Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
TL;DR -- I've been a car nut since early childhood, got "hooked" on manual transmission cars, and my experience has been that manual is fun (no matter how much or little power), and automatic is boring (regardless of power). But I see a lot of people are buying A6/A10 S550's and I'd like to find out the inspiration, motivation, and a little bit about your car story. Please do tell!

(full version follows)

Background (skip if you want): I'm gonna maybe show my age a little here. I'm 46 years old and I've been a "car nut" since at least the age of 5. Probably earlier for toy cars. But for real, live cars, I paid attention and knew makes and models at age 5. I vividly remember seeing (and loving) the late 70's Pontiac Trans Ams (I'd say "Tran ZAM") as well as the late 70's T-birds (I liked the window glass logo and the headlights). In that age timeframe, my mom had a daily paper route and I rode with her in the car for some 6-8 hours a day, so we saw cars constantly. Additionally, my parents had a rapid succession of what we, back then, would call jalopies (in the 90's, a hooptie, in present day, I guess sh**box). Lots of $100-$500 cars. When a major part failed, it got pushed into the back yard and another jalopy was purchased to get to work/school (my very young parents both worked AND attended full-time university with zero financial resources from either family).

Fast forward to about the age of 12. My dad was still buying jalopy-like cars, but also took to buying old pick-up trucks and "flipping" them for some cash. The first one he got was also the first vehicle I got to "drive"! It was a 1979 Ford F150 long-bed, single cab, inline 6. We lived on a large lot (didn't own it, still no money), and my dad would let me move the truck around our yard. Not far. A few yards this way or that, but imagine how a 12 year old feels being given the keys to a truck and told he can start it and move it?! I was king of the world! At that moment I knew that I was destined to own a Ford F150 :) For a long time, this was my "dream car." This became a series of flip trucks that I got to drive around the yard, including a 1977 F150, 1983 F150, 1983 Dodge Ram 1500, and a *lifted and tricked out* 1981 Toyota truck.

To my point: The Toyota was a "stick shift" 5-speed, and was my first exposure to personally driving a manual transmission (my parents had many manuals over the years, including my mom's two jalopy Ford Pintos). Without training or help, I managed to figure out how to move the truck around the yard without even burning up the clutch....somehow.

Fast forward a bit more to age 16. My first car was technically being handed-down my mom's 1985 Chevette. It was an automatic. A 3-speed. The car served us well, but let's be honest, those were terrible cars. I sold the car and bought a 1979 Malibu, which I promptly wrecked (hard, into a ditch). This left us with one car for us all to get to school/work, etc, and it was my mom's 5-speed (semi-jalopy) 1983 Mazda 626. It was on THIS car that I actually had to learn how to drive a manual by driving it every single day, and it was on THIS car when I fell in love with rowing the gears and having full control of the engine and motion of the car.

Going into adulthood now, I think back... I haven't owned as many cars as many people, but most of them (and over the most years) have been manuals. My last one I sold 4 years ago (a 2014 Civic Si) and I really miss shifting, even though I love my F150 4x4. The first brand-new car I bought was a 1998 VW Passat 5-speed 1.8 turbo. My second brand-new car was a 2000 Camaro Z28 6-speed (factory Hurst shifter).... I really learned the fun of a stick with the Camaro. I felt in full control of the car and I could control how and when to break loose the rear-end for a little intentional drift. Much to the chagrin of my passengers. I was 25 years old.

Finally to today! I want to get back into a manual car. I've even sold my wife on the idea (she also drove my Civic Si regularly). I have insisted that if and when we get a "play" car, it has to be a manual; otherwise, what's the point? Any car can be put into Drive and accelerate quickly. It's 2021. Your average passenger sedan can outrun the sports cars of the late 70's, all of the 80's and the early 90's. Whoop-ti-do. I know the A10 in the S550 is great for drag racing. I just don't care. I've owned an automatic Mustang (2001 GT). It was boring. The best part of the car was the exhaust note, but it was just a bore after a while and the too-fast-into-2nd-gear shifting was just obnoxiously dull. So for those who have chosen an A10 S550, I'd love to hear your story and your "why." Thanks for the discussion! Please keep light-hearted. I'm not insulting people who drive automatics nor automatics themselves, other than to say in my experience, they're boring. I'm curious, for those who have done so, why you chose an automatic S550....

