Relocating to snow country???

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
I moved from 20years of Florida to the high desert of Reno/Sparks Nevada. Our proximity to the Sierras and Lake Tahoe brings a decent amount of snow. I hibernated a car for the first time ever in the 350. Garaged for 5mo.
It pained me, but I had to do it. So now I post this pic which always garners some laughs here.
20210130_135412.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I moved from 20years of Florida to the high desert of Reno/Sparks Nevada. Our proximity to the Sierras and Lake Tahoe brings a decent amount of snow. I hibernated a car for the first time ever in the 350. Garaged for 5mo.
It pained me, but I had to do it. So now I post this pic which always garners some laughs here.
20210130_135412.jpg
Thank you for that.
Was that your first experience in a cold weather winter with a performance car?
I have a pretty good idea what Iā€™ll need to do, just trying to decide whether I want to do it or not.
The best positive response to me has been ā€œ itā€™s like driving the car for the first time again come springā€. I like that.
Just wrestling with the waste thing. Then the wife reminds me of the Triumph Explorer 1200 that has been sitting in the garage for over two yearsā€¦.untouched.
Time to sell the bike which is really, really difficult. Weā€™ve had many dirt or street bikes for many, many years. This is the last one. Traded in my beloved Ducati ST3 for it so the wife could be more comfortable. Now she wonā€™t ride anymore.
Again, first world problems.

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
^^ I put the car in that garage Nov 1. That snow was a week later. The only salvation was that I had a other "fun" vehicles to ease my pain. I had 20' Durango SRT and a 17' Raptor for the cold and snow. But, yes the day I brought it out(mid April) it was Sunny and 60. It will go garage again around Nov 1.
20201108_095218.jpg
20201118_140622_HDR.jpg
20211011_070816.jpg

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
NH here. She goes into hibernation in November and I wake her up in April. Just change the fluids, crank up the air pressure in the tires, slap a battery charger on and mouse proof the heck out of it.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Lots of good feedback here for you Fred. It's not a simple answer of course.

I moved from Southern California to Northern NJ after 8yrs of sun and fun in my twenties. Had a Mustang convertible in SoCal... top down for 3 weeks straight!

There are really only 2 ways from my experience to keep and enjoy your car without it becoming too much of a burden in snow country. Winter tires, or storage. Both have obvious downsides. Performance, space, and cost.

I sold my Mustang and used trucks for many years in NJ because the weather sucks 50% of the time. Eventually got the bug again. It helped to have a better financial situation to allow proper storage of mustangs and still have a truck for that snow.

Good luck with whichever way you go. Please let us know. Wyoming sounds like a great place to live and I bet owning a GT350 there would be a great place to enjoy driving it.... when you can.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Just got an other set of Bullitt 19" wheels but with Michelin Pilot Alpin for the winter season. šŸ˜„
For the GT350 wheels there are certainly suitable winter tires? :wink:

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
We certainly do have other vehicles that will handle the winters, all wheel drive and a 4X4 hunting vehicle.
Iā€™ll guarantee Iā€™d miss the GT350 when the weather is warm enough. Weā€™ll have a drastic lifestyle change at the same time. Itā€™s not just about cars. Itā€™s about a live and let live, freedom loving lifestyle. Giving up a car is a small price to pay.
That said, itā€™s still a tough decision.
Thank you for all of your input. Keep it coming please.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
FWIW, I installed at set of really good performance winter tires (Sottozero 3s) on my GT automotic car. Transformed the winter driving experience. No joke. Very confidence inspiring. Didn't drive through a blizzard but they were really good in the sleet, slush, light snow and cold. @LED FT installed a set on his GT350. Maybe reach out to him and get his 2 cents.

LED FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J2224
Here is my 2 cents. I live in PA, and my GT350 was my daily driver. My wife has an X5 so for real snow I could always take her car. That being said, I was still driving the GT350 all through the winter with or without snow. The high performance summer tires just did not like cold weather. So typically around Thanksgiving I would switch over to the winter tires (sottozero 3's). They simply handled better on wet or dry roads all winter long. I did take the Shelby out in the snow several times and the car handled it well as long as you didn't get stupid. I also grew up driving rear wheel sports cars in the snow, so I have experience with it.

Shameless plug...I sold my GT350 and still have the winter tires and wheels for sale. Here is my post if you are interested. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-wheels-750-obo-local-pickup.178605/#post-3615535
Sponsored