tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Update:
Got the engine installed and running. Fuel trims look fine on my end so I have been running the car. Struggling with getting the coolant system to bleed the air but it's getting better. The engine seems healthy. I am going for the hard break-in route as I don't know if Ford breaks in the short blocks. Doing lots of wot pulls and hard load to hopefully help the rings seat better.

Having confusion about the gen3 oil pan and pickup tube, not sure if my gen2 pickup tube is reading accurately. I just threw 10 quarts in. Trying not to rev high for super long incase for some reason its not enough oil to prevent oil starvation. Also waiting to hear back from Lund on if I will need a tune revision (Fuel trims look decent).

I want to do a compression test after my break-in to compare to my old shortblock. Hopefully, this one will have much better compression and not burn any oil!

I previously had the bmr engine mounts and have now picked up the engine mount brackets. Got the engine super low. Hopefully, this will give me clearance for my upcoming custom-ported boss manifold. (Also lower center of gravity so better handling!)

I wish I could give you guys an update on how my cam caps hold up, but its a really big pain to tear the motor apart just to check it. Maybe I will eventually but probably not any time soon.

The biggest takeaways are:
Get a good ring compressor, check oil every 1k miles with a new build, and don't spin bearings.

I think it is probably my fault either from engine break in or my hard time installing the pistons that caused poor ring seal and burning oil. I still think I torqued the apex head studs properly. I went with arp this time so I am hoping for no issues.