Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I don’t understand all the hate for the Getrag. It’s not a bad transmission particularly with the twin disc. And, I’m coming from a Tremec with a JHP short throw and LS7 clutch for comparison.
I'm coming from a 2008 Evo, and a 1992 Nissan with ~245,000 miles on it. I can see why someone might not think the Getrag is as good as either of those transmissions.
The tactile feel that lets me know I'm in the gear I wanted is better in either Japanese car than in the Getrag. And the Getrag's clutch feel leaves something to be desired. Between that and the steering on late-model cars, it seems like designing anything for tactile feedback is a very low priority (and soon, a lost art) for car companies now.
On the other hand, the Getrag has the virtues that the clutch pedal is lighter than that of my 4-banger Evo, and having a 6th gear is great in a 70 zone. (Or a 55 zone for that matter.)

There have been sketchy decisions like apparently building the Getrag with aluminum shift forks. Aluminum? Srsly???
Even if I hadn't taken a class about material science, it's still easy to understand that a steel part is more rigid and will outlast an aluminum part of the same dimensions.
And if they break, the replacement part is still aluminum? Does no one make steel shift forks for this thing?
If not, I bet part of the reason is how easy it is to put a Tremec in its place. 😃

It still doesn't seem right to hate the Getrag just because it's not as nice as the Tremec.

I plan on keeping my Mustang long enough, I'll probably find out firsthand if the Tremec is better. 😁

Don’t let the haters deter you from considering a manual if that’s what you want.
^ This. So much this.
No matter what you drive, someone is going to hate on it.
If not automatic owners, then it will be Chevy owners.
Or Subaru fanbois.
Or snooty BMW owners.
Or pedestrians at Cars and Coffee. 😇
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t understand all the hate for the Getrag. It’s not a bad transmission particularly with the twin disc. And, I’m coming from a Tremec with a JHP short throw and LS7 clutch for comparison. Don’t let the haters deter you from considering a manual if that’s what you want.
Although I've not owned it yet, I've driven a few and didn't have any issues. Let's be real. The fault here is the factory clutch. As with all factory clutches in street cars, it's a compromise piece. Cost, performance, driveability. A twin-disk isn't exactly as easy to drive and also tends to be noisy, Not cool for a brand new factory car, so guess what, they go with something cheaper.

Here's a fact: I had lockouts and gear change issues on my T56 on my 2000 Camaro Z28 (purchased brand new, with Hurst factory shifter). The clutch SUCKED. Everybody knew it and anyone who wanted to race those cars upgraded to a McLeod or other brand twin-disc. The T56 is fantastic, but according to the Getrag haters nowadays, it would've been trashed in the forums I guess. Back then we knew it was the clutch.... Y'all n00bs. :p

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
There have been sketchy decisions like apparently building the Getrag with aluminum shift forks.
That appears to have been an initial issue that was resolved in the later 2018 models.

A twin-disk isn't exactly as easy to drive and also tends to be noisy, Not cool for a brand new factory car, so guess what, they go with something cheaper.
2018+ M6’s have a factory twin disc clutch.

I’ve beat on my 2018 pretty good. It’s seen eight track days and probably 25 1/4-mile passes on drag radials with zero issues. I’ve yet to experience any of the so-called common lockouts shifting at 7K rpm’s. In fact, IMO, it has a more crisp feel entering the gates than my short-throw Tremec did. Maybe I got lucky and just happened to get a decent one, but some of the comments I read on here about the Getrag aren’t justified based on my experience.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
That appears to have been an initial issue that was resolved in the later 2018 models.

I’ve beat on my 2018 pretty good. It’s seen eight track days and probably 25 1/4-mile passes on drag radials with zero issues. I’ve yet to experience any of the so-called common lockouts shifting at 7K rpm’s. In fact, IMO, it has a more crisp feel entering the gates than my short-throw Tremec did. Maybe I got lucky and just happened to get a decent one, but some of the comments I read on here about the Getrag aren’t justified based on my experience.
I agree with Silver Bullitt. While I'm not crazy about my M6, I can't really say it's a horrible transmission. I drove a Mach 1 with the Tremec, and I couldn't tell a nickles worth of difference between the two.
My biggest problem with the Getrag, is that first is too high and sixth is to low.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Leaving aside clutch feel (and that IS an abomination), my issues with the gearbox MT82-D4 are

Nibble going into gear if anything other than really warm.