Thanks for indulging me.
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02ā€™ 360, 06ā€™ GT, 11ā€™ GT500, 15ā€™ 911, 17ā€™ 350
The A10 in the 2018+ Is near perfection. Canā€™t shift as fast and itā€™s pretty beefy for the strip on regular power adders without having to throw money into (for at least the weekend warrior). The MT82 while good hasnā€™t had the reputation as other transmissions prior to, in the Shelbys, or previous generations.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The A10 in the 2018+ Is near perfection. Canā€™t shift as fast and itā€™s pretty beefy for the strip on regular power adders without having to throw money into (for at least the weekend warrior). The MT82 while good hasnā€™t had the reputation as other transmissions prior to, in the Shelbys, or previous generations.
But it isn't always about how fast it can shift. There's a reason why supercar enthusiasts are lamenting the loss of gated manuals on Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Sure the paddle-shift/automatic is faster. There's no gap between shifts and there are more gears... But again, for me it isn't about how fast I can shift. I enjoy a good 1/4 mile race just as much as the next guy, but being a couple of 10ths faster, while great for bragging rights, just isn't in my list of priorities anymore.

What about FUN? Is the A10 FUN? Is any torque-converter automatic fun? I just can't get over the slushy feel. I accept it in my F150, but wonder how people feel about that in a Mustang.

Addendum: Lots of threads about the MT82. Some issues, most don't have issues, but the exact same could be said for the T5 in foxbodies. Some say they are like a glass transmission, unreliable, etc, and yet the majority of fox owners in 2021 prefer and want a T5 car.... The fact that there are many of them still working after 35 years of service tells me they weren't that bad if you didn't abuse them.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum Zero! I enjoyed your introduction. Just hope you didn't open a can of worms as there are a few threads debating the superiority and pure fun of driving a stick over an auto! :cwl:
(this is a joke so no auto guys and gals should take offense :cwl: ).

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I wish I still had a manual but I had to buy an A10 so the wife could use it sometimes or if I'm too drunk to drive home.. lol
I wanted to upgrade my 15GT manual to the new Mach 1 and the only way the Wife would agree was if I got an Auto.
Most of the time I use the paddles so I have engagement with the car like a manual. Not the same, I know but it does make it fun to drive.
The nice thing now is that when I'm in traffic or on slower roads in town or have a coffee in my hand, I have the option to go full Auto.
Different strokes for different folks and everyone has a different situation.
I used to be that guy that says manual or you're a fool and shouldn't have a sports car but now at an older, wiser age I see how ignorant and immature my thinking was.

Sponsored

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I have always loved manuals. But to be honest, after having my charger scat pack in 15 it just worked, made sense to have an automatic with that bit of power. Keeping both hands on the wheel and not having to worry about your shift, or hitting a rev limit. Plus after I got my GT, the car itself was beautiful and automatic. Once I found out what the car was packing under the hood,I'm glad it's automatic for the same reasons. This kind of power it just makes sense.

Last edited:

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Simple for me. Manual = not fun. Not fun in traffic where much of the time driving is actually spent. Not fun buying clutch replacement. Not fun needing another person to drive the car. Not fun as my left knee ages. Iā€™ve owned manual v8 mustang and other manual sports cars. Very happy with the a10. Glad there was a choice.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
But it isn't always about how fast it can shift. There's a reason why supercar enthusiasts are lamenting the loss of gated manuals on Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Sure the paddle-shift/automatic is faster. There's no gap between shifts and there are more gears... But again, for me it isn't about how fast I can shift. I enjoy a good 1/4 mile race just as much as the next guy, but being a couple of 10ths faster, while great for bragging rights, just isn't in my list of priorities anymore.

What about FUN? Is the A10 FUN? Is any torque-converter automatic fun? I just can't get over the slushy feel. I accept it in my F150, but wonder how people feel about that in a Mustang.

Addendum: Lots of threads about the MT82. Some issues, most don't have issues, but the exact same could be said for the T5 in foxbodies. Some say they are like a glass transmission, unreliable, etc, and yet the majority of fox owners in 2021 prefer and want a T5 car.... The fact that there are many of them still working after 35 years of service tells me they weren't that bad if you didn't abuse them.
I bought my 06 GT new with an auto trans. At the time I thought my wife would be driving it as well. She was not a fan of manual trans since driving my 70 Torino Cobra. Well in the 14 years I owned the 06, she never drove it! 2021 was my time to get back to a manual. Glad I did.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
TL;DR -- I've been a car nut since early childhood, got "hooked" on manual transmission cars, and my experience has been that manual is fun (no matter how much or little power), and automatic is boring (regardless of power). But I see a lot of people are buying A6/A10 S550's and I'd like to find out the inspiration, motivation, and a little bit about your car story. Please do tell!

(full version follows)

Background (skip if you want): I'm gonna maybe show my age a little here. I'm 46 years old and I've been a "car nut" since at least the age of 5. Probably earlier for toy cars. But for real, live cars, I paid attention and knew makes and models at age 5. I vividly remember seeing (and loving) the late 70's Pontiac Trans Ams (I'd say "Tran ZAM") as well as the late 70's T-birds (I liked the window glass logo and the headlights). In that age timeframe, my mom had a daily paper route and I rode with her in the car for some 6-8 hours a day, so we saw cars constantly. Additionally, my parents had a rapid succession of what we, back then, would call jalopies (in the 90's, a hooptie, in present day, I guess sh**box). Lots of $100-$500 cars. When a major part failed, it got pushed into the back yard and another jalopy was purchased to get to work/school (my very young parents both worked AND attended full-time university with zero financial resources from either family).

