Deciding on an MGW Shifter

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
I personally like the lower profile length on the race spec but it might be a bit much on the X-Spec. It's not too low but also not near as long as stock was. It's just right.
Thank you for the input, so the shifter heights/lengths (low, normal) for xspec are not the same on the race spec shifter or was "too much" meant as too much in throw reduction ?
My assumption was the only difference between race-spec and x-spec was the maximum reduction in throw.
To avoid a possible confusion: With profile length/heights I mean the length of the handle, not the reduction in throw (yes, shorter handle will result in more throw reduction because of the shorter way the handle grip has to be moved).
Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Don't know if this will help, but this is the X-spec flat stick with a custom knob that's slightly larger than the MGW Gripper.
20201022_143055.jpg

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
How does this compare to the steeda race full shifter? I found one locally for about $100 Cheaper then the MGW but all these great reviews here hmmmmmm.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Anyone have the standard/standard shifter? I'm mainly looking for better shifter feel/more precise action and don't really want anything overly short in throw or height. Also want to use my OEM CF knob with the adapter.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the standard/standard shifter? I'm mainly looking for better shifter feel/more precise action and don't really want anything overly short in throw or height. Also want to use my OEM CF knob with the adapter.
Email / Call MGW. They are great about going over the options. But I'm telling you right now - ANY MGW shifter (regardless of height) is light years better than the stock shifter. It's not even close. I can't comment on the Steeda - but I can tell you the MGW replaces not just the shifter but the entire linkage that connects to the transmission. Compared to the the MGW, the stock shifter is like a spoon in jar of mayo....

Sponsored

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Lot of other shifters report increased cabin noise from engine, exhaust, tranny etc even though they love them. This mgw shifter no one seems to report any if that just solid shifting and positive reviews.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I am playing around with the OEM, seeing how much it can be improved.

First off like the stick height & throw. Have replaced the rear snout bushing, with one made by Energy Suspension. I have a second one that will go between bottom transmission mount and cross over.

Today received, BG transmission gear oil. I am very familiar with this product and what it can do.

To be clear the MGW shifter is a very fine product, and will out preform the OEM. And really struts it stuff drag racing.

Street driving and some road course track time, quick shifting not as important. Getting in and out of the corners is key.

Consider your driving style and make the decision.

jimharrell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So is the race spec standard pretty similar in height for the handle? Just a lil bit lower? Is the low-profile and standard x-spec about the same in height?

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So is the race spec standard pretty similar in height for the handle? Just a lil bit lower? Is the low-profile and standard x-spec about the same in height?
I think the race spec, low profile is similar to the x-spec in throw length. They have the throw measurements on the MGW site.

Had mine on for over two years now. Not a single issue and nothing but improvements. No matter what option you pick, you can't go wrong. They are quality shifters.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
I am pulling the trigger on a Calimer Stage 1. Will have to send mine in for re-build since they don't have any pre-built in stock. Luckily I have an extended service contract that will cover this.

I have decided to go with the MGW to round out the upgrade. For everyone that has bought the MGW, is it better to order direct from them or one of their authorized dealers?

TIA

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
I am pulling the trigger on a Calimer Stage 1. Will have to send mine in for re-build since they don't have any pre-built in stock. Luckily I have an extended service contract that will cover this.

I have decided to go with the MGW to round out the upgrade. For everyone that has bought the MGW, is it better to order direct from them or one of their authorized dealers?

TIA
I ordered direct from MGW. Haven't checked pricing since, but cost direct from them was the same as other vendors and their customer service both before and after the sale couldn't be beat. That for me was worth ordering direct and what I would do the second time around as well.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

TIA
I bought mine from Beefcake, mostly because their site showed the flat stick option and MGW's site didn't. Even so, when I contacted MGW with a question about the thread size for a knob they were very quick to respond.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Street driving and some road course track time, quick shifting not as important. Getting in and out of the corners is key.
On the street, it's less of an issue, but precise & quick shifting, both up and down, is imperative on a road course.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
On the street, it's less of an issue, but precise & quick shifting, both up and down, is imperative on a road course.
Agree timing it everything ..........

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
Just FYI for anyone going with the MGW: They are back-ordered for 4 weeks from the date you place your order. I would assume any of their distributors are also out of stock.
Sponsored