Relocating to snow country???

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
How do you justify sitting on something like a GT350 and not enjoying it all year long?
It’s not a question of money for us, it’s just how we use our money.
Speaking as a man who will be putting her in the garage this winter?

I work hard for my money. Damn hard. I take care of my son. I take care of our futures. What little extra I have leftover I get to enjoy myself and this is my Me Time. Washing my car? Me Time. Going for a cruise (if the gf isn't in the car)? Me Time. Adding parts and mods? Me Time.

At some point, you need to decide that you want to make life worth living. If this is your jam then rock on with your bad self. You don't need to justify anything to anyone. You do you, everyone else can get stuffed.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So the wife and I are fully retired now and moving from the Central Valley in California to Cheyenne, Wyoming. When? We don’t know yet, could be this spring, could be a couple years. We’ll probably have to build due to low inventory.
I know what we’re getting into as far as the winters go, we met in Ft Collins, Co almost 40 years ago.
I’ve never owned a sports car that sat in storage for 5 or so months a year. My thoughts are to sell the GT350 before we head out and enjoy it as much as I can beforehand.
I had lunch with a dear friend today that thought I was crazy to not keep the car. Putting it in storage is not a big deal he says. Just drive the hell out of it the other seven months he says.
Those of you that have moved from a 365 sports car season to putting your car in storage for a few months, I have questions.
How do you justify sitting on something like a GT350 and not enjoying it all year long?
The way I'd think about your situation is a bit different than you've framed it. I'd ask myself if, since I was moving to an area with a "real winter" and a "real summer", whether I wanted one vehicle that was ok but mostly a compromise for both, of if I'd want a vehicle that's perfect for winter driving and a second that's perfect for summer.

I kind of started that way about 7 years ago and now I've got a general purpose vehicle for getting groceries, running errands, and the big summer vacation trip with two dogs, a bunch of luggage and an inflatable boat. The GT350 has been relegated to track days and those highway runs where it's maybe just the two of us for a nice blast up country for a weekend away. Having found the perfect cars for both, parking the GT350 for the winter isn't a problem - I put on all seasons, plug in the battery tender and take it for a spin around the neighborhood once a month or so when the roads are clear and there's no salt. It's become just one more reason to look forward to spring...

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Wyoming winter can be pretty brutal. I only have a lowly GT, but I don't mind putting it away for winter here. I take it out a few times on mild days to keep all the fluids flowing. It's nice hopping back in come spring time and being reminded how much you love it.

With that said, if you want to drive it year round you can. Just buy some winter tires. These cars do fine as long as there isn't super deep snow or lots of hills on your commute.
Of course talking here as "only" a Bullitt owner, but I've got 2 winters under my belt now in Ohio (arguably lot less severe than WY, but I've lived in ND and MN for a long time before the Bullitt and OH) and the car is easily dailyable with good winter tires on.
I do usually increase the frequency of touchless washes to keep the salt off, but I couldn't stand the sight of the car in hibernation while I commute in some POS...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, so don't know any better..... spring, summer, and especially fall, are for driving. Winter, well that's for skiing and working on the cars.

Get yourself a well set up and spacious shop with heat and enjoy winter.
This is key.

Minnesota is a total bucket of suck for too much of the year, and the older I get the more I wonder why I stay here (apparently I don't know better either). But my shop (currently containing my two fun cars and four motorcycles, among other things) helps keep me sane in the winter. Once spring hits, everything is spit shined and ready to roll.

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
There are suitable snow chains for the pony (for 19" wheels), I see no reason not to drive it in winter.
(Preservation of the underbody is something to be concerned with though).
Might sound strange, but I think a car like the Mustang with a decent "crust" on is impressive.

PS:
Someone from the German Mustang board roadtripped his pony all the way to the North Cape in the winter 2020.
There is his travelogue, Google translator should be able to make something out of it:
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=330919#p330919
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=331098#p331098
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=331299#p331299
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=331502#p331502
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=331799#p331799
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=332212#p332212
https://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?p=335523#p335523

In 2022, he made the journey with the Porsche that replaced his pony.
Don't be surprised, both are used also as driving school cars.

Last edited:

cfarm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I live in Monument Colorado, where we get about 110 inches of snow a year. Last year, I was driving my 2019 'vert in December, with the top down! You would be surprised at how often you can drive your car, especially if you don't get as much snow as we do. Keep it! I also think you'll have some really nice wide open roads in Wyoming where you can really let her run wide open!

