tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
No oil level low limit switch on the side of your oil pan ?
Is that a PP1 thing only ?
Pretty sure that’s just oil temp although maybe I’m wrong
Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Are your cars forced induction? Even if they are seems like excessive oil consumption. My 2018 GT gets oil change every 3k miles. Have 18k miles and never used any oil. It is NA and that makes a difference. But even FI should not be using 3 4 qt in 5k miles.
Hope you find the damage to your engine does not cost a lot of $.
Ya seems very excessive I still believe it is leaking

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There are so many ways to get to 5k miles. 70 hours at 70mph or 5k 1/4 mile passes. My car is usually 2 qts low at 5k mile oil change. There is a reason Ford went with a bigger oil pan.

OP You can check the cam caps for damage and if they look good the cheapest option might be to pull the oil pan and think about just replacing the bearings. Might buy you some time until an upgrade is available.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
In normal driving yes that is pretty hot. Just cruising and light acceleration that car shouldn’t really go above 205. Even during AZ summer car never got that hot if I wasn’t flooring it. When I went 180 the car didn’t even hit 240
Just reiterating I was referencing an F150, and twin-turbo at that. For sure my Mustang hasn't seen over 205.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Are your cars forced induction? Even if they are seems like excessive oil consumption. My 2018 GT gets oil change every 3k miles. Have 18k miles and never used any oil. It is NA and that makes a difference. But even FI should not be using 3 4 qt in 5k miles.
Hope you find the damage to your engine does not cost a lot of $.
Some burn oil bad and some don't. I change my oil every 4k and usually check it once in between changes if I remember too. I used to pay more attention but mine doesn't burn enough to show a difference on the dipstick so I've gotten lazy on that.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
These cars were never designed to go 170+ for extended periods.
You'd be surprised. As long as you keep them cool, they should last a long time. With the 225 CHT the OP saw, it wasn't overheated...so it was just a luck of the draw or poor assembly. Seeing as how it was a hand re-built engine, I'd venture to say it was the later.

Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine/

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
GDI fuel oil dilution
&
Extended oil drain interval
Intervals stayed the same. Oil dilution is certainly a consideration but is more of a longer term issue.

My car burns 2 quarts every 5k miles. If I changed the oil every 10k I would be risking cavitation on a 8 qt system. 10 qt is cheap insurance for a warranty provider especially on an engine with such a high redline.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The way I drive my motor uses about a quart per 1k miles, I would have blown this many times if I did not check then add oil. But I have 60k miles on this motor and its running as good as ever and at 800 rwhp since I keep it topped off.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
The way I drive my motor uses about a quart per 1k miles, I would have blown this many times if I did not check then add oil. But I have 60k miles on this motor and its running as good as ever and at 800 rwhp since I keep it topped off.
Awesome, how many miles has it been whippled for?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I really wish every ICE car had a reliable oil level indicator, some luxury cars have it but I hear its not as reliable. Would be nice for some one to create an aftermarket for that.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Intervals stayed the same. Oil dilution is certainly a consideration but is more of a longer term issue.
Exactly,
Gen3 Interval stayed the same due to the additional 2 quarts.
If the Gen3 remained at 8 quarts there would’ve been an OCI reduction for the GDI Gen3 5.0.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I guess it’s possible this new engine was just burning crazy amounts of oil. Doesn’t explain the oil on the steering rack. Still feel like 4 quarts in 5k street miles is insane.
Sponsored