Sponsored

Knock Knock. Who’s there? Rod.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Lund. 167 (cars been 180 and should have hit 170+ easily). E85. Cylinder head temps just hit 225 when I let off
I'm telling you, high speed long runs on a stock(ish) shortblock is asking for trouble. These cars were never designed to go 170+ for extended periods.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Looked like it was actually the coolant lines I added at the back of the head but they stopped leaking.
MMR Head Cooling Mod? I just installed one of these on mine. Hoping I’m leak-free.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I'm telling you, high speed long runs on a stock(ish) shortblock is asking for trouble. These cars were never designed to go 170+ for extended periods.
Car has upgraded timing components, upgraded cooling, upgraded oiling, upgraded springs, and everything was pretty much new. Engine probably didn’t fail from the run and more likely something happened where it lost a lot of oil and at high rpm it starved. Dip stick shows no oil so car is either completely empty of oil or pretty low.

Will get under the car in a few hours and confirm why it lost oil.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
MMR Head Cooling Mod? I just installed one of these on mine. Hoping I’m leak-free.
Ya, I got the AN fittings and it was leaking around the fitting threadings. Don’t know why I tightened them pretty good, but it stopped after a little bit. Could have also been cause by the cooling system overheating as the coolant tank was cracked a little and probably causing cooling issues before it completely failed.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ya, I got the AN fittings and it was leaking around the fitting threadings. Don’t know why I tightened them pretty good, but it stopped after a little bit. Could have also been cause by the cooling system overheating as the coolant tank was cracked a little and probably causing cooling issues before it completely failed.
I know your problem is much bigger than the coolant mod, but I’m just curious whether you used Teflon tape on the NPT portion of -AN fittings?

I used Teflon tape on mine and RTV sealant around the aluminum pieces that press into the heads, but I’m still nervous about whether I’ll have a leak-free seal. I hate leaks.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I know you're a college kid. I really think the best advice is to just try and keep the car if you can. Don't try and fix it. Get through college, get a decent job, then try and fix the car. Reading your posts, I think you've had had a fair amount of help from your family (which is great). Once you get a real job, you'll be in a better position.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I used Teflon tape on mine and RTV sealant around the aluminum pieces that press into the heads, but I’m still nervous about whether I’ll have a leak-free seal. I hate leaks.
Best stuff I’ve ever used in over 4 decades of winding up stubborn hard to seal threads. It’s magic on Stainless threaded steam piping.
4800ECBE-DF94-4778-86EA-1344A638977D.png

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I know your problem is much bigger than the coolant mod, but I’m just curious whether you used Teflon tape on the NPT portion of -AN fittings?

Didn’t use any Teflon tape but I did add rtv sealant around the metal that meets the block.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Got under the car and don’t see anything at first glance except some oil on the passenger side and a ton of coolant. Looks like the coolant leak may have happened again. Coolant leak doesn’t explain the dry dip stick tho. Also there is still coolant in the reservoir all be it low.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just to make sure, you could add one quart of oil and see if it registers on the dipstick, or drain it to see how much was in the pan. It’s possible that the engine could have just been burning oil during the 5500 miles you put on there and gone unnoticed until now.

If the coolant leak is all you have going on, you might be in good shape, although to fix the Head Cooling Mod leak will require dropping the tranny to access everything properly.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Even if you messed up its not the end of the world, just a more expensive learning lesson than usual lol

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Car was about 3-4 quarts of oil down going off the dipstick. Looks like oil all on the steering rack but couldn’t find a leak. Car fired right up but still knocking. Don’t see it really leaking from anywhere

Here is a video don’t know how well the sound gets picked up:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Car was about 3-4 quarts of oil down going off the dipstick. Looks like oil all on the steering rack but couldn’t find a leak. Car fired right up but still knocking. Don’t see it really leaking from anywhere

Here is a video don’t know how well the sound gets picked up:
Curious do you check your oil regularly every 1K miles specially when new? Sounds like oil has been low for a while, how often within the 5K Miles did you check your oil level?
Sponsored