Relocating to snow country???

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
So the wife and I are fully retired now and moving from the Central Valley in California to Cheyenne, Wyoming. When? We don’t know yet, could be this spring, could be a couple years. We’ll probably have to build due to low inventory.
I know what we’re getting into as far as the winters go, we met in Ft Collins, Co almost 40 years ago.
I’ve never owned a sports car that sat in storage for 5 or so months a year. My thoughts are to sell the GT350 before we head out and enjoy it as much as I can beforehand.
I had lunch with a dear friend today that thought I was crazy to not keep the car. Putting it in storage is not a big deal he says. Just drive the hell out of it the other seven months he says.
Those of you that have moved from a 365 sports car season to putting your car in storage for a few months, I have questions.
How do you justify sitting on something like a GT350 and not enjoying it all year long?
It’s not a question of money for us, it’s just how we use our money.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wyoming winter can be pretty brutal. I only have a lowly GT, but I don't mind putting it away for winter here. I take it out a few times on mild days to keep all the fluids flowing. It's nice hopping back in come spring time and being reminded how much you love it.

With that said, if you want to drive it year round you can. Just buy some winter tires. These cars do fine as long as there isn't super deep snow or lots of hills on your commute.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I have 2 GT350's and they slumber all winter in a heated barn. I have been tempted to get some snow tires but I don't really trust myself.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I do the same as Gordon. I don’t get as much free time to enjoy my 350’s as I’d like. But there going any where. I will say the Conti’s I put on my regular 350 do very well when its cooler. No chance in hell I‘m driving either in anything more then a wet road though. 🥶

I have 2 GT350's and they slumber all winter in a heated barn. I have been tempted to get some snow tires but I don't really trust myself.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Unless you really really are put off by salt and stuff on your car, there's no reason why you can't drive it *some* during the winter months. Now I don't suggest you go on there in a blizzard even with snow tires, but you can get some high quality all seasons (like Conti DWS or Michelins) and enjoy the car responsibly on a nice clear winter day. The Voodoo will love the cool air temps for sure.

Is it really "snow country" up there, or you just comparing it to sunny California? I live in a city that has colder temps and gets more snow on average than Cheyenne noone thinks of this area anywhere remotely to "snow country". So you should be more than fine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I drove my 2012 GT in winter up north. I keep my GT350 in the garage during our Maryland "winters" but that really means I don't drive it for maybe a couple of months.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Average snow fall is only about 60”, not much at all. I spent 4 years in Ft Collins in the mid 80’s. The year before I moved there and the winter after I left that region got slammed. Pray for the best and expect the worse.
I guess I should have stated cold country, not snow country.
You guys that spend your lives in cold weather are completely used to this. The valleys in California just don’t get that cold. Rare if it dips below freezing here where your food is grown.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Hey Fred, my GT-350 brother. Give Trevor at Fat Fab a call when you relocate to that "Freedom" state and have those capable young craftsman "Turbo up" that beauty one winter. Then you will have something awesome & unique (Bad Ass) to look forward to in the Spring....... :wink:

I'm in Northwest Ohio, winter ain't that terrible. You appreciate a nice car a little more, anticipating the drive.....

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Mine is garaged Mid-November through mid-March, about four months. Insurance allows me to drop to minimal coverage during these months so there saving from this. Two biggest issues are salt and tires. Summer tires don't work very well below 50 degrees. The heavy salt used on Pennsylvania roads is tough on cars. I use the garage time to upgrade and go over everything mechanical. I will take it out on warm days in the neighborhood just to keep things lubricated.

BryanCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 2007 GT3
If you really enjoy the car, certainly keep it. Plenty of sunny winter days to get it out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Hey Fred, my GT-350 brother. Give Trevor at Fat Fab a call when you relocate to that "Freedom" state and have those capable young craftsman "Turbo up" that beauty one winter. Then you will have something awesome & unique (Bad Ass) to look forward to in the Spring....... :wink:

I'm in Northwest Ohio, winter ain't that terrible. You appreciate a nice car a little more, anticipating the drive.....
So your answer is to put 40K into it so I can enjoy it even more during the warm months? I like your style.
I‘ve been thinking about that for a while now. Move to a free state so I can let ‘er rip.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
So the wife and I are fully retired now and moving from the Central Valley in California to Cheyenne, Wyoming. When? We don’t know yet, could be this spring, could be a couple years. We’ll probably have to build due to low inventory.
I know what we’re getting into as far as the winters go, we met in Ft Collins, Co almost 40 years ago.
I’ve never owned a sports car that sat in storage for 5 or so months a year. My thoughts are to sell the GT350 before we head out and enjoy it as much as I can beforehand.
I had lunch with a dear friend today that thought I was crazy to not keep the car. Putting it in storage is not a big deal he says. Just drive the hell out of it the other seven months he says.
Those of you that have moved from a 365 sports car season to putting your car in storage for a few months, I have questions.
How do you justify sitting on something like a GT350 and not enjoying it all year long?
Well for me, I bought my 19GT fully loaded, put an extra 25k+ in mods since I bought it, and I store it 5 months a year and personally have no issue with that. I bought it for fun and not to sell. Even though I only have 1200 miles on the car, it makes me happy and I enjoy when I do take it out. I Uncover, wash and wax and cruise just to have fun. I say, enjoy while you can for it might not be to long before your not able to. Have Fun

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Winters in my area are not as formidable as WY, but I will be stowing Skye in the garage for several months. I choose to do this as they use a liquid salt solution, salt itself and sand at different times throughout winter; it isn't gone from the road surface until April or May.

It's a really cool car I want to keep nice as nice as possible. Not driving her for a few months a year is a small price to pay. Every Spring it will be like driving a brand new car all over again.

Seems like you've done well in your life. Follow what you love and enjoy it. No shame in keeping the car or selling it and using the proceeds for a new passion.

Last edited:

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
There s no right or wrong answer . Put it away your first winter and then when spring comes you can either sell it or drive it. You decide. Then that happens again the next year. Rinse and repeat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You have to ask yourself why you own a GT350. You can sell it before you move if you want to optimize resale and make the most money. Collecting/money/eyeballing enjoyment is a legit reason for owning a GT350. Based on your posts here I don't think you fall into this category of owner, but I could be wrong.

You can store it and only drive if the weather is perfect. That would give you some opportunities to enjoy the car, but you'll be driving it a lot less than you do now. This converts the car into somewhat of a collector/eyeball garage queen car, and it preserves the car longer than more usage would. Of course over time you will still need to maintain and it will slowly degrade, but the car will last a long time in your ownership. You just won't be using it much. And you might want to get something else that you enjoy quite a bit to drive the rest of the year.

You can get snow tires and drive it occasionally on nice days in the winter. This is what I did when I owned a GT350. They can be driven every day in any weather. They are that good of a car. But I generally preferred not to do that. And I owned a junky 4WD SUV for the snowy, icy, sloppy days. I think that something along these lines might be the best for you. But since you haven't driven in low traction conditions for many years I would advise you to be very careful with the GT350 in the winter until you get used to that. Keep the revs down and take it easy.

Or you could buy something else. You could have a cheaper sporty car for summer only plus a dedicated poor weather vehicle. Or just a cheaper sporty car that you don't mind driving every day. I've driven Mustang GTs through the winter as my only car and they do fine as long as you put a good set of tires on them.

Currently I own a GR86 with the plan that the 86 is my daily driver that I will use in foul weather. It's inexpensive and I think it will be good with a nice set of snow tires on it.

My personal philosophy is that life is too short to drive something boring. I would rather spend a little more money and drive a fun car all the time. I did the AWD and FWD thing in the winter and to me it's too boring. Sure AWD is fun to drift around on a snow day, but RWD is fun every day.

Good luck with the decision. If I were you I wouldn't sell the GT350 and I would also buy snow tires for it. I'd get under the car and spray it down with Woolwax, 3M body wax or some other similar product. Then I would just enjoy the car and have fun.
Sponsored