Tactile feedback between gates, there is none. I have driven other European Ford manuals and shifting gears is an effortless affair you don't even think about. This gearbox feels like they never deburred the gate and unless you are aligned 100% on moving the stick you hit the finger of the gate ( not explaining that well think of other gearbox gates being slightly V and even if you aren't perfectly aligned it'll slide in, the MT82 is a II , you either hit or don't)

Centering spring is grossly over strength (the centering force that brings a neutral stick to rest between 3rd and 4th.) This results in more effort needed to choose a gear.

Having seen some of the apes on YouTube bursting a bicep changing gear I can see why Ford did that, for the love of god, you can change gears using your fingertips, if your bursting blood vessels changing gears maybe layoff the steroids?

Last edited:

Sponsored

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
On the topic of manual versus automatic, I found this YouTube video very interesting as it does a technical deep-dive into both, especially comparing the 2015-2017 and the 2018+ years.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I don’t disagree that the MT82-D4’s gearing is not ideal, particularly for track use. However, for the strip, I can trap in 3rd saving a shift. 5th is also a nice alternative on the street for highway use since you don’t have such a huge difference between 1:1 and the overdrive gear. Going from 5th to 6th just falls off the table in the MT82. I only use 6th gear for setting the cruise on long interstate trips. So while it could definitely be better for the track, it actually has it’s pros as well.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
On the topic of manual versus automatic, I found this YouTube video very interesting as it does a technical deep-dive into both, especially comparing the 2015-2017 and the 2018+ years.
Interesting. The Tremec in the Mach 1 goes back to ratios much more similar to the 2015. 5th is the 1:1 for instance.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I don’t understand all the hate for the Getrag. It’s not a bad transmission particularly with the twin disc. And, I’m coming from a Tremec with a JHP short throw and LS7 clutch for comparison. Don’t let the haters deter you from considering a manual if that’s what you want.
True, but I test drove 2 manual cars both the trans made noises that did not sound healthy at all.
One car had 3 miles on it, the other 10. My gut said, (in monty python voices) run away run aaaawwayyyyy.

Gabelo98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I previously owned a M6 6TH Gen Camaro SS and although i miss banging gears i bought the A10 5.0 because of its overall potential and i drag race alot and i like winning i think its hard for the manual shift fans to let go and admit stick shift cars are no longer dominant in the racing world now this is just my opinion

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Mine's been good to me too. In fact, it seems to shift even better when it's under heavy load at higher RPM's. Normal putting around town has the occasional nibble/notch, but buck the hood up and it's like butter.

I honestly think that engine/transmission installation variance at the factory has a large play in how these units perform given the body mounted shifter.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine's been good to me too. In fact, it seems to shift even better when it's under heavy load at higher RPM's. Normal putting around town has the occasional nibble/notch, but buck the hood up and it's like butter.

I honestly think that engine/transmission installation variance at the factory has a large play in how these units perform given the body mounted shifter.
The body mounted shifter issue is really more of a theory, I think. The majority of performance cars throughout modern times have had body mounted remote shifters, including almost anything AWD, FWD, or mid-engine. Now, they often are improved with stiffer bushings and such, because everything is a compromise. I think in terms of noise and smoothness, body mounted/remote is preferred, because a direct mount shifter is gonna vibrate. That's fine for a performance guy, but isn't looked upon kindly by a lot of people.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The body mounted shifter issue is really more of a theory, I think. The majority of performance cars throughout modern times have had body mounted remote shifters, including almost anything AWD, FWD, or mid-engine. Now, they often are improved with stiffer bushings and such, because everything is a compromise. I think in terms of noise and smoothness, body mounted/remote is preferred, because a direct mount shifter is gonna vibrate. That's fine for a performance guy, but isn't looked upon kindly by a lot of people.
My MGW on the 15GT was a huge upgrade and that took it off the body and onto the trans.
The trans moves from torque when you're giving it the beans and alignment changes causing lockout and grinding. MGW solved that. NVH was not noticeable.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I previously owned a M6 6TH Gen Camaro SS and although i miss banging gears i bought the A10 5.0 because of its overall potential and i drag race alot and i like winning i think its hard for the manual shift fans to let go and admit stick shift cars are no longer dominant in the racing world now this is just my opinion
My MGW on the 15GT was a huge upgrade and that took it off the body and onto the trans.
The trans moves from torque when you're giving it the beans and alignment changes causing lockout and grinding. MGW solved that. NVH was not noticeable.
I had occasional high rpm (full throttle) shifting issues on my T56 (2000 Camaro Z28), even with a Hurst shifter. Not common, but occasional. But the shifter was direct and did have a little vibration at idle. Didn't bother me.
Sponsored