Procharged 2014 overheating issue HELP NEEDED

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Have you tried driving it around without the thermostat?

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Don't know what the stock thermostat is, but 160 - 170 sounds low.

If the thermostat is full open at 170, and say normal running temp is 200.

What happens is the water never stays in the radiator long enough to dissipate heat. It's as bad as not having a thermostat .

Some thinking is the 160 - 170 means car should run happy, cooler rang, opening sooner.

Maybe a 6 banger, a V8 needs the water to stay in the radiator longer. 160-180 were a common thermostat setting many years ago now.

Also high flow water pump, pumps the water thru the radiator fast. So you have fast flow, no more cooling happening.

Cooling only happens with the ambient air flowing thru the radiator. Cooling the water in the core. Speeding that water up dose not make it cool more effectively .
I Agree. In such a hot climate you should not run that low of a thermostat, the airflow and the efficiency of the radiator cooling will be none existent.
- Verify Cats are not clogged restricting flow, either remove (Best for Engine) or get a set of high flow cats which will flow enough for the FI boost you are using.
- Send your data log to a good tuner like Wengerd and see if they can see an issue which could cause overheating.
- Make sure all of the radiator shrouds, air deflectors, covers ETC are installed.
- Manually connect your radiator fans to an on-Off switch inside so you can turn them On-Off when racing or necessary.
- Make sure your AC is turning off under full throttle.
- Do a Pressure/drop down on your Coolant system to ensure their are no leaks (remove thermostat during test).
- Do a Cylinder Pressure Leak Down check not a Compression check, to see if all cylinders are within specs from each other.
- Bore scope your cylinders/Pistons and check for hot spots, uneven burning ETC.
- Make sure your hood vents are working and actually removing the engine compartment heat not trapping it.
- ** Mount a Digital Wifi Thermostat in your engine compartment and data log the engine bay temperatures during cruising and Hard pulls see if you see an issue.
Good luck

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The 170 Tstat is just fine. It won't fully open until 190 or so.

I still think I'd remove the intercooler and drive down the highway. Driving 60 mph will shove more air than any fan. If it still overheats you have other problems.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I Agree. In such a hot climate you should not run that low of a thermostat, the airflow and the efficiency of the radiator cooling will be none existent.
- Verify Cats are not clogged restricting flow, either remove (Best for Engine) or get a set of high flow cats which will flow enough for the FI boost you are using.
- Send your data log to a good tuner like Wengerd and see if they can see an issue which could cause overheating.
- Make sure all of the radiator shrouds, air deflectors, covers ETC are installed.
- Manually connect your radiator fans to an on-Off switch inside so you can turn them On-Off when racing or necessary.
- Make sure your AC is turning off under full throttle.
- Do a Pressure/drop down on your Coolant system to ensure their are no leaks (remove thermostat during test).
- Do a Cylinder Pressure Leak Down check not a Compression check, to see if all cylinders are within specs from each other.
- Bore scope your cylinders/Pistons and check for hot spots, uneven burning ETC.
- Make sure your hood vents are working and actually removing the engine compartment heat not trapping it.
- ** Mount a Digital Wifi Thermostat in your engine compartment and data log the engine bay temperatures during cruising and Hard pulls see if you see an issue.
Good luck
These are all good ideas but I’m not sure what some of them have to do with overheating. The car doesn’t overheat all winter so I’m thinking it’s not engine damage or cats. It just can’t dissipate enough heat. During the winter the radiator did not need as much airflow through the radiator because the air was much cooler. You don’t need as much air if it’s cold. You need a lot more air to cool if it’s warmer air.
I would like him to add a way to measure the airflow through the radiator if possible

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
These are all good ideas but I’m not sure what some of them have to do with overheating. The car doesn’t overheat all winter so I’m thinking it’s not engine damage or cats. It just can’t dissipate enough heat. During the winter the radiator did not need as much airflow through the radiator because the air was much cooler. You don’t need as much air if it’s cold. You need a lot more air to cool if it’s warmer air.
I would like him to add a way to measure the airflow through the radiator if possible
in life, when everything else fails, you have to think outside the box and go for things you normally wouldn't think would cause a particular issue. And yes, all of those things I listed can and will cause overheating issues. Good luck

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Please explain that. That makes absolutely no sense. I’m in NM, north of a hundred from end of May to end of Sept.We do not, nor have we ever left a 210 tstat in a vehicle that see’s any kind of real use during the summer. 160’s are the norm as are over sized radiators. Whipple as I’m sure just about every other company comes with low tstat as part of there kits.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
in life, when everything else fails, you have to think outside the box and go for things you normally wouldn't think would cause a particular issue. And yes, all of those things I listed can and will cause overheating issues. Good luck
A leak down test is not going to help with overheating. Factory cats are better than high flow cats. And a lower thermostat is not going to have a negative effect on cooling. Just like taking it out won’t ether

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Just like taking it out won’t ether
Have not tried it on today's engines but back in the day we had to put a restrictor washer in the Tstat housing or they would overheat, Coolant was moving too fast to properly cool.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
We use to drill bypass holes in the tstat's instead of completely removing them for the reason you stated.

Have not tried it on today's engines but back in the day we had to put a restrictor washer in the Tstat housing or they would overheat, Coolant was moving too fast to properly cool.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Used to do that to race cars but I’ve never heard of anyone doing it on a street car. If you take out the thermostat on these cars it will cause it to not maintain operating temperature

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We use to drill bypass holes in the tstat's instead of completely removing them for the reason you stated.
I alway hear that was to insure it would pass water if it seized closed.

OP
OP

Procharged 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILLIAM
Vehicle(s)
2014 procharged mustang gt

Alright well I installed this exact fan today and took the car out again. Same outcome. cylinder head temps got over 230 and coolant was around 220 all in a 15min drive and never going over 3500rpm or seeing any boost. also the outside air temp was only 95 degrees today which if 15 degrees cooler than last time i drove it.

the weird thing is the car runs and drives great. no symptoms of any engine damage at all. So i'm really at a loss at the moment.

Does anyone know if its possible to install the wrong head gasket or intall them incorrectly? that's the only thing I can think of right now

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There are 2 gaskets. Gen 1 and 2 use the same one, gen 3 uses a different one. I do not know if a gen 3 gasket will fit a gen 2.

I also know there is left and right

With no boost and driving 45 and faster you should not need a fan
Sponsored