Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Last note. The "viscosity oil myth".
"I put thicker oil and life problems went away"....is sometime over estimate.

A thicker oil does not reduce temps
What it does it allows you to sustain higher temps without loosing the lubrication effect of the oil.
A thicker oil helps the engine to work at 280f without issue. Same with diff.
But a thicker oil also increases temps. Yes it does.
And last. Your diff is depending on oil viscosity. Changing it might modify the way it works.

Screenshot_20230208-082608.png
Great and thanks. I'll run what the manual says to run for track days. Might just change the brand to redline. That's what I run in my Harley
To further what @luc said, the PP2 rear wheels would need a 1" spacer to fit on the front.
Equally, the PP2 front wheels would stick out about an inch if mounted on the rear.
If you want a fun backroads type of car that sees mostly street use and maybe some track use, I would actually suggest a set of 19x10 wheels with 285 tires. No spacers or added camber required. 305's on a street car is pretty overkill.

If you do indeed want PP2 performance, then 19x11 w/ 305 tires is the only option.
I ended up going with your suggestion and ordered 10 and 285s SVE X500 square set up. I really can't imagine the grip/ skid will be much different (at my level) than 305s. I get 1G+ on current stock setup. I can always go 11/305 in the rear if for some reason the square set up doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
My original idea was to go with the SVE2 wheels in 19x10 and a all season tire with 285 width all around for the colder months. I would keep the original PP2 wheels and a summer tire for the warmer months.
Now I'm not so sure about the 10 inch wheels in a square setup.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
My original idea was to go with the SVE2 wheels in 19x10 and a all season tire with 285 width all around for the colder months. I would keep the original PP2 wheels and a summer tire for the warmer months.
Now I'm not so sure about the 10 inch wheels in a square setup.
Just to add more confusion to your decision making process, you will save a ton of rotating mass by moving from stock wheels to SVE or any other flow formed option.

I'm also cheap as hell, so I'm a proponent of skipping half-measure solutions and just paying once. If you know that you will be tracking the car regularly, you will end up with a set of square 11 wheels anyways. It just makes most sense for performance per dollar and economically in long term. So why not do it from the start and avoid paying twice or trice.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Great and thanks. I'll run what the manual says to run for track days. Might just change the brand to redline. That's what I run in my Harley

I ended up going with your suggestion and ordered 10 and 285s SVE X500 square set up. I really can't imagine the grip/ skid will be much different (at my level) than 305s. I get 1G+ on current stock setup. I can always go 11/305 in the rear if for some reason the square set up doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the recommendation.
18x11. Is what you want ☺
305 or 315. Squared. And yes there is a LOT of difference .
As suggested to eric
Buy a better wheel 18x11 that clear the brakes. And save the money on smaller tires.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't going to put the front wheels on the rear. I was just thinking of getting a pair of the rear FP wheels for the front so I could get square wheel and tire setup. I'm a cheap bastard, and I'll have to keep looking.
I have a set of 19x11 in et24 and 50. Mrr used to make them. You'll see black ones on eBay. Though most of what you'll find is 19x10/11 sets.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Now I'm not so sure about the 10 inch wheels in a square setup
For track or street they'll be just fine unless an experienced track driver and you can't find the compound you want in that fitment

Once you're serious about track you'll have no problem buying $100 worth of extended studs and 20+mm spacers.

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Just to add more confusion to your decision making process, you will save a ton of rotating mass by moving from stock wheels to SVE or any other flow formed option.

I'm also cheap as hell, so I'm a proponent of skipping half-measure solutions and just paying once. If you know that you will be tracking the car regularly, you will end up with a set of square 11 wheels anyways. It just makes most sense for performance per dollar and economically in long term. So why not do it from the start and avoid paying twice or trice.
Don't think I'll track regularly. More time on the backroads. Maybe a track here or there down the road. If I run 11's square, I'd have to modify things a bit.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Don't think I'll track regularly. More time on the backroads. Maybe a track here or there down the road. If I run 11's square, I'd have to modify things a bit.
U need 3 things for the front
Camber plate
25mm longer studs
25mm spacers.
Not a lot. 🙂

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Buy a better wheel 18x11 that clear the brakes. And save the money on smaller tires.
Unless you're talking specifically about R compound tires, I have found that most 18" "streetable" tires are not that much if at all cheaper than their 19" counterparts. And there are a lot more options for such tires in the 19" wheel size.

Sponsored

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
Then I personally would pick 10" wheels as well.
Yeah, I like the FP PP2 Style Rim which is 10.5 front, 11.0 Rear and a 305 square. But, Can't rotate these. Lots of track professionals say they don't like that set up on the street because of tramlining, under steer, and can't rotate. I'll know more about the camber/ alignment and spacing once the install is complete on my FP Track Handling Kit. It has upgraded camber plates, so I'm assuming that between 285 and 305 there shouldn't be a problem?

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
I did Redline and the exhaust wrap - plus a high powered electric blower between HPDE sessions cooling off the diff, and I've had no diff overheating problems.
And it gets hot (a dry heat) out that way too...

Redmcguire

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 PP1
exhaust wrap isn't hard to install and I've got a few rolls on the shelf. I don't know where you are in VA @Redmcguire but 3 Pedals up in Sterling is my source.
Thank you. I'm over near Fairfax. I have a role on hand. It is nice of you to offer.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I did Redline and the exhaust wrap - plus a high powered electric blower between HPDE sessions cooling off the diff, and I've had no diff overheating problems.
Spray water while using a blower. U drop.60f deg in 10sec
Sponsored

Last edited: