Sponsored

RacerX#99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Auto, 2018 Edge SEL
OK so I am very new here but I don't understand why anybody has to justify buying an automatic or a manual. I have been driving for 60 years mostly manuals back in the 60s but in the past few years and now automatics. For some people driving a manual seems to be a badge of honor but driving an auto is not. In my years as an HPDE driving instructor, I have seen so many manual drivers who were just hacks with the clutch and shift lever. I'm not about to tell anybody what to buy or how to drive. We all think and drive differently just enjoy your ride and keep it on the pavement.
Sponsored

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I think one of the issues is point of reference. I sold my GT 6MT and have a Lexus LC500. Iā€™ve become ā€œmustang curiousā€ again as I really miss my GT, and Iā€™m currently renting a GT with the A10. I also just spent four days in a Porsche 911 Carrera S with the PDK. Coming from a manual into the mustang A10, it would feel like a good transmission. However, after living with my LC for 13,000 miles and having spent a week in the PDK Porsche, Iā€™m not a fan of the mustangā€™s A10. Stand alone? Itā€™s good. In comparison to the LC and the PDK? Itā€™s definitely less refined and not nearly as responsive. But the price points are far apart.

Butā€¦ itā€™s your car. If someone isnā€™t making the payment, they have no right to say if what you bought is good for you or not. Drive both, buy what you want, and be happy.

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
OK so I am very new here but I don't understand why anybody has to justify buying an automatic or a manual. I have been driving for 60 years mostly manuals back in the 60s but in the past few years and now automatics. For some people driving a manual seems to be a badge of honor but driving an auto is not. In my years as an HPDE driving instructor, I have seen so many manual drivers who were just hacks with the clutch and shift lever. I'm not about to tell anybody what to buy or how to drive. We all think and drive differently just enjoy your ride and keep it on the pavement.
That's absolutely right and I am very surprised that it is the same in the US as I thought it's german thing. Driving a manual automatically makes it a better car, nd the (male) driver more manly and professional. This attitude is also amplified by several motor/ car magazines and you tube channels.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The "automatic is faster" thing never made sense to me. Unless you bought it for personal records/achievements, there will always be somebody faster so what good is that "better performance"? The 10spd guys who used to beat up on me can't do anything with me now and statistically most of them never will...sure that 10% can buy the same setup and be a little faster...but then over here at our Mexico spot, we have no shortage of DEEP 1XXXhp GTRs that come out every single night of the week...to a couple UGR 2R lambos....what then? That auto is better, king of the hill strut only goes but so far...So I say just get what you like and enjoy. And I chose manual. More engaging and more fun imo.
WELP< because some of us like to drive spiritedly on curvy roads that are not always clean and might need to be more focused on braking, and turn in. than shifting.
I know when I'm on a track that it is as clean as humanly possible and driver choice of gear is ideal, but manually shifting it isn't. and why almost every type racing has moved away from it.
I still like manuals ,they have their place, but all the pro's they used to carry over an automatic are now con's. on a street car. sure if you track your Mustang more than drive it on the street, sure the manual is a better choice as it is still lighter and because a street going automatic had to work on the street isn't built to run laps over and over and over again. nor is the m82.
Now, If ford or g.m. or even mopar put in a dogleged clutchless 6 speed that take track use, then I'd be all in. not holding my breath.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Auto is fast; has a wired character in sport that is entertaining; my wife can drive it if she absolutely needs to; I can be lazy if I want to be lazy or engaged if I want to be engaged by going to S. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I had a 6 speed auto in my 16...this 10 speed is a different animal altogether for the engaged aspect. Manual means stuck with manual all the time which I don't see as a good thing. To each his own.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give my perspective.

I'll start off with saying I have 2019 ND MX-5/Miata which I do track and take to auto-x sessions and I love it!

If I get into a new GT/Mach 1 again it will be very difficult for me to choose between the two. I'll explain why. Here in Europe the export models do come with the 3:55 gearing irrepective of it being A10 or M6(MT82 or Tremec in the M1). The gearing in the Tremec is a bit shorter than the MT82 which is nice but the 18+ MT82 did get longer gearing compared to the gen 1 S550. So why am I saying this, the gearing is to tall in Europe in my opinion and it's like the car has quite less power comparing a M6 with the A10. I know numbers are not everything, again I do have an MX5 :D. However with that said, there is more or less a 1 second difference 0-62 in real world situations between the A10 and M6. This in turn means there is not much gear-shifting to be happening with the M6 on regular roads at least.

