) - 44.7lbs
IMG_1085.jpeg

AP kit is 32.2lbs - so 12.5lbs per front corner
IMG_1083.jpeg

Rear stock setup is 27 lbs (when you add 20lbs for stock rotor). I estimate about 3lbs for parking brake stuff based on previous weigh-ins
IMG_1084.jpeg

AP kit is 20.4. So 6.6lbs + 3ish lbs makes it a 10ish lbs difference in rear
IMG_1091.jpeg

And these weights are for the monster 25mm endurance pad/caliper setup. Super pumped
IMG_1077.jpeg

I purchased through Anthony at Drive Faster Now. He'll get you the best price, help make sure the setup is optimized for your car (we ordered some different parts since I am using the Bosch abs) and treat you great. Highly recommend

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Is there parking brake capability with the new brakes? I'm not seeing anything. "No" would be not surprising for a track-only car, but make the kit a no-go for street use.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Is there parking brake capability with the new brakes? I'm not seeing anything. "No" would be not surprising for a track-only car, but make the kit a no-go for street use.
I expect @honeybadger will use that torch of his to make a hole in the floor in front of the driver's seat. That way, he can go full Fred Flintstone when he wants the car to stay still.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
There is a parking brake option from AP https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racin...r-cp9450365mm-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350gt350r

Not sure it's worth the investment, though. The stock brakes are pretty good in the rear and consumables are relatively low. And given the front bias of a mustang, not sure you'll see much performance gain. I know plenty of folks go front only.

Does that AP front caliper let you run a 18 inch wheel?
Yep. That's the strongest justification for the change - though AJ Hartman is working on a solution to shave the OEM knuckle and use the stock calipers with different pads and rotors.

These calipers should offer some extra performance over the OEM ones - specifically around managing heat. And I'm told the Bosch ABS will be able to extract a bit more out of them.

I expect @honeybadger will use that torch of his to make a hole in the floor in front of the driver's seat. That way, he can go full Fred Flintstone when he wants the car to stay still.
Ha. Funny you should mention that - I have some holes in the floor I need to fill haha

IMG_1095.JPG

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yep. That's the strongest justification for the change - though AJ Hartman is working on a solution to shave the OEM knuckle and use the stock calipers with different pads and rotors.
Did I miss his discussion of this over on TMO??? I would be very interested.

Though the 45 lb weight loss is no joke.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just curious if you considered the Ford racing 5.2 camshafts (as in the 5.2 Alluminator)as an option ?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just curious if you considered the Ford racing 5.2 camshafts (as in the 5.2 Alluminator)as an option ?
I did. But they’re basically the same cost and these are a higher quality part with more HP, but still very friendly to the VCT system. Felt like a no brainer.

whatisgrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If you were moving down to 18" what setup would you be going with? I've also considered the AP kit but haven't found many street tire options in that size from 305-325.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you were moving down to 18" what setup would you be going with? I've also considered the AP kit but haven't found many street tire options in that size from 305-325.
I don’t think I’d go through the conversion for street tires. I’d only do it for the cheap slicks. You can find take off slicks in 19s, but they’re rare. 18s are what pretty much everyone runs in the professional series like IMSA, GT World challenge, etc, so they’re always available.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I don’t think I’d go through the conversion for street tires. I’d only do it for the cheap slicks. You can find take off slicks in 19s, but they’re rare. 18s are what pretty much everyone runs in the professional series like IMSA, GT World challenge, etc, so they’re always available.
That’s the route I’ll be going. Have you already thought through which slicks/compounds you expect to like the most? Spring rates with slicks?