So, steppin’ out?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding what you mean here, but if you get in trouble with the back end at fairly low speed the gas pedal is kind of an on/off switch. Come off the pedal and the car normally straightens up. I’ve never understood why this is such a difficult concept, like that guy in the video of the blue car earlier in this thread. Why did he stay in it?

I personally usually find it easier to stay in the throttle and drive out of it, but that’s just me. Up until starting this thread I thought I was just an average driver with old guy reflexes but reading some of this stuff makes me wonder if I’m not exceptional. Either that or a lot of GT owners are very young and just never had a car’s ass end come around on them.
Drivers shouldn't be getting into trouble with the back end to start with. Those that treat the gas pedal like an on/off switch, are the ones that have over-steer issues. Some "drivers" stomp the gas and expect the car to keep everything straight, because video games.

The rear end coming out should only happen when you want it to happen, when you're deliberately causing it to happen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
What were some of the other cars you’re referencing and did any make power similar to your Mustang?
Porsche 911S (997.2), modded BMW 335i and Mercedes SL55 AMG, All had comparable or better performance. The Porsche makes less power (418hp), but the delivery was very similar and it weighed a lot less.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Drivers shouldn't be getting into trouble with the back end to start with. Those that treat the gas pedal like an on/off switch, are the ones that have over-steer issues. Some "drivers" stomp the gas and expect the car to keep everything straight, because video games.

The rear end coming out should only happen when you want it to happen, when you're deliberately causing it to happen.
They are playing the wrong games. Assetto Corsa I've spun the mustang so so so many times.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Personally, I think the nannies are the cause of many of the accidents we see when people intentionally get on it. I’ve had one or two wtf moments when I would get on it and the nannies would kick in. While it’s trying to correct any detectable yaw, it really makes the car completely unpredictable. They might be good for the occasional hydroplane or other gradual slide, but they just create more chaos when you aren’t expecting them.

I always turn off TC and ESC, at least when I’m on the track or just playing around. My GTO on 265 NT05’s was the most predictable car I’ve ever driven right on the edge. The Mustang on 305’s has considerably more grip and takes that edge up a notch. It isn’t as predictable as the GTO was on less rubber, but it’s still quite controllable without some computer trying to cancel out whatever you are trying to do.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
40 years, many cars, 18 months in my first Mustang, this never has even come close to happening except one time when I was 6 and driving in the snow ;-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Personally, I think the nannies are the cause of many of the accidents we see when people intentionally get on it. I’ve had one or two wtf moments when I would get on it and the nannies would kick in. While it’s trying to correct any detectable yaw, it really makes the car completely unpredictable. They might be good for the occasional hydroplane or other gradual slide, but they just create more chaos when you aren’t expecting them.

I always turn off TC and ESC, at least when I’m on the track or just playing around. My GTO on 265 NT05’s was the most predictable car I’ve ever driven right on the edge. The Mustang on 305’s has considerably more grip and takes that edge up a notch. It isn’t as predictable as the GTO was on less rubber, but it’s still quite controllable without some computer trying to cancel out whatever you are trying to do.
Which do you think is more likely to cause a problem, TC or ESC?

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
User error. Easy to do if don't understand the critical role of ESC system and mode selection options in a 460 HP RWD car.
I sure agree about the user error.

Your understanding of mode selection, TC and ESC and their interaction when getting on the car a little seems to be greater than mine. If you get a minute would you mind elaborating for me?

I normally run in track mode as my default, but if I’m wanting to do a pull or two I’ll usually put it in drag strip mode and turn off TC but leave ESC on. Somehow in my mind leaving ESC on is a fail safe in a worst case scenario. But then I think, wait, if the car is in a natural fishtail and all of a sudden ESC hits the brakes it might react in a way totally unexpected to me. Since I never had a problem controlling my cars in the old pre-nanny days and they were predictable to me, I sometimes think I’d do better just turning TC and ESC off when doing a pull. How much different could it be from the good old days?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Modern cars have better suspension, and much, much better tires. That means that the cars have better mechanical grip to the road. Our old cars and tires from the past can't hold a candle to modern cars.