One option is to swap out the gearing and change the diff to the torsen but that requires some work and cash and I am not sure how the gearing can be changed in the software on the 21+ model years, don't want to tune

It's a total bummer for me, would love to have the M6 Mach 1 however I am afraid the car will feel sluggish with the M6 :(. I had the A10 in my GT and it transforms the car from a performance perspective at least on the export models
The MX5 is a thousand odd pounds lighter and a 4 banger with not much power, That car I'd want a manual . I drove a 2020 us spec retractable tan gut, red metaliic car. Very fun cars.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only reasons to buy a Mustang with an automatic are:
1. You are physically incapable of driving a manual
2. You consistently drag race
3. You live in or commute to a large city with significant traffic

Laziness is most likely the main reason most people drive an automatic Mustang though. This includes not wanting to learn how to drive a stick.
Some want their other half to enjoy the car and hobby also and That for me trumps the "man" pedal in this car.
If I feel the need to heel and toe I have other cars for that.
LAZINESS has nothing to do with it for most owners.
Have you tried to heel and toe in a mt82 equipped Mustang?
That gearbox fights you every step of the way.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like driving the manual, although the MT82 is the worst manual I have ever driven. But I have the A10 in a 2018 Expedition and that is superb and my limited runs in a Mustang A10 where its tuned for sporty driving confirmed that for an auto it can damn near read your mind.

And the Hellcat 8 speed is a thing of engineering beauty and brings a tear to my eye for trained engineers being allowed to do their thing. And using the paddle shifters I can make that car dance.

For getting groceries or commuting to work there are days when I long for the auto Mustang but those days taking a spin out to the Rockies I love the manual. But whether drag racing or a dig off the lights the auto wins hands down. But my Bullitt is for me to have fun in and I like my fun in manual form. Horses for courses. no right or wrong answer.
I test drove a MT82 car, It made my worn out top loader seem smooth. I had no faith it last with any spirited shifting/driving .

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's absolutely right and I am very surprised that it is the same in the US as I thought it's german thing. Driving a manual automatically makes it a better car, nd the (male) driver more manly and professional. This attitude is also amplified by several motor/ car magazines and you tube channels.
I think once they nicknamed it the "man" pedal. is where that b/s started.
buy what ya like, need. haters gotta hate.
Even the oem's have to add rpm matching because most of the chest pounding, must have a man pedal crowd can't drive a stick spiritedly to save their lives.

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
Even the oem's have to add rpm matching because most of the chest pounding, must have a man pedal crowd can't drive a stick spiritedly to save their lives.
Oh man, that is so true! And, all you have to do is watch a few of those POV driving videos posted on youtube by some manual mustang drivers to see proof. Clutch riding, bogged launches, missed gears etc.. Driving a car capable of mid 4 sec runs but hitting 0-60 in about the same amount of time a Toyota Camry can hit it. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, I have no idea how masculinity got involved in this argument, but it basically turned it into an immortal battle. For a long time the manual guys could shit from orbit since autos were so bad, and now that the tables have turned and the modern autos actually have decent gear ratios and shift speed, they have not hesitated to try and do the same thing.

Call me bad, but I like the rev matching, it's a nice feature in daily driving. No footwork needed, just downshift. But given I just like manual because it's fun, I can enjoy it how I want to lol

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Shifting is more entertaining than an auto, but the mt82 is not the best for spirited or dragstrip use, If your going to drag race car get the auto, its 1/2 second faster in 1/4 mile and just rips thru the gears. My 2020 stock auto gtcs ran 12.13 bone stock and with drag radials and skinnies up front ran 11.88 @ 119.4 mph. If no interest in racing get stick,
I realize the limitations. Just don't have much interest in drag racing anymore. Either way, a 6spd Coyote will still beat the MOPAR competition, at least anything short of a Hellcat.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I donā€™t understand all the hate for the Getrag. Itā€™s not a bad transmission particularly with the twin disc. And, Iā€™m coming from a Tremec with a JHP short throw and LS7 clutch for comparison. Donā€™t let the haters deter you from considering a manual if thatā€™s what you want.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
The Logan Lucky manual vs automatic bits are pretty funny. I have the auto and even I can admit that.
Sponsored