13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
1637535467545.png

I'm not gonna die laughing at it. I'm not even going to snicker, but you won't see me in one. Not even if I could easily afford it. It is interesting though. I wonder how much the wheels contribute to brake cooling and ground effects?
Maybe I should have read the link.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
It is an amazing piece of engineering on GM's part. They put in the effort where Ford cut corners on the VooDoo. The main factor was Chevy realized the FPC needed to be a Bespoke motor in order to achieve consistency. Ford tried to produce an FPC using assembly-line quality parts and powertrain commonality with the Coyote. IMHO that's why so many VooDoos have eaten themselves. If they weren't already sold out until 2026, I'd seriously consider jumping ship.
IMHO Ford did not cut any corners. They wanted a unique FPC to try to retain the sound of a Mustang and could not use the standard UDDU. The Corvette is a totally different car and that sound actually takes it up one level. It would have fit on the Ford GT but, not a Mustang. The Corvette is a good looking car but it does not say Corvette to a lot of people. The C7 was gorgeous. That Ferrari, 🤮

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Stunning looks! Looks so different from any other American car!

When you are going over $100K, that is the car to get!

Mustang still reigns under $100K.

CVCashmere

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase

IMHO Ford did not cut any corners. They wanted a unique FPC to try to retain the sound of a Mustang and could not use the standard UDDU. The Corvette is a totally different car and that sound actually takes it up one level. It would have fit on the Ford GT but, not a Mustang. The Corvette is a good looking car but it does not say Corvette to a lot of people. The C7 was gorgeous. That Ferrari, 🤮
Oh, I'm not talking about the layout homie, I'm speaking in terms of parts quality. I love the sound of mine as well but they tried to streamline the build process as much as they could. Yes, they are hand-assembled but that does not mean hand-built. There is a lot that goes into balancing and blueprinting a motor, that, and adding those little touches like titanium connecting rods, real iron cylinder sleeves, CNC machined ports/chambers, etc. Maybe it'll have problems but I don't think so, as Chevy has been running this motor for a while on track.

Ford just tried to save money, probably to help bring it down to an affordable level but were are also profit margins built in it. Engines need to be built tough. Why? because half the owners don't understand how to care for them properly. Most just want to know it'll start every time you push the button. Specifically, in our FPC, thermal expansion must be met before you can even utilize the powerband properly and if OATs are below 55* you cannot even keep your oil temp @ the required 190* (not to be confused with cylinder head temp). That coupled with bad plasma linings in the first gens, bad valves, and assemble line errors on the tensioners for the second-gen has led to an abundance of VooDoo replacements. Don't get me wrong, I am a Ford guy at heart. This is my second S550, I've owned an S197 and two fox bodies as well. I just think from a pure engineering standpoint the C8 Z06 is an amazing value, way more so than the GT350, regardless of the actual affordability.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
With all of the electronic 'wizardry' fully available to Ford, I'm amazed they don't do pro-active engine management. My $12,000 ducati simply will not permit me to rev it past 4k until it's properly warm. I haven't gotten it so hot to see if it also does the converse but What's so hard about running cyl7/8 rich to help with cooling? Granted Ford should have spent more time coming up with a better thought-out cooling solution - eg. dual-zone.

I agree the Voodoo's warts can be traced back to trying to go cheep.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Oh, I'm not talking about the layout homie, I'm speaking in terms of parts quality. I love the sound of mine as well but they tried to streamline the build process as much as they could. Yes, they are hand-assembled but that does not mean hand-built. There is a lot that goes into balancing and blueprinting a motor, that, and adding those little touches like titanium connecting rods, real iron cylinder sleeves, CNC machined ports/chambers, etc. Maybe it'll have problems but I don't think so, as Chevy has been running this motor for a while on track.