Fast forward to about the age of 12. My dad was still buying jalopy-like cars, but also took to buying old pick-up trucks and "flipping" them for some cash. The first one he got was also the first vehicle I got to "drive"! It was a 1979 Ford F150 long-bed, single cab, inline 6. We lived on a large lot (didn't own it, still no money), and my dad would let me move the truck around our yard. Not far. A few yards this way or that, but imagine how a 12 year old feels being given the keys to a truck and told he can start it and move it?! I was king of the world! At that moment I knew that I was destined to own a Ford F150 :) For a long time, this was my "dream car." This became a series of flip trucks that I got to drive around the yard, including a 1977 F150, 1983 F150, 1983 Dodge Ram 1500, and a *lifted and tricked out* 1981 Toyota truck.

To my point: The Toyota was a "stick shift" 5-speed, and was my first exposure to personally driving a manual transmission (my parents had many manuals over the years, including my mom's two jalopy Ford Pintos). Without training or help, I managed to figure out how to move the truck around the yard without even burning up the clutch....somehow.

Fast forward a bit more to age 16. My first car was technically being handed-down my mom's 1985 Chevette. It was an automatic. A 3-speed. The car served us well, but let's be honest, those were terrible cars. I sold the car and bought a 1979 Malibu, which I promptly wrecked (hard, into a ditch). This left us with one car for us all to get to school/work, etc, and it was my mom's 5-speed (semi-jalopy) 1983 Mazda 626. It was on THIS car that I actually had to learn how to drive a manual by driving it every single day, and it was on THIS car when I fell in love with rowing the gears and having full control of the engine and motion of the car.

Going into adulthood now, I think back... I haven't owned as many cars as many people, but most of them (and over the most years) have been manuals. My last one I sold 4 years ago (a 2014 Civic Si) and I really miss shifting, even though I love my F150 4x4. The first brand-new car I bought was a 1998 VW Passat 5-speed 1.8 turbo. My second brand-new car was a 2000 Camaro Z28 6-speed (factory Hurst shifter).... I really learned the fun of a stick with the Camaro. I felt in full control of the car and I could control how and when to break loose the rear-end for a little intentional drift. Much to the chagrin of my passengers. I was 25 years old.

Finally to today! I want to get back into a manual car. I've even sold my wife on the idea (she also drove my Civic Si regularly). I have insisted that if and when we get a "play" car, it has to be a manual; otherwise, what's the point? Any car can be put into Drive and accelerate quickly. It's 2021. Your average passenger sedan can outrun the sports cars of the late 70's, all of the 80's and the early 90's. Whoop-ti-do. I know the A10 in the S550 is great for drag racing. I just don't care. I've owned an automatic Mustang (2001 GT). It was boring. The best part of the car was the exhaust note, but it was just a bore after a while and the too-fast-into-2nd-gear shifting was just obnoxiously dull. So for those who have chosen an A10 S550, I'd love to hear your story and your "why." Thanks for the discussion! Please keep light-hearted. I'm not insulting people who drive automatics nor automatics themselves, other than to say in my experience, they're boring. I'm curious, for those who have done so, why you chose an automatic S550....

Thanks for indulging me.
Simple for me. Manual = not fun. Not fun in traffic where much of the time driving is actually spent. Not fun buying clutch replacement. Not fun needing another person to drive the car. Not fun as my left knee ages. Iā€™ve owned manual v8 mustang and other manual sports cars. Very happy with the a10. Glad there was a choice.
Bad left knee.sokd my gt500 to but a 19 gt premium.
I like the auto,first it's faster,second if you use the manual shift mode it's pretty close to manual

Sponsored
OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
And the A10 comes standard with the remote start feature which is great. The various mode toggle provides much entertainment from soft to jet fighter driving. Not boring at all!
I do like remote start, which I have on my F150, but this car is a fair-weather/weekend toy and will sit backed-in to the garage. If I remote started it, I'd die of carbon monoxide poisoning inside the house :) I also just don't need remote start on this one since it's not a daily driver.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
For me I drove only manuals as a young guy and honestly got tired of them. I love the A10 it is not anything like any auto I've driven before. One thing that's cool is how you can really control the way the car shifts by modulating the right foot some. I can drive it hard and get smooth softer shifts or neck snapping shifts by feathering the gas pedal.

Also the modes are a blast and I find the shift behaviour on Track Mode tends to mimic a manual driver's shift patterns overall. But I respect anyone's choice to drive what they like and certainly I can see where they may prefer a manual for different reasons than mine.

Simply put this car is a blast to drive and keeps me grinning :)
Sponsored