Sponsored

Extended Studs / Square Setup

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am looking at ordering the GT4 extended studs from OPM. This year I want to run a square rotatable wheel setup (I have to get new wheels) as well as a squared setup with all seasons for any rainy days on the factory rims and I am not sure if this is possible. I searched extensively for answer to the following questions and was hoping someone could help me out as I think they are easy questions but I want to make sure I don't misstep.

These questions are all based on the GT4 hubs being installed

1. Do you need to use the spacer with the factory rims up front?
2. If the spacer is required up front will the stocks rims still mount safely with factory lugs?
3. I assume that the stocks rims can be mounted in 305/35/19 squared but they will not be able to be rotatable from front to back (only side to side) like they currently are.
4. With Apex or Signature wheels for the track I just need to order the proper offset and everything else will fall into place with the spacer and hubs and lugs with the new rims?
5. Are there any videos/walkthroughs for installing the new hubs (just trying to see if it is something I can handle)?
Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I am looking at ordering the GT4 extended studs from OPM. This year I want to run a square rotatable wheel setup (I have to get new wheels) as well as a squared setup with all seasons for any rainy days on the factory rims and I am not sure if this is possible. I searched extensively for answer to the following questions and was hoping someone could help me out as I think they are easy questions but I want to make sure I don't misstep.

These questions are all based on the GT4 hubs being installed

1. Do you need to use the spacer with the factory rims up front?
2. If the spacer is required up front will the stocks rims still mount safely with factory lugs?
3. I assume that the stocks rims can be mounted in 305/35/19 squared but they will not be able to be rotatable from front to back (only side to side) like they currently are.
4. With Apex or Signature wheels for the track I just need to order the proper offset and everything else will fall into place with the spacer and hubs and lugs with the new rims?
5. Are there any videos/walkthroughs for installing the new hubs (just trying to see if it is something I can handle)?
1. No, don't use the spacer with the factory wheels.
2. You will need open ended lug nuts so they can run far enough down the lugs to seat.
3. Correct.
4. Correct.
5. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...isit-and-a-screw-up-for-entertainment.159924/

I do what you're planning. I use my stock wheels (with 285mm tires) for winter. No spacers. I have both Signature and Apex wheel sets (summer and track) that are 11.5" and rotatable. I use front spacers with those. I have the OP GT4 studs up front (replaced the R length in my post) and mid-length in the rear. Let me know if you have any questions. It's work, but really doable in a few hours if you're handy - I've done it twice now.

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for that info! It is much appreciated. Any recommendations on open ended lugs?

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I used and still have the ones from OPR that I got when I bought the studs.

20210722_191118.jpg

I have more recently picked up a set of Signature's titanium lug nuts.

20220424_191032.jpg

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
1. No, don't use the spacer with the factory wheels.
2. You will need open ended lug nuts so they can run far enough down the lugs to seat.
3. Correct.
4. Correct.
5. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...isit-and-a-screw-up-for-entertainment.159924/

I do what you're planning. I use my stock wheels (with 285mm tires) for winter. No spacers. I have both Signature and Apex wheel sets (summer and track) that are 11.5" and rotatable. I use front spacers with those. I have the OP GT4 studs up front (replaced the R length in my post) and mid-length in the rear. Let me know if you have any questions. It's work, but really doable in a few hours if you're handy - I've done it twice now.
I went through your writeup on changing the front hubs and I've got two things to add.

First, you said you couldn't torque the back hub mounting bolts because a torque wrench doesn't fit in the gap behind the rear bolt heads. I've had mine on and off a bunch of times, and you can do it with a crowfoot socket on an extension. It's awkward because you can't ratchet the socket, but with a little patience, it works. Getting those bolts tight is REALLY important.

Second, you get a lot more room to work if you slide the caliper completely off the studs and hang it aside - I slide a broom handle through the front subframe and slip it through the gap between the pads and let it hang out of the way. Then you can use the steering wheel to turn the wheels in and out - you have more space to work and you can access the bolt heads much more easily that way.

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I went through your writeup on changing the front hubs and I've got two things to add.

First, you said you couldn't torque the back hub mounting bolts because a torque wrench doesn't fit in the gap behind the rear bolt heads. I've had mine on and off a bunch of times, and you can do it with a crowfoot socket on an extension. It's awkward because you can't ratchet the socket, but with a little patience, it works. Getting those bolts tight is REALLY important.

Second, you get a lot more room to work if you slide the caliper completely off the studs and hang it aside - I slide a broom handle through the front subframe and slip it through the gap between the pads and let it hang out of the way. Then you can use the steering wheel to turn the wheels in and out - you have more space to work and you can access the bolt heads much more easily that way.
Good tips. As I didn't use a torque wrench (didn't have a crowfoot), I just cranked the bolts good and tight :)

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I didn't think anything had to be done with the rear hubs? Do most people change the studs out or do the rear hubs?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Apex 19x11.5 square et56 back spacing with 31mm op front spacer and op mustang gt4 studs all around.

B09C588F-4BBC-448B-8F52-4479BF2F7B02.jpeg

fronts were super easy to do, about 30min with the stud installer from amazon $20. REARS sucked

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just did new hubs from OP last week. Tim is super helpful (I lost the directions, messaged him at 5 pm asking for torque specs, he texted me back 5 minutes later). The hubs come with lug nuts. I ordered 10 more so the rear lugs match the front, and it sounds stupid, but his lugs are much lighter, reducing unsprung weight. The install itself is simply. Pull wheel, pull caliper and hang (I was doing FP springs at the same time so hung it from the strut holes with speaker wire), pull rotor, then you can get a socket on all bolts except one. I used a racheting wrench on that one, and it had plenty of clearance. I torqued them to spec, and the one I couldn't get to, I had a pretty good feel for how hard I had to push to hit 98 ft/lbs with the wrench.

Before I started, I was a little concerned I was getting in over my head. That couldn't be further from the reality. It is a simple install. The hardest part was checking the OP site multiple times a day to see if they got new hubs with the GT4 studs.

I have factory rims now, and I put an 8 mm spacer which widened the stance. Not necessary.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Apex 19x11.5 square et56 back spacing with 31mm op front spacer and op mustang gt4 studs all around.

fronts were super easy to do, about 30min with the stud installer from amazon $20. REARS sucked
What is the font for your numbers/where did you get them? I love that font and can't find it in the usual spots.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think anything had to be done with the rear hubs? Do most people change the studs out or do the rear hubs?
Not required to do the rear. I wanted longer, higher-quality studs on the rear for peace of mind on track.

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Stock rear studs barely make the full depth of the open lug nuts. Was disconcerting to me when I swapped to open nuts. That's most of the reason that I am doing my rears

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

19x11.5 square... Bravo man. No idea how you got all that wheel under the fender but bravo to you. Looks good.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
19x11.5 square... Bravo man. No idea how you got all that wheel under the fender but bravo to you. Looks good.
Not that hard, really. I'm running 11.5" all 4 corners with 325s. Nothing but the proper offset and spacers plus alignment.
Sponsored