Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
You buy the transmission you want. I will buy the one I want.
Sponsored

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have had three Mustangs. Truth be told I was in a wreck in 1985 (December, just after Christmas, my brother was driving a 1971 Mustang Notchback with a 351C) we rolled three times. My brother, to this day is not the best driver. Anyway My first was a 2011 GT Convertible. It was not my daily, I had a Raptor for that. The car was found with 3000 miles at a local dealer and was pristine. Snagged it 8 months old for $30k. It had a 6 speed manual and I loved to drive it. Even drove it when we moved from NY to Florida, great car. Sold it to buy an auto 2015 GT Convertible. Reason for the auto was wife can't drive a stick. Had that gorgeous car for a hair over 6 years. In January of 2021, I got a bug up my ass about getting a Shelby. One of the most special cars I have ever owned. Still not my daily, and there's no better way to connect with your driving experience than through a manual. I've had Paddles on a half dozen or more cars, including my 2015 GT Vert. Its not bad, but its not able to play with engagement and launch very differently.

Doc Holladay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 Lariat; 2020 Subaru Forester
I placed an order Nov 1 with Jay at Granger Motors for a 2022 Mach 1 with 700A EG, 10 Speed Auto and HP. There were several reasons I went with the 10 speed over the 6 manual. The biggest reason I am an old fart don't want the hassel of shifting, second my favorite road trip is A1A between Port Canaveral and Vero Beach and there must be 500 traffic lights and cross walks on that stretch of road and lastly from what I can find on the internet, that 3.55 TORSEN 10 speed is "bad ass" for the sports car enthusiast. I must add in this post my "spouse" she is not into sports cars but maybe just maybe she will drive the Mustang Mach 1 since it will have automatic trans...wait a minute did I just say spouse will drive mustang...nope I think I will change the order to a 6 speed...LOL

19Ingot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT PP1 A10
I was a die hard manual driver ever since my first car. Every vehicle I've owned up till my current '19 GT has been a manual. To me, a sports car should have a manual trans, but that's just my opinion...I was a Florida Highway Patrol Trooper but was involved in an off duty motorcycle accident that ended my career. As a result of the accident, my left arm, from my shoulder to finger tips is completely paralyzed. So obviously with one arm, I don't really have a choice and am forced to get an auto. Luckily nowadays automatics have become awesome performers and soon will be the only choice....However, given the choice, I would have a manual. To me, its just more fun and engaging to drive, to each his own.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
What about FUN? Is the A10 FUN? Is any torque-converter automatic fun? I just can't get over the slushy feel.
Nope.

A couple of years ago I rented a Mustang, so it was an automatic.
I didn't think the A10 had a slushy feel, but it made the car unresponsive because it was in such a high gear.

I drove it to the mountains of Virginia, and saw that the A10 was utterly clueless about how to drive a mountain road. It would use a ridiculous high gear, even going uphill, and kept the engine in a constant state of bogging down. That EcoBoost engine should have no shortage of torque at 4000rpm... And the transmission kept it below 3000rpm all the time.
When I came to a curve, the high gear was even more of a liability, and I kept having to override it with the paddles. After several seconds without an input, it would go back to its programming, which meant it shifted up 2 or 3 gears.
**** that šŸ’©
Driving the automatic proved to me that if I bought my own Mustang, I wanted a manual transmission.

Now that I own a 2020 6-speed Mustang, I'm happy about that decision. šŸ˜Š

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Nope.

A couple of years ago I rented a Mustang, so it was an automatic.
I didn't think the A10 had a slushy feel, but it made the car unresponsive because it was in such a high gear.

I drove it to the mountains of Virginia, and saw that the A10 was utterly clueless about how to drive a mountain road. It would use a ridiculous high gear, even going uphill, and kept the engine in a constant state of bogging down. That EcoBoost engine should have no shortage of torque at 4000rpm... And the transmission kept it below 3000rpm all the time.
When I came to a curve, the high gear was even more of a liability, and I kept having to override it with the paddles. After several seconds without an input, it would go back to its programming, which meant it shifted up 2 or 3 gears.
**** that šŸ’©
Driving the automatic proved to me that if I bought my own Mustang, I wanted a manual transmission.

Now that I own a 2020 6-speed Mustang, I'm happy about that decision. šŸ˜Š
If you put the auto trans in ā€œSā€ mode it wouldnā€™t go back to overiding your paddles.
I do agree with the 10 speed not being the best on windy hills, but thatā€™s when I put the trans in sport mode and usually only use gears 1-6.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
My three previous Mustangs were all manuals, but there isn't a manual option for this one. Honestly this car would be scary with a stick, and it would be much much slower and put the power down way worse I'm sure.

sphinx

Mr. Whipple
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang GT Fastback
Banging gears on the parents couch when I was 5, watching races on TV. In the garage with my uncles while they worked on their 66 and 67 Mustang stick shift cars. Was shifting motorcycles @ 8 yrs old up to the point where I got my first car, a 68 Camaro with a 4 speed. The tractors at my aunt and uncles were sticks I drove when we bailed hay. All my cars through the years have been sticks. My trucks though, automatics with the exception of a previously owned 71 Monte Carlo.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Regarding the dual-clutch automatics, I have owned two and while they are slightly faster than the A10, most differences lie in programming and less gears to control. I believe you will find most manufacturers will go to the ZF 8 speed. You can't tell it from a PDK, except if it breaks. Dual clutch transmissions are extremely expensive to repair/replace and have a number of suspect components that a conventional automatic don't have. BMW has already switched from dual-clutch to ZF 8 speed. Others will follow.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Banging gears on the parents couch when I was 5, watching races on TV. In the garage with my uncles while they worked on their 66 and 67 Mustang stick shift cars. Was shifting motorcycles @ 8 yrs old up to the point where I got my first car, a 68 Camaro with a 4 speed. The tractors at my aunt and uncles were sticks I drove when we bailed hay. All my cars through the years have been sticks. My trucks though, automatics with the exception of a previously owned 71 Monte Carlo.
My first tractor was a 4 speed manual, but now I have a hydrostatic transmission or whatever you call it. not as fast, but a lot easier to work with. Just gotta remember to get my foot on the right go pedal.

mustang jerry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150, 2019 edge st, 2020 mustang gt,
Because it's significantly faster, can be pretty fun with the paddles and the only other option is the MT82 and that's pure garbage (made even more so in 2018 with the whack gearing).

If the Tremec was available in all GTs from 2015 on I would say the decision would've been alot harder. But given the state of the current manual choice for GTs, it's almost a no brainer.

mustang jerry

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150, 2019 edge st, 2020 mustang gt,
Shifting is more entertaining than an auto, but the mt82 is not the best for spirited or dragstrip use, If your going to drag race car get the auto, its 1/2 second faster in 1/4 mile and just rips thru the gears. My 2020 stock auto gtcs ran 12.13 bone stock and with drag radials and skinnies up front ran 11.88 @ 119.4 mph. If no interest in racing get stick,

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Shifting is more entertaining than an auto, but the mt82 is not the best for spirited or dragstrip use, If your going to drag race car get the auto, its 1/2 second faster in 1/4 mile and just rips thru the gears. My 2020 stock auto gtcs ran 12.13 bone stock and with drag radials and skinnies up front ran 11.88 @ 119.4 mph. If no interest in racing get stick,
Agreed I drag race my manual but Iā€™m under no illusions about it. If you want to drag race a lot get an auto 100%, also if the car is over 700 hp just get an auto.
Sponsored