Sains5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1, FJ Grey, Handling Package, Manual, RSD
Well Fred, if they use salt on the roads in Wyoming, I’d just leave it tucked away for the winter, if not, get a good set of winter performance tires and have fun.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
We made a similar move in 2015, from Central Cal to Boise. I had a new GT that was great in CA but sucked as a snow car. It was my daily, not a toy car, and that was the problem. We suffered with it through the first winter, with it mostly sitting in the garage from October to April. The following December it got traded for an AWD Lincoln MKX. A painful day but it was the right call. The Lincoln is unstoppable in the snow. In 2020 we moved again, to Florida, and left all that snow and crap behind. You can see that I was quick to replace the Mustang when I had the chance.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
My man Fred, before you go putting on snow tires, trailer hitch & running that beautiful Shelby GT-350 through the cheap automatic car wash that has some old “Drapes” beating on the paint and ripping off the fenders, you should consider that I would procure your beauty (Shelby) before you slide off into some abyss and do something regrettable…..:giggle:

Sponsored

Voodoo Blues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2017 Impreza
I drive my GT350 year round in Cheyenne. Not in every weather of course. Snow and ice are for the Subaru. Snow tires on the GT350?!? Only if you need every scrap of spare change just to keep the half-a-race-car running in all weather cause it's your only transportation. And I bet it aint. Live the GT350 as God intended.

There are plenty of sunny days with clear roads to turn 8000 rpm in Cheyenne during the winters. It's the high plains, 6000 feet of elevation, maybe two dozen days of miserable road conditions too challenging for a powerful rear wheel drive car.

Be aware of animals in the roads, including skunks, cows, antelope and trophy truck drivers with tender egos. Cheyenne is a mix of suburban streets surrounded by some interesting country roads. If you use your GT350 to run errands, simply take a long way around to avoid suburban clots.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Whoaaaaa.... hold on there before making a rash decision in getting rid of the Mustang... there's ALWAYS options...

Ford-MUDstang-build-e1608745796186.jpg

1661872051429.jpeg
1661871308969.jpeg

1661871331277.jpeg

1661871360771.jpeg

1661871451530.jpeg

1661871494337.jpeg

1661871689279.jpeg

😁😂 Hey, they're not pretty but wouid be practical in winter months for sure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I drive my GT350 year round in Cheyenne. Not in every weather of course. Snow and ice are for the Subaru. Snow tires on the GT350?!? Only if you need every scrap of spare change just to keep the half-a-race-car running in all weather cause it's your only transportation. And I bet it aint. Live the GT350 as God intended.

There are plenty of sunny days with clear roads to turn 8000 rpm in Cheyenne during the winters. It's the high plains, 6000 feet of elevation, maybe two dozen days of miserable road conditions too challenging for a powerful rear wheel drive car.

Be aware of animals in the roads, including skunks, cows, antelope and trophy truck drivers with tender egos. Cheyenne is a mix of suburban streets surrounded by some interesting country roads. If you use your GT350 to run errands, simply take a long way around to avoid suburban clots.
I was hoping when I read this that you were the GT350 we saw in Cheyenne this past June. We were there for a few days checking out the area….it’s been 35+ years since I’ve been there, hasn’t changed much which is a good thing.
We saw a black w/white stripes downtown, obviously not you.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
We made a similar move in 2015, from Central Cal to Boise. I had a new GT that was great in CA but sucked as a snow car. It was my daily, not a toy car, and that was the problem. We suffered with it through the first winter, with it mostly sitting in the garage from October to April. The following December it got traded for an AWD Lincoln MKX. A painful day but it was the right call. The Lincoln is unstoppable in the snow. In 2020 we moved again, to Florida, and left all that snow and crap behind. You can see that I was quick to replace the Mustang when I had the chance.
That’s the response I’ve been looking for. Someone who moved from my climate to cold country.
BTW….We visited friends this past June in Hayden, Id. What a beautiful state Idaho is!

Last edited:

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
So the wife and I are fully retired now and moving from the Central Valley in California to Cheyenne, Wyoming. When? We don’t know yet, could be this spring, could be a couple years. We’ll probably have to build due to low inventory.
I know what we’re getting into as far as the winters go, we met in Ft Collins, Co almost 40 years ago.
I’ve never owned a sports car that sat in storage for 5 or so months a year. My thoughts are to sell the GT350 before we head out and enjoy it as much as I can beforehand.
I had lunch with a dear friend today that thought I was crazy to not keep the car. Putting it in storage is not a big deal he says. Just drive the hell out of it the other seven months he says.
Those of you that have moved from a 365 sports car season to putting your car in storage for a few months, I have questions.
Canadian here...so storing my toys for winter is normal.
If money is not the concern, keep the car and store it as required. I think you may regret selling it.
Sponsored