That means that when the grip limit is reached, and exceeded, the car is going a LOT faster than cars of yore would be when they lost grip to the road. So we as drivers have less time to react. And that also means that the penalty for not correcting/controlling properly, is much worse. Crashes happen at higher speeds now, with all the physics that go with that.

And, these cars have gotten a lot heavier. So that adds a whole 'nuther layer of energy and physics to handle.

So.....if you want to have fun with grip on the road, get one of the original Toyota F86s, with the skinny Eco tires, and slide that thing around at 20MPH and with 150HP, rather than at much higher speeds and with much more power in our cars.

In these cars, just stick to staying on the good side of grip to the road.

Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
From my research. And while this was way more common in previous generations. It can still happen with the s550. What can happen is when you are in fishtail from a burn out the AdvanceTrac can at times not see you are in control and actually turning appropriately into the slide start applying brakes and controlling tq in the direction you are already steering in correctly thus creating a huge oversteer in the direction your wheels are already turned causing an almost impossible uncorrectable spinout. Even if you have turned AdvanceTrac off it has been known to kick back in and making it even more unexpected. Letting off the gas will stop it immediately but as you are thinking you are in control many don't until to late.

Watching the video of the blue stang this looks like what happened. He was in a slide, turned correctly into it AdvanceTrac applied its nannies and created a huge oversteer that was unexpected and uncorrectable.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
From my research. And while this was way more common in previous generations. It can still happen with the s550. What can happen is when you are in fishtail from a burn out the AdvanceTrac can at times not see you are in control and actually turning appropriately into the slide start applying brakes and controlling tq in the direction you are already steering in correctly thus creating a huge oversteer in the direction your wheels are already turned causing an almost impossible uncorrectable spinout. Even if you have turned AdvanceTrac off it has been known to kick back in and making it even more unexpected. Letting off the gas will stop it immediately but as you are thinking you are in control many don't until to late.

Watching the video of the blue stang this looks like what happened. He was in a slide, turned correctly into it AdvanceTrac applied its nannies and created a huge oversteer that was unexpected and uncorrectable.
What are your sources?

It looks like the car just has p zeros that are worn out in the rear.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
1642546663818.png

Nope.....complete idiot. Don't buy a car you don't know how to drive. :crackup:
Yep, it's like some people shouldn't have guns for they are the ones who shoot some one and then say He Didn't Pull the Trigger, some people should not be able to chew bubble gum for they are the ones who try to walk and chew at the same time who end up choking to death on it. Society will never be able to weed out all of the idiots in this world. That's just the way it is.

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 full BMR handling upgrades, xpipe, MGW
Missing? People are idiots and acting like hooligans. Cold performance tires on a cold day will cause a little pucker.
This almost happened to me yesterday. And I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, as in, on a track, and I grew up snow driving and playing and drifting. I went to pass a slow SUV. Look in my sig… alignment and set up is way better then just good. I was already in 2nd about half throttle. I went 7/8 throttle and top of 2nd the rear completely snapped loose and I went over into her lane full sideways before I knew it, right in front of her probably 1 car length. And almost out of that lane into the curb. I had enough time to say shit 5 times as fast as I could before regaining control. Kept the wheel straight where I wanted to go. Didn’t overcorrect, let out easy even though my heart was in panic mode. I prob have it on my radar DashCam footage. (I’ll have to get a more accurate “shit” count on the replay) The pilot super sports aren’t great under 40 degrees, and mine are about due for replacement. Problem is nobody has them in 305/35/19 and 295/35/19 in stock because of Covid backlog. Same with winter (Michelin PS4 295 square) tires. You can’t get them in GT350 size right now, literally the only thing available are cup 2, worthless in winter cold, and those are terrible wear rating.
It can happen to anyone under the right conditions, out of nowhere, especially in cold weather with more than half to 3/4 worn tread. Granted I should not have been driving in tack mode without traction control. But with current tire wear it slips in just about any mode.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled

Another one...

just keep advancetrac on you can pull 400+ foot burnouts if you keep it straight enough.
Sponsored