First Oil Change

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
So my last car I just brought it to the dealer for maintenance and it was mad cheap since it was a Honda. Just wanted to get your guys opinion. Should I just bring the car to the dealer for oil changes?

also I’ve heard mixed things about what oil to have used. Anyone have some advice?

9A12AF6E-EF57-49AE-B506-51134CD82AEB.jpeg
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Since day one I've changed my own oil. I recommend it unless you can't or really isn't your thing. First few oil changes should be free at dealer you bought the car from. Up to you if you trust other people and kids in some cases driving your car around. I like to think the dealer now knows the difference between 15-17 (8qts) and 18-21 (10qts) but no clue since I do it myself. If I didn't do it myself, I would probably take it to my dealership till they gave me a reason not to.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
whomever does it just make sure its full b4 you leave the lot. trust me.. still a lot of techs that dont know it went to 10qts..

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
with a new car if you dont do it yourself take to dealer - use what is on the oil cap. cheap is not what you want to do with a nice car like you have now.

Sponsored

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Like most, I do my own oil changes. However if for whatever reason you don't/can't do them yourself, then yes, I'd take it to the dealer. Even better, find a good performance shop in your area that folks like. They will do it as well, may cost a tad more then the dealer, but they usually go above and beyond (vacuum the car/clean windows/check other items/etc.) if they are truly a good/quality shop. I to prefer 5w30 over the recommended 5w20. I'm also the weirdo that will do oil changes between 3-5K miles depending on how I drive the car. Its cheap insurance if you ask me.

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Like most, I do my own oil changes. However if for whatever reason you don't/can't do them yourself, then yes, I'd take it to the dealer. Even better, find a good performance shop in your area that folks like. They will do it as well, may cost a tad more then the dealer, but they usually go above and beyond (vacuum the car/clean windows/check other items/etc.) if they are truly a good/quality shop. I to prefer 5w30 over the recommended 5w20. I'm also the weirdo that will do oil changes between 3-5K miles depending on how I drive the car. Its cheap insurance if you ask me.
Appreciate the feedback everyone!

ChicagoSTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I thought for non PP or not track use, the oil should be full synthetic? The dealer includes a 2 years free oil changes and the first oil change at 1550 miles, (but has been 6 months) the dealer use this type Motocraft oil part # XO-5W20-BSP. Is this synthetic blend? GT, non PP, S550, MT82 and I don’t track it.

Last edited:

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I use a dealer and do it at 5K intervals.

I don't actually trust the dealer to do a more thorough job than I would. I check behind them. I use the dealer because:
A) I work on machines all day and don't want to in my leisure time.
B) I want to have a inarguable record for warranty purposes. (I drive cars until they have virtually no value so I don't care about resale.)
C) It's cheap relative to other cars I've owned.

Either way: Prepare yourself for "The Tick™"

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I use a dealer and do it at 5K intervals.

I don't actually trust the dealer to do a more thorough job than I would. I check behind them. I use the dealer because:
A) I work on machines all day and don't want to in my leisure time.
B) I want to have a inarguable record for warranty purposes. (I drive cars until they have virtually no value so I don't care about resale.)
C) It's cheap relative to other cars I've owned.

Either way: Prepare yourself for "The Tick™"
I hope I don’t get a tick🙌🏽🙌🏽

Sponsored

ChicagoSTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I read few post here about the tick. Beside the annoying sound. Has anyone encountered mechanical failure? Unless I missed it, I can’t recall reading something bad from the ticks.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
on my 2014, i always changed it myself since having it in 2014. i hardly drove her, so i typically had under 5k miles and i did it once a year. planning to do the same with the new GT as well. i don't trust anyone with my brand new car once she arrives....i want to get my rear tinted, and i'm even looking for a company who will come to my house and do it, since i really don't trust leaving it anywhere lol

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
If you are concerned about the cost, I would definitely change the oil yourself. Aside from that, I got 2 free oil changes from the Ford Pass when I purchased the car new. So far I have used one. When I went into the service department, I had the service advisor make sure and list 10 qts and 5w-30 on the work order as I have read plenty of the 8qts ordeals. After the service, I made sure to check my oil level and everything worked out well. Keep in mind that not every dealership is going to be that easy and get it right therefore after my second free oil change, I will be doing it myself. My first service was at 700 miles as a "break-in" change and I plan on changing it every 3000 miles because im old school in terms of maintenance. FYI, I have a MY21 and in my manual the oil requirement is 5w-30. Ford had quietly updated their owners manual from the 5w-20 listed in previous years where 5w-30 was only a recommendation for the track. My oil cap from factory also says 5w-30. The dealerships use Motorcraft Semi Synthetic Blend but you can always request full synthetic. If you don't mind putting in a little work, change it yourself. Id personally run 5w-30 Full Synthetic.

Dope pic by the way! :rockon: :like:

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Mine is under warranty, MY20. Do you think I can convince them to use 5W30 instead of 5W20? Maybe if swap the oil cap to show 5W30 ? Inspection will be next month.
Sponsored