OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Lets take extreme swings so the differences can be easily seen. Im simply going to use roundabout numbers. Lets say your blower is maxed out and capable of 1500 hp. Theoretically with the proper provisions to accommodate different engines, that blower maxed out will generally make 1500hp on a 2.0l engine or a 7.0l engine. Now obvious differences will be pressure in the manifold for each engine. Lets say 50psi and 25psi respectively. More power will be needed to turn the blower to compress 50psi and along with that comes more heat.

A slight increase in volumetric efficiency in your case with porting the heads may result in less parasitic loss to drive the blower and a touch less heat. But is that quantifiable? Will it add up to anything at the track? Likely not. Blower setups are basically limited to the capability of the compressor. Spend your money on things that will improve reliability like good rods and a trick set of valves.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and reliability (within reason) is one of the goals.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Keep in mind engine modifications/gains as always are cumulative. It's not to say that increasing engine efficiency on a blower setup is a moot point. Those things do add up to increased overall system efficiency and there is quantifiable gains. But one must maximize virtually everything to see that gain. The question is, is it worth it to you?

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Keep in mind engine modifications/gains as always are cumulative. It's not to say that increasing engine efficiency and output on a blower setup is a moot point. Those things do add up to increased overall system efficiency and there is quantifiable gains. But one must maximize virtually everything to see that gain. The question is, is it worth it to you?
therein lies the dilemma..I was considering a better intake, maybe a better intercooler, valves for sure.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
therein lies the dilemma..I was considering a better intake, maybe a better intercooler, valves for sure.
Do what you need to do with the internal components first. External components can easily be swapped anytime. In terms of spending, there will be many things that will need your attention on your way to going fast. Tackle the most difficult and or costly items up front.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The link that you posted earlier included stock valves. The additional cost for aftermarket valves is substantial. Factoring in the cost for valves, new guides, valve seats etc. The additional cost for porting at that point is minimal.

In a situation where you are buying heads as outlined in that link that utilize stock valves, you are paying an absolute premium for the porting....

Sponsored

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
The link that you posted earlier included stock valves. The additional cost for aftermarket valves is substantial. Factoring in the cost for valves, new guides, valve seats etc. The additional cost for porting at that point is minimal.

In a situation where you are buying heads as outlined in that link that utilize stock valves, you are paying an absolute premium for the porting....
Yes they did, probably why they are cheaper than some of the other options I've seen. In the little research I've done on here (FI section), it does seem most recommend better valves.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Yes they did, probably why they are cheaper than some of the other options I've seen. In the little research I've done on here (FI section), it does seem most recommend better valves.
From the link in your original post...

Screenshot_20211125-124113.png

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I realize everyone is on a budget, but the competing and counterintuitive aspect of managing a constrained budget is "buy once cry once."

Generally speaking, unless you absolutely without a doubt KNOW you're getting EXACTLY what you want and you're NEVER going to want more, it's best to do as much (if not everything) you can when you have major assemblies out (and your ride is down).

Meaning, if you're gonna do the heads, do it all (guides, upgraded valves, new seals, etc). You've already got the heads out, you've already paid (or will pay) for shipping to and from (or core charge) you might as well, do it all. The costs are much less than having to send them out again later.

I agree with above. The only reason I did my heads is because I was a dumbass and broke a cam cap. You can't just buy an individual cam cap, you have to either buy an entire new head or have a machine shop lap and match a new one (which I understand can't just be bought individually).

Anyway, once I did that and had to send the head off, I was like screw it, I'll have them done.

I can make my power goals without my heads done and built, but once I was going through the pain of having them out and in the shop, then it only made sense to have it all done.

Like cams, the improvements to your build output are marginal and it's very expensive. Cams, head upgrades (other than valve springs and rotating components like HD chains) aren't really necessary and simply mean you end up making your power at slightly less boost.

There are race teams that are riding the edge of what a blower setup will make and therefore head work is a necessity, but for most of us mortals and amateur enthusiasts, the blower and OEM motor/heads will make more power than we want or the chassis will handle.

I'd put head work at the very bottom of your build budget/list.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Finally something with flow data. BUY EM.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
OP
OP

andrewtac