Sponsored

PP2 Cooling Upgrades? Per criticism…

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Tell me about engine coooling…
To be fair, I have a supercharger and my cooling needs are much more pronounced.

Unless you go in 100+ degree heat and beat the living crap out of the car, you don't need to worry about cooling at least for first few events. PP2 is more than capable in stock form for beginner to intermediate levels. Shift at or below 6500 RPM and keep an eye on CHT. You can always do a cooldown lap if need be.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I did Redline and the exhaust wrap - plus a high powered electric blower between HPDE sessions cooling off the diff, and I've had no diff overheating problems.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
I’ve run mine on the track in 100 degree temps and have never had any overheating issues. I upgraded my trans and diff fluid and triple wrapped the exhaust around the diff, which dropped the diff temp about 10 to 15 degrees.
Have a PP1 and upgrading to PP2+ (wheels, tires, sway bars, and springs w/o magnaride). Keeping her N/A for backroads and road courses. I'll try this advice first. Also have been told by a performance tech that the aluminum rear diff offered from Ford Performance and upgraded fluid does the trick unless you are a serious all day track guy in hot weather.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
For country roads and mountain driving I really don't think you need to upgrade the diff cover. Just wrap the exhaust pipes that go around the diff with header wrap.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
For country roads and mountain driving I really don't think you need to upgrade the diff cover. Just wrap the exhaust pipes that go around the diff with header wrap.
Thanks. How do you like the handling of the Shelby rims/ staggered set up? I have the PP1 rims and a set of the Nickle Painted Forged Aluminum that Ford offered (19x9.5 and 19x9). Would like to perform above PP2 level on occasional track/ road course days. Like the look of those shelbys.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Would like to perform above PP2 level on occasional track/ road course days.
Then don't go staggered. Get some 19x11 wheels front and rear with 305 wide tires.
Staggered wheels/tires on a Mustang are for drag racers and people chasing 70's nostalgia.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Then don't go staggered. Get some 19x11 wheels front and rear with 305 wide tires.
Staggered wheels/tires on a Mustang are for drag racers and people chasing 70's nostalgia.
Yeah, was thinking that too. Having never tracked either road or drag. Just carving up backroads. Guess I'll run 305s summers on all 4 corners for aggressive road course/ track days. Current set up for backroads and cooler weather. Sticky drag rears if I drag- with the 9s (255s) up front? A 90/ 10 kind of all season set up... idk.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, was thinking that too. Having never tracked either road or drag. Just carving up backroads. Guess I'll run 305s summers on all 4 corners for aggressive road course/ track days. Current set up for backroads and cooler weather. Sticky drag rears if I drag- with the 9s (255s) up front? A 90/ 10 kind of all season set up... idk.
If you want a fun backroads type of car that sees mostly street use and maybe some track use, I would actually suggest a set of 19x10 wheels with 285 tires. No spacers or added camber required. 305's on a street car is pretty overkill.

If you do indeed want PP2 performance, then 19x11 w/ 305 tires is the only option.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
If you want a fun backroads type of car that sees mostly street use and maybe some track use, I would actually suggest a set of 19x10 wheels with 285 tires. No spacers or added camber required. 305's on a street car is pretty overkill.

If you do indeed want PP2 performance, then 19x11 w/ 305 tires is the only option.
Thanks. I'm having the Ford Performance Track Pack suspension installed next week because my car is a PP1 w/o magnaride. I'll run the current 285/255 set up you suggested to see if I need the 11/305s. I'll get the Steeda brace to address street tramlining.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'm having the Ford Performance Track Pack suspension installed next week because my car is a PP1 w/o magnaride. I'll run the current 285/255 set up you suggested to see if I need the 11/305s. I'll get the Steeda brace to address street tramlining.
I did not suggest 255/285 stagger but if that's what you currently have, I do support trying that first and see if it satisfies your needs before spending more money.

That suspension is great. You'll enjoy it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck

"If you do indeed want PP2 performance"...I've seen the videos and read a bit. Please, how do you describe this nuance?

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
I did not suggest 255/285 stagger but if that's what you currently have, I do support trying that first and see if it satisfies your needs before spending more money.

That suspension is great. You'll enjoy it.
Great. Run what I have and then 19X10 285 all around instead of PP2 set up if I'm primarily on the backroads. Thanks.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"If you do indeed want PP2 performance"...I've seen the videos and read a bit. Please, how do you describe this nuance?
A PP2 is just a PP1 with 305 wide Cup 2 tires. So add some 19x11 wheels front and rear and a set of 305 wide sticky tires and you have yourself a PP2.

(there are cosmetic differences but performance-wise, that's irrelevant. The PP2 has slightly different suspension tuning but it's so marginal, it might as well be irrelevant. The wheels/tires make 99% of the improvement.)

If you want to take it a step further, get some camber plates and a proper track alignment and you'll easily out-perform factory PP2 cars.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
A PP2 is just a PP1 with 305 wide Cup 2 tires. So add some 19x11 wheels front and rear and a set of 305 wide sticky tires and you have yourself a PP2.

(there are cosmetic differences but performance-wise, that's irrelevant. The PP2 has slightly different suspension tuning but it's so marginal, it might as well be irrelevant. The wheels/tires make 99% of the improvement.)

If you want to take it a step further, get some camber plates and a proper track alignment and you'll easily out-perform factory PP2 cars.
So the Magneride and different sway bars aren't big contributors to the PP2 handling improvements?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the Magneride and different sway bars aren't big contributors to the PP2 handling improvements?
Not really, no.
The suspension is still very soft whether PP1 or PP2. Most people upgrade to aftermarket regardless.
Magenride can be had on the PP1 so technically not a unique upgrade for the PP2. Granted, it has unique magenride tuning but again, it's marginal.

Magneride is really to have the best of both worlds: comfort and performance, but any set of proper track coilovers will easily outperform magneride.
Sponsored