Ford just tried to save money, probably to help bring it down to an affordable level but were are also profit margins built in it. Engines need to be built tough. Why? because half the owners don't understand how to care for them properly. Most just want to know it'll start every time you push the button. Specifically, in our FPC, thermal expansion must be met before you can even utilize the powerband properly and if OATs are below 55* you cannot even keep your oil temp @ the required 190* (not to be confused with cylinder head temp). That coupled with bad plasma linings in the first gens, bad valves, and assemble line errors on the tensioners for the second-gen has led to an abundance of VooDoo replacements. Don't get me wrong, I am a Ford guy at heart. This is my second S550, I've owned an S197 and two fox bodies as well. I just think from a pure engineering standpoint the C8 Z06 is an amazing value, way more so than the GT350, regardless of the actual affordability.
I believe this segment cannot be overstated. I think there are a lot of owners who start a cold Voodoo and when it idles down after a minute or two they proceed like it's game on.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am posting this here as it is the only other American flat plane crank. It does have pretty impressive numbers.

0-60 in 2.6 seconds
six-piston Brembos (Z07 package gets carbon-ceramic brakes)
8600 redline
670 HP

Looks are subjective. The manual vs DCT is also a matter of opinion (I do prefer to row my own gears). Anyone upgrading to this? Or parking alongside their GT350(R)?

Not a fan of this. Looks like someone kicked it in the ass and left their foot in there.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

Possibly true, only time with the car in owners hands will tell. I remember the problems with the intro of the C7.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Possibly true, only time with the car in owners hands will tell. I remember the problems with the intro of the C7.
As I recall, the big problem with the intro of the C7 Z06 was heat soak and the drop in performance that accompanied it. The mid-engine layout is specifically intended to remedy that, as well as improve the handling capability beyond what GM could achieve with front mid engine placement. Going back to a naturally aspirated engine eliminates the heat produced by the supercharger which was the source of the C7 Z06 heat issues. That plus having over two years experience with the engine, drivetrain, and layout with the C8.R racing teams goes a long way beyond what was done with C7.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
As I recall, the big problem with the intro of the C7 Z06 was heat soak and the drop in performance that accompanied it. The mid-engine layout is specifically intended to remedy that, as well as improve the handling capability beyond what GM could achieve with front mid engine placement. Going back to a naturally aspirated engine eliminates the heat produced by the supercharger which was the source of the C7 Z06 heat issues. That plus having over two years experience with the engine, drivetrain, and layout with the C8.R racing teams goes a long way beyond what was done with C7.
First time I saw the C7 was at a track day. Three came in and none made it through the day. One engine and two heat issues. Not saying the new one will experience the same just saying we wont know until the public gets their hands on it.

mybootsonfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The z06 is awesome but something is odd to me. For as quick as it is, why doesn't the c8(non z06 variants) clock better lap times?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Of course a lot of Mustang guys are going to hate it or put it down or ridicule some of it's styling, that's to be expected.

Every time I see one, I want to run up to it and look. Still looks like a Corvette to me and makes my Mustang look dated in comparison.
I wish the Mustang were closer to Corvette size and weight. About 3600 lbs is a lot better weight than 3800 plus. I don't really like the Corvette styling that much though. Too many sharp creases going everywhere. It has that Japanese style similar to newer Lexuses and Hondas. It's a little busy for me.

I agree with this. I prefer Ford in general, but I don't really like PTWA engine blocks. They are cheaper to make and then you generally throw them away or do a lot of machining to add cylinder liners. And I agree that the Voodoo would have benefitted a lot if Ford would have been willing to change bore and stroke to more favorable ratios instead of being completely locked into Coyote architecture.

With all of the electronic 'wizardry' fully available to Ford, I'm amazed they don't do pro-active engine management. My $12,000 ducati simply will not permit me to rev it past 4k until it's properly warm. I haven't gotten it so hot to see if it also does the converse but What's so hard about running cyl7/8 rich to help with cooling? Granted Ford should have spent more time coming up with a better thought-out cooling solution - eg. dual-zone.

I agree the Voodoo's warts can be traced back to trying to go cheep.
Yes. They should have prevented people from lugging the engine as well. The ECU should never open the throttle completely unless you are in first gear or over 3,000 rpm.

The z06 is awesome but something is odd to me. For as quick as it is, why doesn't the c8(non z06 variants) clock better lap times?
The base 'vette is designed for the people who buy most Corvettes. It's not designed as a sports car first and foremost. It carries golf clubs better than it turns corners.
Sponsored